arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we use pen drive as Ubuntu Partition?
Hello, 
I have lost access to my hard drive, it is damaged now. Currently I have no other hard disk to replace the damaged one. I have Ubuntu software in my pendrive, I can start live session of Ubuntu with it. But the issue is I lose installed apps in next boot.
Is there anyway to keep the updates on next boot while using live session?

Thank you  Sweet

I did create a similar thread while ago about small Linux versions which you could run by a USB. This is possible but if I remember correctly you need a bigger pen drive than 8GB. These days everyone has drives bigger than 8GB. This has its own drawbacks as well as it's not that easy to get it done. But in your situation, I guess you need it. Also, you said you have Ubuntu in your drive. This is the drive is a bootable one? If not then you will need to create a bootable USB first think. I really don't remember all the facts though.

You can do the same with Chrome OS but you need another PC to set up your Pendrive for all of these things. Maybe from a friend's PC?

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

you can get root in live environment using sudo and then just remount the /cdrom (probably) drive as read write which will enable you to save things that you do as root.

else,
live session with persistent parameter .... or create bootable usb with that set.

else just install ubuntu the normal way on that usb drive.

check ubuntu documents site. there are multiple ways this can be done.

good luck
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(06-30-2020, 01:33 PM)Littlemaster Wrote: Hello, 
I have lost access to my hard drive, it is damaged now. Currently I have no other hard disk to replace the damaged one. I have Ubuntu software in my pendrive, I can start live session of Ubuntu with it. But the issue is I lose installed apps in next boot.
Is there anyway to keep the updates on next boot while using live session?

What you’re looking for is referred to a live OS with persistent storage.

This guide shows you how to get it done: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/cr...ash-drive/

Just to give you a heads up, you’ll first need a working Ubuntu installation for you to get this done. So you can basically use your non-persistent Ubuntu live usb drive to create a persistent one on another usb drive.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(06-30-2020, 01:55 PM)xdude Wrote: This is possible but if I remember correctly you need a bigger pen drive than 8GB. This is the drive is a bootable one?
The pendrive is 32 GB one, and I have ubuntu on it, that means I can boot to live session. I actually don't know what meant by "Bootable" one.
(06-30-2020, 02:10 PM)rudra Wrote: you can get root in live environment using sudo and then just remount the /cdrom (probably) drive as read write which will enable you to save things that you do as root.

else,
live session with persistent parameter .... or create bootable usb with that set.

else just install ubuntu the normal way on that usb drive.
I will check to use sudo and let you know result. But I tried to install Ubuntu the normal way using the pendrive. But it was giving error. 
(06-30-2020, 02:11 PM)ikk157 Wrote: What you’re looking for is referred to a live OS with persistent storage.

This guide shows you how to get it done: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/cr...ash-drive/

That means I need another pendrive, I will try this too.

Thank you  Sweet

you can install from this pen drive to itself...you need toram option. that means you need to send to he live environment to the ram totally. then unplug n plug it in again....next...format properly.

but if you don't know the difference between bootable and live , then i believe you should be careful and may be try to learn things first....

though how come you use vps, but don't know that..
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-17-2017, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Golden

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting