arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FileZilla Puzzle!
I'd have liked to make a screenshot of what happened, but then it would have shown all of my files.  Hopefully I can describe this issue as best as I can.

I seem to have two Status Panels in my FileZilla Dashboard - one at the top and the other at the bottom.  The top Status Panel describes the downloads as they are being completed, and the bottom one shows percentages of progress while the files are being uploaded or downloaded - like an action panel.

Today I found that the percentages of progress in the bottom panel is completely out of sync with the top panel - while the status bar on top was continuing to provide a report of the downloads while they were ongoing, nothing was happening in the bottom panel - I actually got a little worried when there were no percentages rolling over in the bottom panel thinking there may be a problem.  

Finally after the last report in the top panel (below) the bottom panel started to roll the percentages which of course is even more perplexing, since the top panel said the transfer had been successful - what is now happening in the bottom panel?

Quote:Status: Starting download of /backup/2018-12-09/system/dirs/xxxxx.tar.gz
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 7,948 bytes in 1 second
Status: Starting download of /backup/2018-12-09/system/dirs/xxxx.tar.gz
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 197,480 bytes in 1 second
Status: Starting download of /backup/2018-12-09/system/dirs/xxxxx.tar.gz
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 1,968 bytes in 1 second

I'm now worried to close Filezilla maybe it could create an error of sorts?  Or can I go ahead and close it any way?  At the time of writing, this is what is happening in the bottom panel - according to the bottom panel download was still not completed (although in top status and according to my downloaded files it has been completed):

[Image: sKxv4H2.png]
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
you get messages in the upper panel after it finishes..successfully or not. so may be you will get another message when the current transfer showing in the bottom panel gets completed ?

that does not seem very plausible though. cause of that disconnected message. how is you internet connection like atm ? stable ? may be try a fresh filezilla install or a portable one ?

i always use WinSCP and find it quite good. may be give a try ?
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
This is the thing. There wasn't a final message in the bottom panel - the percentage count down just stopped and disappeared. But took a VERY long time. You're right. I'm on ADSL and downloads are very slow. I noticed that earlier in the day with another download. Perhaps that was the problem. Software got confused when the download was slow. Like in the old days maybe it would have gone into error mode, but FileZilla has been programed not to go down when the download speed is very slow and so maybe the bottom panel percentage count down was slow to kick in.

Anyway, I waited everything out, and once it stopped, I completely disconnected and exited. I rarely use FileZilla, but should give WinSCP a chance.
Terminal
After using FileZilla for very long time I moved to another FTP client called Bitvise SSH Client. It can do all from SSH to FTP, SFTP etc. Anyway does your ADSL connection is unlimited one ? Because mine has a cap at 90GB and only about 35GB peak time download. So I download my big files like backups to VPS and the upload to Dropbox for safe keeping. Smile

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(12-13-2018, 02:45 AM)xdude Wrote: After using FileZilla for very long time I moved to another FTP client called Bitvise SSH Client. It can do all from SSH to FTP, SFTP etc. Anyway does your ADSL connection is unlimited one ? Because mine has a cap at 90GB and only about 35GB peak time download. So I download my big files like backups to VPS and the upload to Dropbox for safe keeping.  Smile

I'm totally old fashioned and conservative, still believing that physical hard disks - my computer or external disks - is the safest. VPSs can easily go south. So I feel more secure when I've downloaded backups to my computer - and then a copy of the computer to an external hard disk. I do use mega.nz for sharing and did use drop box at one stage. Like the free version of both. I'm very sceptical of cloud storage as well.

My ADSL is unlimited.  Size of the download was 16 GB. I'm a bit lazy and since FileZilla SFTP works well for me in general I'm a creature of habit and would prefer to sort out its shortcomings. I just picked up in its discussion forum other people have similar problems with that bottom panel with the percentages rolling. Like it goes on forever. Must say however it's never stopped on me before and gone for delayed action. I should be happy however as files have been successfully downloaded. I've also downloaded backups through cpanel - so I have backups of backups in this case. If anything should have been corrupted with FileZilla I have other backups to rely upon.

At any rate, have updated FileZilla as I've been ignoring Filezilla pop ups for updating for the last couple of weeks. Let's see whether this will make a difference as well.
Terminal
why is your backup so big is the next question that comes to mind. you could keep track of your media files and backup locally before upload. so then you only have to worry about the code portion of your project.

another way to go would be to use an incremental backup solution. rsync may be.

i guess I'm digressing from the main topic of discussion in this thread. let me reiterate.

hope updating solved it for you. else use either of the other two softwares mentioned above. they are both good.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
i use filezilla mostly and sometime encounter problem if the ftp server is misconfigured like one time i register one of free cpanel host that use usa.cc domain instead of real domain i forget the name but you probably know what it is . i connect to the ftp with filezilla and it is extremely unstable . also i used to install proftpd on my server to replace vsftpd for some reason and what i get is i never can connect . also with free sh*t panel hosting that start with b that use the worst windows version panel i get unstable connection also with file zilla

but by switching to winSCP i can get somewhat much stable FTP connection on misconfigured or barely work FTP server . the unfortunate is that no linux version and i only use WinSCP when filezilla doesnt work and i use windows which is something i didnt use right now . my pc likes linux more it almost never crashed and hit the T junction and then die . with windows my pc throttle badly and then just die when i run some heavy app . with linux it throttle but it have the kidle inject that make my pc never hit the T junction and die
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
(12-13-2018, 11:35 AM)rudra Wrote: why is your backup so big is the next question that comes to mind. you could keep track of your media files and backup locally before upload. so then you only have to worry about the code portion of your project.

another way to go would be to use an incremental backup solution. rsync may be.

i guess I'm digressing from the main topic of discussion in this thread. let me reiterate.

hope updating solved it for you. else use either of the other two softwares mentioned above. they are both good.
The 16GB backup is a once in a million years thing. I'm more worried about the workings of FileZilla. Hopefully the occurrence of the bottom panel was also a one in a million years thing. Tongue

But yes, there are many other ways one could have made the download too.
Terminal
Stop using FileZilla, the owner bundle's malware alongside with it and ignores when people complains. https://forum.filezilla-project.org/view...hp?t=48441
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
For this kind of backup I would usually just use megatools to do downloads/uploads to the cloud.

It is much faster than saving large files to local computer.

And no need to play with FileZilla or any FTP client.

Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting