arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BladeNode  server_name/wp-admin/
@phoenixwolf

I've got a strange thing happening that is a first in my WordPress experience.

Every now and then when I'm in the WP Dashboard Chrome gets an issue with the BladeNode sub-domain I'm using (the sub-domain you gave me: http://directadminlessons.6srv.net/wp-admin)  

It  resolves to:

https://server_name/wp-admin/

Like so:

[Image: 8J2wLbA.png]

Once it's there I can't get out of it.  It happens only when I am in wp-admin. Only way I can get back in is to get rid of all cookies and then start over again.

Like logically I would think the issue must be the database.  With localhost? Or is it a Chrome issue vs how BladeNode has set up something?  I don't have the issue with Firefox (yet).  Although I'm using chrome as the main browser.  So can't say for sure.  But if I get rid of Chrome cookies then it gets fixed again.  Until the next time.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(01-03-2021, 09:25 PM)deanhills Wrote: @phoenixwolf

I've got a strange thing happening that is a first in my WordPress experience.

Every now and then when I'm in the WP Dashboard Chrome gets an issue with the BladeNode sub-domain I'm using (the sub-domain you gave me: http://directadminlessons.6srv.net/wp-admin)  

It  resolves to:

https://server_name/wp-admin/

Like so:

[Image: 8J2wLbA.png]

Once it's there I can't get out of it.  It happens only when I am in wp-admin.  Only way I can get back in is to get rid of all cookies and then start over again.

Like logically I would think the issue must be the database.  With localhost? Or is it a Chrome issue vs how BladeNode has set up something?  I don't have the issue with Firefox (yet).  Although I'm using chrome as the main browser.  So can't say for sure.  But if I get rid of Chrome cookies then it gets fixed again.  Until the next time.

This usually happens when there is no SSL installed. I installed the SSl for you. Could you please try again?
Vladimir S.
BladeNode.com | Shared Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting

That was exactly the problem. I was going to install SSL later for the test, but thanks so much for installing it for me. It solved the problem.
Terminal
(01-04-2021, 01:24 AM)deanhills Wrote: That was exactly the problem.  I was going to install SSL later for the test, but thanks so much for installing it for me.  It solved the problem.

@deanhills, I am glad @phoenixwolf was able to get this fixed for you! I was about to recommend the same solution. I had this happen with my VPS with @cubedata and it quickly mended after I got that taken care of. I believe also this is a known issues with Wordpress 5.6 also and will be addressed with 5.7.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
(01-04-2021, 02:20 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: @deanhills, I am glad @phoenixwolf was able to get this fixed for you! I was about to recommend the same solution. I had this happen with my VPS with @cubedata and it quickly mended after I got that taken care of. I believe also this is a known issues with Wordpress 5.6 also and will be addressed with 5.7.

Thanks @tbelldesignco for the feedback.  So blame is squarely with WordPress script.  I'm glad it will be fixed in the next version.  I'd imagine since so many cpanel users will be shifting to DirectAdmin that it would be important for WordPress to sort that out.

What would be interesting though for me since I installed WP manually, is whether the same issue would have arisen if I had used the Softaculous Installer in the Panel instead of installing WP manually?

I think I need to add a new domain to my DirectAdmin Panel and check how to do SSL, so maybe a next review will cover that.  Also check out the Softaculous Installer.  I mostly avoid the Softaculous Installer as in my experience with VPS and Softaculous on a VPS is that when the VPS life comes to an end or if one needs to change, the installation goes down with the VPS and the Websites go down.  So VPS wise I've opted for installing WP from the command line only.  And then to use the All in One WP Migration Plugin for making it as portable as I can by importing and exporting my backups regularly.

Just to add here, with CyberPanel it has a WordPress Installer that is brilliant. It only asks you to complete five bare essential questions and then creates the installation instantly, including the databases. It's completely minimalist. For me it has been the best and fastest WP installer experience so far.
Terminal
(01-05-2021, 06:49 AM)deanhills Wrote: Thanks @tbelldesignco for the feedback.  So blame is squarely with WordPress script.  I'm glad it will be fixed in the next version.  I'd imagine since so many cpanel users will be shifting to DirectAdmin that it would be important for WordPress to sort that out.

What would be interesting though for me since I installed WP manually, is whether the same issue would have arisen if I had used the Softaculous Installer in the Panel instead of installing WP manually?

I think I need to add a new domain to my DirectAdmin Panel and check how to do SSL, so maybe a next review will cover that.  Also check out the Softaculous Installer.  I mostly avoid the Softaculous Installer as in my experience with VPS and Softaculous on a VPS is that when the VPS life comes to an end or if one needs to change, the installation goes down with the VPS and the Websites go down.  So VPS wise I've opted for installing WP from the command line only.  And then to use the All in One WP Migration Plugin for making it as portable as I can by importing and exporting my backups regularly.

Just to add here, with CyberPanel it has a WordPress Installer that is brilliant.  It only asks you to complete five bare essential questions and then creates the installation instantly, including the databases.  It's completely minimalist.  For me it has been the best and fastest WP installer experience so far.

Yes I very much agree with your statements on Softaculous. Even with cPanel I never installed wordpress that way, because I never found it reliable and sometimes the updates that it pulls will become corrupt. I have always installed it from the built in installer and had zero issues, but I do understand the need for simplicity. It's always so much easier when you can quickly fill in essential fields and an installer does the rest.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Sorry for being late to the party, the issue(technically already solved) itself is not related to SSL or anything it's just recent wordpress releases stopped using the WP_SITEURL function from the wp_config file if you check correctly there won't be any string defining the WP_SITEURL so what wordpress does is basically fetch the URL from the domain config file in that case would be either HTTP_HOST or SERVER_NAME as defined in the config setting up a SSL define the SERVER_NAME to your URL/domain fetched with the certbot configs fixing the issue. While the problem is fixed the real pain beigns when migrating the wordpress to another host or domain the cached values interfere and your website ends up with lots of redirections i encountered it like two years ago when i finished setting up a wordpress based website locally and migrated it to predefined server space it ended with redirection error so what i did was just adding a new line in wp_config as
define( 'WP_HOME', 'http://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] .' );
it made the job easier for future migrations you can find more about this in the wordpress support article covering the wp_config here https://wordpress.org/support/article/ed...wp_siteurl
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
Aha @TrK Now that is exactly where the problem started. Which was when I imported a backup WP site into the WP installation.

Hopefully Wordpress will sort it out in their next version of the script as @tbelldesignco said they're planning to do. But if not, we now know how to fix it. Thanks. Cool
Terminal

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting