arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BladeNode  VPS 14 Review (Post Chicago Migration)
======================================
Short introduction

Here we go again, reviewing the VPS 14 sponsored by BladeNode (@phoenixwolf). Why a second review? Well, VPS 14 has changed it's node, you can read the official announcement here. There isn't much to talk about, I am doing the same usage as ever. I just switched my OS from a debian-based (Debian 10 Buster) to a rhel-based (Fedora 33).

Review

=========================
Let's start again with the Specifications
Disk Space: 200 GB SSD
RAM: 8 GB + (6GB of Swap)
vCores: [i]4 cores (3.60GHz)[/i]
IP Addresses: 1x IPv4
Virtualization: KVM
Monthly Traffic: 1 TB
Control Panel: No CP for the Holder
Connection: 1Gbps

Do you like benchmark? I do
To give the possibility to compare the VPS based on the node I used the same benchmark script that I used for the first review:"Yet-Another-Bench-Script" available on github.
===============
System Info
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz
CPU cores  : 4 @ 3599.998 MHz
AES-NI     : Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : Disabled
RAM        : 7.8 GiB
Swap       : 5.9 GiB
Disk       : 197.9 GiB
OS         : Fedora Server 33
===============
Network speed (IPv4 only)
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 895 Mbits/sec   | 385 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | (not available) | [size=small][font=Monaco, Consolas, Courier, monospace](not available)[/font][/size]
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 876 Mbits/sec   | 56.4 Mbits/sec
Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 687 Mbits/sec   | 114 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 37.9 Mbits/sec  | 933 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 930 Mbits/sec   | 825 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 924 Mbits/sec   | 40.0 Mbits/sec
Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 859 Mbits/sec   | 318 Mbits/sec
===============
Disk Speed (I/O operations)
fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 266.49 MB/s  (66.6k) | 2.33 GB/s    (36.5k)
Write      | 267.19 MB/s  (66.7k) | 2.35 GB/s    (36.7k)
Total      | 533.69 MB/s (133.4k) | 4.69 GB/s    (73.3k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 3.62 GB/s     (7.0k) | 3.63 GB/s     (3.5k)
Write      | 3.82 GB/s     (7.4k) | 3.87 GB/s     (3.7k)
Total      | 7.44 GB/s    (14.5k) | 7.50 GB/s     (7.3k)
===============
GeekBenchmark
Test            | Value
               |
Single Core     | 1026
Multi Core      | 3229
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7102117
My experience
The migration added a lot of new stuff speaking of performance:
  • A slightly powerful CPU, on real world tasks the change is unnoticeable to be fair but the CPU physically changed so I must report it!
  • 5GB more of SWAP, the VPS jumped from 1GB to 6GB of swap memory ssd-based... with the already equipped 8GB of ram and you get powerful combination of 14GB!
  • Storage technology changed from HDD to SSD, it should do a huge improvements but as you can see from the I/O operations the speed is likely the same, previous location was running  a RAID configuration to get the best performance out of standard HDD. I think that running heavy process that works with file the SSD will do the difference.
  • The networks speeds according to me are the same, on the benchmark there are some slow connection but I think it is related to that specific moment, maybe it was busy? The VPS is still amazing fast with its 1GBit connection.
I also changed my environment by switching from Debian 10 Buster to Fedora 33. I have always liked RHEL-based distros, on VPS 9 I used for a lot of time CentOS. This time, unfortunately, I had to switch to Fedora 33 because CentOS Stream is just a joke--- we are all waiting for Rocky Linux Tongue

I am doing very well with Fedora, some feature pre-installed are a bit a blotware but they are easily removable, such as cockpit... I have never used it because I am a CLI guy and I don't give any trust to "static" control panel that just run blindly commands.

Another change I have made is switching from nginx to caddy2, an amazing web server that auto-manage the SSL certificate with a very easy to understand configuration.

Regarding my usage... it is still unchanged, you can read it on my first review.
Conclusion
Before the migrations, VPS 14 was an amazing VPS. After the migration and the my issue ticket I can clearly say that my experience with @phoenixwolf's BladeNode is superior to my previous sponsor Virmach. They are both amazing company that offer a super service but with Bladenode I received a better "care". I remember the old days when I got a DDoS attack and virmarch's ticket response was a bit vague or slow. Nothing like this happen with bladenode Smile

I still think very high about Virmach... they took from me a very huge DDoS load and they didn't complain, their network just kept up my VPS. I hope that I will never give the same experience to Bladenode, I am working very hard with Cloudflare firewall and protection on it!

Like always, I want to end this review thanking:
  • @Dynamo, as always, for creating Post4VPS community that allowed me to use this VPS;
  • @deanhills, this time I opened a support ticket and he replied very fast!;
  • @Mashiro for his tutorials, I used some of them to set-up my environment;
  • Bladenode (@phoenixwolf) for sponsoring this amazing VPS and his amazing support, he "closed" my issue ticket in less that 1 day doing also some "extra" work is not pre-configured;
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
An excellent review. Many thanks @LightDestory.  I really enjoyed the detailed discussion.  How user-friendly was Fedora for first time use with the VPS?  Is it an OS you would recommend to other VPS Holders?  Do you think you'll be using it for a very long time, or only until Rocky Linux comes along?

I noted with great interest the change from nginx to caddy2.  I've been using nginx in the past because of how light it is.  Is Caddy2 similar in functionality and why would you choose the one over the other?

I echo your appreciation to Phoenix for his awesome support and interest in our community.  All of the positive energy surrounding the VPS is motivating to every one associated with it.  And I agree, for now Bladenode VPS 14 is our star VPS - it has eclipsed VPS 9.  Not because VPS 9 is not good, but just because of VPS 14 going from awesome to more awesome. And VPS 9 being still great and a hardy survivor for a few years now.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Thank you for the wonderful review. I try only to offer the type of services I want to see if I was a client. Regardless if someone is paying or not. Enjoy the services!
Vladimir S.
BladeNode.com | Shared Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting

(03-24-2021, 07:45 PM)LightDestory Wrote:
Short introduction

Here we go again, reviewing the VPS 14 sponsored by BladeNode (@phoenixwolf). Why a second review? Well, VPS 14 has changed it's node, you can read the official announcement here. There isn't much to talk about, I am doing the same usage as ever. I just switched my OS from a debian-based (Debian 10 Buster) to a rhel-based (Fedora 33).

Review

Let's start again with the Specifications
Disk Space: 200 GB SSD
RAM: 8 GB + (6GB of Swap)
vCores: [i]4 cores (3.60GHz)[/i]
IP Addresses: 1x IPv4
Virtualization: KVM
Monthly Traffic: 1 TB
Control Panel: No CP for the Holder
Connection: 1Gbps

Do you like benchmark? I do
To give the possibility to compare the VPS based on the node I used the same benchmark script that I used for the first review:"Yet-Another-Bench-Script" available on github.
===============
System Info
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz
CPU cores  : 4 @ 3599.998 MHz
AES-NI     : Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : Disabled
RAM        : 7.8 GiB
Swap       : 5.9 GiB
Disk       : 197.9 GiB
OS         : Fedora Server 33
===============
Network speed (IPv4 only)
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                |                           |                 |
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 895 Mbits/sec   | 385 Mbits/sec
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | (not available) | [size=small][font=Monaco, Consolas, Courier, monospace](not available)[/font][/size]
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 876 Mbits/sec   | 56.4 Mbits/sec
Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 687 Mbits/sec   | 114 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 37.9 Mbits/sec  | 933 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 930 Mbits/sec   | 825 Mbits/sec
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 924 Mbits/sec   | 40.0 Mbits/sec
Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 859 Mbits/sec   | 318 Mbits/sec
===============
Disk Speed (I/O operations)
fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
Read       | 266.49 MB/s  (66.6k) | 2.33 GB/s    (36.5k)
Write      | 267.19 MB/s  (66.7k) | 2.35 GB/s    (36.7k)
Total      | 533.69 MB/s (133.4k) | 4.69 GB/s    (73.3k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
Read       | 3.62 GB/s     (7.0k) | 3.63 GB/s     (3.5k)
Write      | 3.82 GB/s     (7.4k) | 3.87 GB/s     (3.7k)
Total      | 7.44 GB/s    (14.5k) | 7.50 GB/s     (7.3k)
===============
GeekBenchmark
Test            | Value
               |
Single Core     | 1026
Multi Core      | 3229
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/7102117
My experience
The migration added a lot of new stuff speaking of performance:
  • A slightly powerful CPU, on real world tasks the change is unnoticeable to be fair but the CPU physically changed so I must report it!
  • 5GB more of SWAP, the VPS jumped from 1GB to 6GB of swap memory ssd-based... with the already equipped 8GB of ram and you get powerful combination of 14GB!
  • Storage technology changed from HDD to SSD, it should do a huge improvements but as you can see from the I/O operations the speed is likely the same, previous location was running  a RAID configuration to get the best performance out of standard HDD. I think that running heavy process that works with file the SSD will do the difference.
  • The networks speeds according to me are the same, on the benchmark there are some slow connection but I think it is related to that specific moment, maybe it was busy? The VPS is still amazing fast with its 1GBit connection.
I also changed my environment by switching from Debian 10 Buster to Fedora 33. I have always liked RHEL-based distros, on VPS 9 I used for a lot of time CentOS. This time, unfortunately, I had to switch to Fedora 33 because CentOS Stream is just a joke--- we are all waiting for Rocky Linux Tongue

I am doing very well with Fedora, some feature pre-installed are a bit a blotware but they are easily removable, such as cockpit... I have never used it because I am a CLI guy and I don't give any trust to "static" control panel that just run blindly commands.

Another change I have made is switching from nginx to caddy2, an amazing web server that auto-manage the SSL certificate with a very easy to understand configuration.

Regarding my usage... it is still unchanged, you can read it on my first review.
Conclusion
Before the migrations, VPS 14 was an amazing VPS. After the migration and the my issue ticket I can clearly say that my experience with @phoenixwolf's BladeNode is superior to my previous sponsor Virmach. They are both amazing company that offer a super service but with Bladenode I received a better "care". I remember the old days when I got a DDoS attack and virmarch's ticket response was a bit vague or slow. Nothing like this happen with bladenode Smile

I still think very high about Virmach... they took from me a very huge DDoS load and they didn't complain, their network just kept up my VPS. I hope that I will never give the same experience to Bladenode, I am working very hard with Cloudflare firewall and protection on it!

Like always, I want to end this review thanking:
  • @Dynamo, as always, for creating Post4VPS community that allowed me to use this VPS;
  • @deanhills, this time I opened a support ticket and he replied very fast!;
  • @Mashiro for his tutorials, I used some of them to set-up my environment;
  • Bladenode (@phoenixwolf) for sponsoring this amazing VPS and his amazing support, he "closed" my issue ticket in less that 1 day doing also some "extra" work is not pre-configured;
I want to make the VPS Review for the same few questions from you. how to test  CPU and how you test the Internet server speed. please reply . Thank you
Thanks Post4VPS
As a holder of the Chicago VPS from Virmach, I just cannot stop myself from reading your review carefully and try to compare my VPS with yours.

It is quite obvious your VPS 14 from BladeNode is better than mine from Virmach. A higher CPU frequency with 4 vCores, and also larger disk space etc.

Still, I would enjoy sticking with my current VPS 9 as it is powerful enough for me and I am already satisfied with it. Smile

I'm interested in the disk I/O performance of the Post4VPS VPSs with NVMe SSD-backed storage (ie VPS-7, VPS-13, VPS-14.)

Thus can you please run the following commands on your VPS and share the output with us:
# Your block device details
lsblk --output "NAME,KNAME,MODEL,HCTL,SIZE,VENDOR,SUBSYSTEMS"

# Investigating the used kernel drivers (virtio vs nvme)
lsmod | grep virt
lsmod | grep nvm
lshw -class storage
lshw -class disk

# Buffered Sequential Write Speed, using @sohamb03's script with the -io flag
./bench.sh -io

# Disk seq.read Speed (Cached)
hdparm -Tt /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk seq.read Speed (Direct)
hdparm -Tt --direct /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Latency:
ioping -c 15 /home/mysudoer
ioping -c 15 /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Seek Rate:
ioping -R /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Sequential Speed:
ioping -RL /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

Thanks!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(04-27-2021, 05:04 AM)fChk Wrote: I'm interested in the disk I/O performance of the Post4VPS VPSs with NVMe SSD-backed storage (ie VPS-7, VPS-13, VPS-14.)

Thus can you please run the following commands on your VPS and share the output with us:
# Your block device details
lsblk --output "NAME,KNAME,MODEL,HCTL,SIZE,VENDOR,SUBSYSTEMS"

# Investigating the used kernel drivers (virtio vs nvme)
lsmod | grep virt
lsmod | grep nvm
lshw -class storage
lshw -class disk

# Buffered Sequential Write Speed, using @sohamb03's script with the -io flag
./bench.sh -io

# Disk seq.read Speed (Cached)
hdparm -Tt /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk seq.read Speed (Direct)
hdparm -Tt --direct /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Latency:
ioping -c 15 /home/mysudoer
ioping -c 15 /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Seek Rate:
ioping -R /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

# Disk Sequential Speed:
ioping -RL /dev/vda (or /dev/sda)

Thanks!

I am sorry, due to the notice of withdraw of VPS 14 I have already proceeded to shutdown the machine. 

@deanhills I think we can close this thread as the discussion can't continue anymore Smile
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
Very unfortunate to have lost the VPS 14 sponsored by BladeNode, but still I'd like to say that this was indeed a good review from you. It was a really powerful VPS with awesome specs one would love to have.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: fChk
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Evolution Host  VPS 10 Review
05-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Decent12
 Host4Fun  VPS 1 Review
05-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Last Post: fChk
04-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: sAmI

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting