arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2GB GDDR3 or 1GB GDDR5
Hi experts,
                As the tittles says i want to know which GPU is better, a 2GB of GDDR3 or 1 GB GDDR5. I want to purchase a GPU for my younger brother. He play games. I already have a 1GB GDDR3 AMD graphic card. Which is causing rendering problem in PUBG Mobile. an old friend told me to buy GDDR5 1GB instead of 2GB GDDR3. I am confused now.  Confused   Prices are almost same. Which is best and why?

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
Graphic cards with GDDR3 don't exist anymore since that would be really old ones and for nowadays standards also some really slow ones. GDDR3 is based on technology used in DDR2 RAM which is slower than DDR3. GDDR3 has no relation to the DDR3 RAM standard though. It is important not to mixup graphics RAM and normal RAM! The topic title and its content are in contradiction and will cause confusion!

Title:
2GB GDDR3 or 1GB GDDR5

Content:
Quote:[..] As the tittles says i want to know which GPU is better, a 2GB of DDR3 or 1 GB DDR5. I want to purchase a GPU for my younger brother. He play games. I already have a 1GB DDR3 AMD graphic card. Which is causing rendering problem in PUBG Mobile. an old friend told me to buy DDR5 1GB instead of 2GB DDR3. [...]

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3_SDRAM
- https://en.bmstu.wiki/GDDR3_(Graphics_Do...ta_Rate_3)

Compared to GDDR5 the GDDR3 standard is much slower. So usually all GDDR3 powered GPUs are actually a lot slower compared to their GDDR5 counterpart in terms of everything related to graphic RAM operations.

While GDDR3 is not used anymore there are actually cheap graphic cards that use non graphic RAM like normal DDR3 RAM. I guess you mean those? Otherwise please clearly tell us and maybe provide links to the actual graphic cards you are looking at.

Here again DDR3 is slower than GDDR5. GDDR RAM is specifically made for graphic cards (if you read the info from the links above). It offers advantages needed for graphics processing such as a much lower latency AND the most important a much higher bandwidth. A few other are lower voltage and better thermals due to lower voltage.

How much faster is GDDR5 than DDR3?

GTX 950M 4 GB DDR3 = 32 GB/s bandwidth
[Image: gpuz2.PNG]

GTX 950M 2 GB GDDR5 = 80 GB/s bandwidth
A 950M is a slower 960M. The difference are the RAM clocks and other clocks but both have same RAM so same bandwidth.
[Image: gpuz_960m.jpg]

Reference (German): https://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-NVIDI...343.0.html

GT 555M:
[Image: main-qimg-648d8e540073ed45f2a5049f17e020e1]

Reference: https://www.quora.com/What-s-better-in-g...-GDDR5-GPU

Generally avoid graphic cards with DDR3 RAM. Always go for GDDR5.

If you actually need from RAM on the GPU you simply need to invest more money. Don't go for the DDR3 version. You will sadly feel the performance difference and you will regret it.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Thanks Hidden for information. It is much appreciated. Actually i was talking about Graphic Card RAM. Just missed the "G". That's what caused the confusion. I have edited my post. In Pakistan mostly we find GDDR3 cards. I don't know why, But we mostly get outdated hardware in Pakistan in most cities.

Here is my system information

Dell Precision T1650
Core i5 3rd Generation 3.6 GHz Processor
4 GB DDR3 Ram

After reading the information you gave me, i found this in my budget NVIDIA Quadro 2000. 

Deary me! GDDR3 - honestly? That's just... wow!

Sadly Nvidia Quadro graphic cards aren't made for gaming. They're meant for video processing, CAD and other more business like applications. I would advise against picking up that Quadro 2000. It is also very old (2010). Try to find something newer. There must be something newer and cheaper. There are many more modern one slot GPUs without the need for additional power (they get their power via the PCIe slot which can offer max 75W). Maybe really save up a bit more and look for something better.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
By the way 1GB ! Isn't this very low.....
try some high end but still budget graphic cards..... search for them on google....

As mentioned by @"hidden refuge" its not made for gaming.....
Gaming requires atleast 2 Gigs(4gb is the trending one nowadays) of that graphic card memory.....

trying saving some money to purchase a nice and good graphic card on which future games can run too!
Terminal
Thankyou Post4VPS, @Pacific Spirit (Hostlease) for a Free VPS!
+
Thankyou to @Neoon for a Free NanoKVM VPS
Once again Thanks both of you for the suggestion and information. It means i need to wait some more to purchase a good one. I have some more questions. Nvidia or AMD? If i purchase a newest technology GDDR5 will it work properly with my Dell system ( information is in 3rd post ). I am going to upgrade its RAM from 4GB to 8GB. When i will purchase a GPU i will buy a 4GB RAM too. Hope it will be enough for gaming.

lockThread Closed 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting