arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubedata's SolidCP review and discussion (VPS 15)
(01-09-2021, 04:23 PM)fitkoh Wrote: The backend is a bit slower than I'm used to. Keep in mind that I'm a Linux user for 20+ years, and the slowness that I'm perceiving could be due to the simple fact that Windows is a heavier software than what I'm used to. The backend could actually be incredibly fast for a windows server, I just don't have any experience to compare. What do I mean by slow? VPS functions like reboot and reinstall seem to take quite a bit longer than they do in SolusVM, for example.
Welcome to the baroque World of Windows NT kernel!.. Where have you been hiding?.. :-)

(01-09-2021, 04:23 PM)fitkoh Wrote: (..) I tried to create a Proxmox addon but was unable to get it working. I'm assuming this is because of the way Cubedata has it configured - I don't think Proxmox is loaded at the host level and nested virt seems disabled - but still very neat that SolidCP can manage different virtualizations (Windows HyperV & Proxmox)
Nested virtualization is a must for Promox..

(01-09-2021, 04:23 PM)fitkoh Wrote: Since I'm a linux user, one of the first things I tried was a CentOS install. Cubedata has Centos 7 & 8 loaded in the DVD drive. Over the console I was able to complete a full install. The process was very much like installing from DVD on a local pc, with the ability to partition the drive, etc. I tried to install both 7 & 8. It should be noted that I had networking problems with Centos 8 when I attempted to configure networking with DHCP. When I installed 7 I manually set networking  using the settings provided in SolidCP and had no issues.
What kind of errors were generated for the CentOS 8 networking setup?. and did you try to set it manually for CentOS 8 too ?

(01-09-2021, 04:23 PM)fitkoh Wrote: The virtualized performance of Centos on top of windows server wasn't the greatest. I'll share the benchmarks of virtualized Centos when/if  I'm able to get benchmarks of the windows server for comparison.
I've always said that VPS-15 was an enigma till I was sent these specs:
System Info
-----------
Processor       : Intel® Xeon® CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
CPU Cores       : 1
Frequency       : 2266.746 MHz

At that point, it appeared to me that VPS-15 will constantly suffer CPU-wise whatever you're running on top of it.... especially if it's a Windows system.

A headless Linux system will still run okay though!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cubedata's SolidCP review and discussion (VPS 15) - by fChk - 01-10-2021, 10:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
01-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting