arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use DDR3 in DDR3L slot
Hi guys,
I have a NAS device, a QNAP TS-251+ to be exact, this NAS supports Virtualization, which is a feature I really like to use. The bottleneck though: it's only got 2GB of DDR3L pre-installed. I still have a 4GB stick of DDR3-SODIMM laying around, so it would practically fit in the slot. The big question is: will it work? Will it fry my NAS? Obviously I don't want to break my couple of hundred euro's device by a stick of RAM which would only cost me several tens. However, if it would be possible to get 4GB in the device for free, would be better, isn't it?
(10-15-2016, 11:13 AM)RickB Wrote:  The big question is: will it work? Will it fry my NAS? Obviously I don't want to break my couple of hundred euro's device by a stick of RAM which would only cost me several tens. However, if it would be possible to get 4GB in the device for free, would be better, isn't it?

You can't fry or break it with a non-compatible RAM. Try it. If it doesn't compatible then it won't boot. That's all.
You could check the device manufacturer's website for detailed pdf specification. That could help.
(10-16-2016, 09:25 AM)Dudi Wrote: You can't fry or break it with a non-compatible RAM. Try it. If it doesn't compatible then it won't boot. That's all.
You could check the device manufacturer's website for detailed pdf specification. That could help.

So, without any fear I can put the RAM in and test whether it functions, that's what you say? Then I'll test it as soon as my NAS can be shut down. :-)

Thanks!
You might be able to get away with that, but you'll risk the system getting hotter due to the voltage differences, overall try it and test/see if the machine gets too hot for you liking. If that stick you have is the same voltage as DDR3L (some differ), you should have little to no worry about doing anything to the system. It is just the voltage differences
(10-16-2016, 07:18 PM)Mr.Monkey Wrote: You might be able to get away with that, but you'll risk the system getting hotter due to the voltage differences, overall try it and test/see if the machine gets too hot for you liking. If that stick you have is the same voltage as DDR3L (some differ), you should have little to no worry about doing anything to the system. It is just the voltage differences

I would not recommend people switching slots of machines for trial. People get paid to carry out these tests and by doing these on your own, you are just risking your own machines.
Thank you VPSlices and Post4VPS for your beautiful VPS!
(11-01-2016, 01:41 PM)Golden Wrote: I would not recommend people switching slots of machines for trial. People get paid to carry out these tests and by doing these on your own, you are just risking your own machines.

My notebook came with a normal DDR3 RAM. But I bought two pieces of DDR3L RAMs from second hands. And it works great. Since 2013. They are compatible back and forth.

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting