arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How secure are Microsoft Updates really?
I have to ask here, how secure are Microsoft Updates really? I've learned through hard experience with my last Windows 10 test that Microsoft must have a HUGE Update team, who collaborate to create a mother load of updates which then all get combined into a huge package. Not all of those updates are necessarily right for the individual computer. So the update that may be good for one user's computer is not necessarily good for another. A one size fits all package, pinching most?

I understand there is no choice. But surely Microsoft could create categories of updates and provide greater descriptions instead of glib descriptions like improving the efficiency of something. So one knows exactly what to expect of any update that runs on a computer. And have the ability to say "no" to it.

Windows Software have to become more intelligent so that when that big update package starts running, Windows should ideally test those updates first for possible conflicts with the hardware or other software before they are installed. Like there are so many different hardware and software variations, surely an analysis by the computer system should be a first "defence", and if any anomalies are detected they should be listed and the owner of the hardware given the oppotunity to cancel and disable the update permanently. The updates should be also intelligent enough to pick on having been previously rejected. Instead of popping up again and getting installed by error.

By the time an update has been installed and is conflicting with the hardware or other software it's too late to do anything. It's almost impossible to figure out exactly which update created the issue as it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Forcing one to reset Windows to a previous point. Wasting loads of time. And then the biggest issue of all, that update that created the damage, which you "avoided" by moving Windows back before the updates hit the computer, will be back again, because you have no power to disable it unless you're prepared to go into power shell and become the equivalent of a computer engineer. And from what I've heard today, we're not even able to do that any longer. A loose loose situation.

Those updates are like viruses in their own right. Like today it comes in one form as KB123 and tomorrow the exact same one comes as a different KB456. So you have to deal with the exact same issue over again.

So I'm beginning to look at Microsoft Updates as the equivalent of Malware. I'm beginning to think that those updates are more harmful to your computer than the threats that they're supposed to protect your computer system against.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
How secure are Microsoft Updates really? - by deanhills - 11-25-2020, 11:40 PM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting