arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Minimalist Free Web Hosting Success Story!
This discussion is a tribute to @fitkoh who was successful in installing an above average quality minimalist free hosting service to members of gigarocket.net.  Gigarocket.net stopped providing hosting to its members in December of last year.  So fitkoh came up with his own minimalist solution.  For me it was brilliant in its simplicity.  During the development of his project I had plenty of correspondence from him that I feel needs to be documented here.  Just in case someone else wants to try something similar.  He was basically using three small VPSs from RackNerd (he won these in a competition) with a free dot.design domain.  

Fitkoh invited me during December to be a "guinea pig" and I'm so glad I participated as presently my CyberPanel User Account with him is the fastest and most efficient hosting account I have.  Now that I've created my own CyberPanel installation I understand how expert an Admin Fitkoh must be as every detail in his setup is excellent.  To get all three of the micro VPSs to talk expertly to one another and to increase instead of decrease speed and performance is an art bar none.  Cool

fitkoh Wrote:My goal when I began this project was to create a shared hosting alternative to gigarocket that was comparable in quality, without the significant cost/overhead. To me, the best thing about it is it's 100% free. The domain was from a free porkbun promo. The vps from racknerd giveaway. The software is FOSS. And yet, in spite of the zero cost associated with it, it's remarkably high quality, simple, easy to use. Perfect? Not by a long shot. Will it ever be able to grow to the size of gigarocket? Doubtful. Yet it's doing exactly what I planned for it to do: high quality free shared hosting.

fitkoh Wrote:These aren't high spec vps with multi-core dedicated cpu and tons of disk space, so I was trying to figure out a way to increase the scope of the shared hosting potential without exceeding the boundaries. Seeing that cyberpanel does remote database, I thought that if I split the services, I could potentially double the scope... and WOW I was stunned. The speed that wordpress moved on the backend was really something. Like when loading plugins/themes they just pop right up. I thought that using a remote database was going to make the service slower, due to the latency between the web server and db server. I was very happy to be wrong on this occasion. That was when I looked and saw that both of the vps are on the same node. The ping time between the db and web server is ~.3ms, or .0003 seconds. That's why it's so fast. Usually wordpress hits a bottleneck when loading from the database, but with the db having its own cpu, and not responsible for doing anything else (unless I happen to be logged into webmin), it can really look up and serve those records incredibly fast - faster than the web server can with everything else it's trying to do.

Fitkoh Wrote:The only real ceiling is the size of the server. These are micro vps instances. They're built on solid hardware (Ryzen 9 cpu, NVME disk, ECC DDR4 RAM) but still small. Each vps has only 15gb of disk which is the main limitation to what you can do with it.

The database is tricky. Because it's a remote database, cyberpanel doesn't manage it or warn me when disk is approaching package limits like it will for user files, so it will take careful monitoring to maintain its health.

The service is distributed between 3 vps.

s0 runs OpenLightSpeed WebServer + cyberpanel
s1 runs mariaDB + webmin
s2 (still in development) has OLSWS + cyberpanel with local db, and to be used to run the landing site for the service.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Excellent to hear the success story of fitkoh. Hope he get a number of customers as well, when I read about the remote database connection, I was wondering how he keeps the speed of database connection through remote. Since his VPSs are in the same node he is lucky. I earlier used remote sql connections, since the difference between the server locations backfired the web server speed.
Kudos to fitkoh and his project.

Thank you  Sweet

I think this is related to a discussion we had in this thread:
cyberpanel + webmin = fastest web server ever, for members wanting more background on the project.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(05-09-2021, 11:58 PM)Littlemaster Wrote: Excellent to hear the success story of fitkoh. Hope he get a number of customers as well, when I read about the remote database connection, I was wondering how he keeps the speed of database connection through remote. Since his VPSs are in the same node he is lucky. I earlier used remote sql connections, since the difference between the server locations backfired the web server speed.
Kudos to fitkoh and his project.

Yeah.And hope binil(at gigarocket)'s hosting works well too(https://freecloudhost.org/).For those who have earned a VPS they can choose their favorate panel and use them for hosting.However for those who don't have one it is very glad to see members providing free hosting with great quality.

For the separated architcure,glad to know in the same node so no speed issues,and yes,more capitablity and maybe stability.Just notice no longer "localhost" in script installations.Smile
VPS 3 Provided by Post4vps and Racknerd .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Last Post: deanhills
12-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Neco
09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Golden

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting