arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS 8 released!
Hello everyone!

Great news for all users of CentOS: CentOS 8 has been finally released into the public as the next stable CentOS version.

What are the changes? A few major things:
- Like in Fedora the new dnf package manager has been adopted (known as yum 4)
- Kernel 4.18 is being used as the base (a more recent kernel as CentOS 7 was using 3.7.x)
- New versions of various software packages are of course available (glibc 2.28, systemd 239 and so on)
- Modules known from Red Hat Enterprise Linux have been adopted into CentOS 8 allowing usage of same software in multiple versions on the same machine (e.g. running Postgresql 9.6 and 10)
- Updates are available til 31st May 2029

Whole release notes are available at https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseN...ntOS8.1905

A new package manager is probably a great thing. From the looks dnf works much like yum though. Commands are like this "dnf install <package_name>" (quite similar to yum install <package_name>).

More about it here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF

A new kernel is certainly a very welcome thing. Since 3.7.X there were so many changes in the kernel. A lot of useful features and massive improvements have been added. Redesigned network stacks and drivers to get much better performance out of the hardware and network. Much much more. Unfortunately this means that CentOS 8 won't be available on OpenVZ 6 and what about OpenVZ 7?... Good question!

New versions of software are obviously always a good thing. You don't want to be stuck with old versions that might be still maintained but don't receive new feature updates that newer versions have, right?

The idea of software acting like modules is a great thing. This can improve work a lot by allowing to run multiple software instances of the same software side by side without having to use VMs or even using Docker. Don't quote me on that though! I'm a Debian user and as such I have never tried or seen the module concept of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

And the cherry is as always the massive support cycle. CentOS always gives a lot of time and dedication in this terms. CentOS 6 is very old by now BUT it is still supported until 30 Nov 2020! As it was released in 2011.. that is around 9 years of support. Other Linux distributions lose support in matter of a year or as soon as a new version arrives. Excluding of course their LTS version that usuall also get longer support but granted not as long as CentOS.

Read more in detail here: https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/cen...-download/
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Thanks for bringing us up to date with a very comprehensive post about CentOS 8 @"Hidden Refuge".  Hope 8 is going to be a lucky number for CentOS, as I'm wondering whether CentOS has been losing some of its popularity as the leading OS for Web developers.  I don't get as many requests from people to load CentOS as I used to - they seem to be favouring Debian and Ubuntu.  Also, I can't remember where, but there have been complaints CentOS is getting heavier and heavier by the day. So wonder how much heavier CentOS 8 may be?  

Hopefully those who are game for trying out the new CentOS 8, will give us their views at post4vps.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
What a great news!
According to the documentation, CentOS 8 will receive full updates until May 2024 and Maintenance Update until May 2029!
Meanwhile CentOS 7 will receive Full Update for all the 2020 and Maintenence Update until 2024!

Unfortunately I can't run it on my VPS due to OpenVZ. But well, I can always use it on a VM.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
@"Hidden Refuge": Well needless to say, as always you've come up with a great news. I'd seen the news and wanted to post it here, but unfortunately you got lucky to post it before me. Well nevermind. Hardly matters who posts it. I'd been closely following updates on CentOS 8 for the past few months and had been tracking updates on things done and things to be done.

Well, indeed a great update. I was very excited to know that dnf support is enabled this time from Fedora.

Also, it's indeed good to know the time frame CentOS team had designed for maintaining CentOS 7 as well, in addition to the brand new CentOS 8.

As @LightDestory already highlighted, I won't be able to use it on my VPS 9 due to issues with OpenVZ. But I can surely launch one VM on AWS or Azure, whichever launches the ISO first. I've my student credits, so not an issue for me to keep it running 24x7x365. As soon as I can get it, I'll be posting a review of an AWS VM with CentOS 8 perhaps.

One more thing - even if the issues with OpenVZ weren't there, still I couldn't upgrade to CentOS 8. This is because doing so woul break VestaCP, the heart of my VPS 9. Till date, we haven't seen a patch for Ubuntu 19, so expecting a patch for CentOS 8 before a few months time, is in vain.

Anyways, after I'm done experimenting, I'll share my experience with it.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Its a great news for Centos users but as far as i have experienced centos OS its been a headache for gaming servers since whenever i tried to host my gaming servers on it.
Centos started throwing error and afterwards i started using debian/unbuntu these OS's are friendly to gaming servers
(09-26-2019, 06:33 PM)kabir145 Wrote: Its a great news for Centos users but as far as i have experienced centos OS its been a headache for gaming servers since whenever i tried to host my gaming servers on it.
Centos started throwing error and afterwards i started using debian/unbuntu these OS's are friendly to gaming servers

I am surprised to hear this, but if it is relatively new then it is understandable. I prefer Ubuntu for gaming as well but I have been learning more about Cent OS. I hope whatever errors you were experiencing does not stick around. Overall looks good!
Thank you Post4VPS and BladeNode for VPS 6
It updated with newer kernel 4.x (previously centos 7 only have kernel 3.x) and probably new feature from newer kernel

previous centos version is still supported but for l9nger support and if you build a server right now and use centos i reccomend getting the new version
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
@'Hidden Refuge' do you recommend updating from CentOS 7 if im using OGP on it?
Im aware from OGP, maybe they don't support CentOS 8 yet.
Good to see that the new version brings several new features and updates and not just basic security bug fixes, personally I never really used any other than Ubuntu tbh, but I'd love to try out the other ones
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(10-20-2019, 05:26 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: @'Hidden Refuge' do you recommend updating from CentOS 7 if im using OGP on it?
Im aware from OGP, maybe they don't support CentOS 8 yet.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea.

Please open a topic in support forum or send a mail to the support of OGP.

I never used OGP. So I have no idea if it is compatible with the latest CentOS version out of the box or if it has serious issues.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting