arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper renewals at Namecheap?
(09-13-2020, 11:23 PM)deanhills Wrote: I find the renewal for dot.net compared with the purchase of the domain usually much higher.  Like with my dot.nets it's rare that there is a good opportunity for more than one year at a time.  But who knows, for my .review lower level domains maybe the renewal could have been $5 before, but then at $3 it's still a good deal.  I still feel like ankle clicking.

@ikk157  I still want to try porkbun.  I've heard really great reports about them.  

I notice that Namecheap currently has specials on .com around $8.  But for dot.net a new domain seems to be around 12$ as a special.  With renewals I've been paying around 14$ for the dot.net renewals - they've been creeping up and up.  Funnily enough I don't own any dot.coms right now.  Maybe they're not as popular as they used to be so that's why one can get cheap deals.  I also notice Namecheap has cheap deals with .co although .co has never appealed to me - looks like a chopped off .com to me  Wink   I have 6 dot.nets.  3 .review type lower level domains.  And the 3 free dot.tk I've managed to renew for a few years now.  The dot.tk ones have become almost nostalgic, but ironically for Freenom's not so good reputation, my experience has been very positive, including the technical Freenom registrar site and DNS that propagates almost immediately.  Now and then there's a hick up like I have lost the odd domain arbitrarily from Freenom, but for being free for my more experimental type Websites that don't generate any traffic I like Freenom.

I feel quite proud of myself.  I used to have about 25 or more domains, and over the last 2 years have managed to reduce the number to 12 - including 3 free domains from dot.tk. For me it was difficult to do as I really cling to the domains - took lots of self-discipline.  Let's see whether I can let go of some more.

Oh my goodness I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees .co domains as a chopped off .com .... people literally gave me weird looks whenever I’ve mentioned that hahahaha.

I myself also used to use freenom before getting my .com domain simply because I did not have a card to buy a domain, hence being stuck with freenom.

I both like and hate freenom for several reasons:

I like freenom because it’s free, what can anyone hate about that! The fact that they provide several name endings for free is impressive.

HOWEVER, after doing some research, I realized that they’ve got a dirty business model. There have been a hell of a lot of reports where if a free they provide domain gets a certain amount of traffic, freenom unregisters it and puts it up for a price... essentially holding your traffic ransom. That’s unacceptable... imagine using one of their free domains and working hard to eventually get a good amount of traffic, then BAM, you have to pay to get the domain back or end up losing it along with losing all of your traffic.

Also, their website has been quite unstable... it’s sometimes unbearably slow... and many people who have tried to register domains there found issues with the DNS entries for their domains not propagating, even if they unregister the domain then re-register it. I’ve personally experienced this as well on many occasions.

As for namecheap providing .com domains for $8, sorry bud, porkbun has those for $4.15  Troll
It seems as though porkbun’s pricing is unbeatable haha (well as of the time of writing this at least).

But holly hell how did you manage the chaos of dealing with 25+ domains.... even the 12 you currently have is still a lot! What do you even use that many domains for? Crazy
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.

Messages In This Thread
Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by deanhills - 09-13-2020, 02:10 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by sAmI - 09-13-2020, 02:14 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by deanhills - 09-13-2020, 11:23 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by ikk157 - 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by deanhills - 09-14-2020, 03:06 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by ikk157 - 09-14-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by Arkiven4 - 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by ikk157 - 09-13-2020, 07:49 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by chotu - 09-30-2020, 02:29 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by Sn1F3rt - 09-30-2020, 03:47 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by xdude - 09-30-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by chotu - 09-30-2020, 05:36 PM
RE: Cheaper renewals at Namecheap? - by deanhills - 09-30-2020, 06:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting