arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper renewals at Namecheap?
I'm wondering whether any one else has experienced the same recently?  Today when I checked on one of my domains that has a renewal date later in the month, I noticed that the renewal charge was just 3$ I couldn't believe it. I expected something in the order of between 8$-10. It's not a TLD - it has an extension of .review, but still.  For me Namecheap always hits a person hard with renewals, like it's always more expensive.  Anyway, so instead of 1 year I decided to renew it for 3 years and felt I got a great deal for the day.  

Wonder whether there are more good deals at Namecheap.  Like just when I was considering changing to another Registrar, maybe Namecheap has woken up that it's got more expensive than other Registrars?  

Just checked and these are the latest promos on offer at Namecheap.  I just noticed they're now into VPN as well.  Wonder how good it would be.
https://www.namecheap.com/promos/
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Does it happens like when you ever renew a domain on namecheap the renewal is usually high? Because whenever i have bought a domain from NameCheap i do usually get it cheap and when its the time of renewal i literally had to pay only onle 5$ so the .host domain i don't know renews at 80$ when i last checked, Whereas namecheap was renewing me at for like 5$.
And it was a premium name too! It have happened multiple times but thing i noticed on TLD they do not offer these things, It have not happened with me
I have experience this with .host .website .me
Namecheap does offer good promos and good service as compared to others, Their shared hosting works also very well too!
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

(09-13-2020, 02:10 PM)deanhills Wrote: I'm wondering whether any one else has experienced the same recently?  Today when I checked on one of my domains that has a renewal date later in the month, I noticed that the renewal charge was just 3$ I couldn't believe it. I expected something in the order of between 8$-10. It's not a TLD - it has an extension of .review, but still.  For me Namecheap always hits a person hard with renewals, like it's always more expensive.  Anyway, so instead of 1 year I decided to renew it for 3 years and felt I got a great deal for the day.  

Wonder whether there are more good deals at Namecheap.  Like just when I was considering changing to another Registrar, maybe Namecheap has woken up that it's got more expensive than other Registrars?  

Just checked and these are the latest promos on offer at Namecheap.  I just noticed they're now into VPN as well.  Wonder how good it would be.
https://www.namecheap.com/promos/

I’ve always found that porkbun is the cheapest of all registrars when it comes to all costs.

For example, renewing a .review at porkbun costs $2.74, while you paid $3 at namecheap. Now the difference is only a few cents for .review, HOWEVER, the difference tends to be huge with other name endings.

For example, for the .com I recently got at porkbun, the first year price was half of that of other registrars (i do not remember the exact values).

Same goes with the renewal fees, it was a hell of a lot cheaper at porkbun than it was anywhere else. (Again, I do not remember the exact values).

So did you get a deal? The simple answer is no, you did not.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(09-13-2020, 02:14 PM)sAmI Wrote: Does it happens like when you ever renew a domain on namecheap the renewal is usually high?
I find the renewal for dot.net compared with the purchase of the domain usually much higher.  Like with my dot.nets it's rare that there is a good opportunity for more than one year at a time.  But who knows, for my .review lower level domains maybe the renewal could have been $5 before, but then at $3 it's still a good deal. I still feel like ankle clicking.

@ikk157  I still want to try porkbun.  I've heard really great reports about them.  

I notice that Namecheap currently has specials on .com around $8.  But for dot.net a new domain seems to be around 12$ as a special.  With renewals I've been paying around 14$ for the dot.net renewals - they've been creeping up and up.  Funnily enough I don't own any dot.coms right now.  Maybe they're not as popular as they used to be so that's why one can get cheap deals.  I also notice Namecheap has cheap deals with .co although .co has never appealed to me - looks like a chopped off .com to me  Wink   I have 6 dot.nets.  3 .review type lower level domains.  And the 3 free dot.tk I've managed to renew for a few years now.  The dot.tk ones have become almost nostalgic, but ironically for Freenom's not so good reputation, my experience has been very positive, including the technical Freenom registrar site and DNS that propagates almost immediately.  Now and then there's a hick up like I have lost the odd domain arbitrarily from Freenom, but for being free for my more experimental type Websites that don't generate any traffic I like Freenom.

I feel quite proud of myself.  I used to have about 25 or more domains, and over the last 2 years have managed to reduce the number to 12 - including 3 free domains from dot.tk. For me it was difficult to do as I really cling to the domains - took lots of self-discipline. Let's see whether I can let go of some more.
Terminal
(09-13-2020, 11:23 PM)deanhills Wrote: I find the renewal for dot.net compared with the purchase of the domain usually much higher.  Like with my dot.nets it's rare that there is a good opportunity for more than one year at a time.  But who knows, for my .review lower level domains maybe the renewal could have been $5 before, but then at $3 it's still a good deal.  I still feel like ankle clicking.

@ikk157  I still want to try porkbun.  I've heard really great reports about them.  

I notice that Namecheap currently has specials on .com around $8.  But for dot.net a new domain seems to be around 12$ as a special.  With renewals I've been paying around 14$ for the dot.net renewals - they've been creeping up and up.  Funnily enough I don't own any dot.coms right now.  Maybe they're not as popular as they used to be so that's why one can get cheap deals.  I also notice Namecheap has cheap deals with .co although .co has never appealed to me - looks like a chopped off .com to me  Wink   I have 6 dot.nets.  3 .review type lower level domains.  And the 3 free dot.tk I've managed to renew for a few years now.  The dot.tk ones have become almost nostalgic, but ironically for Freenom's not so good reputation, my experience has been very positive, including the technical Freenom registrar site and DNS that propagates almost immediately.  Now and then there's a hick up like I have lost the odd domain arbitrarily from Freenom, but for being free for my more experimental type Websites that don't generate any traffic I like Freenom.

I feel quite proud of myself.  I used to have about 25 or more domains, and over the last 2 years have managed to reduce the number to 12 - including 3 free domains from dot.tk. For me it was difficult to do as I really cling to the domains - took lots of self-discipline.  Let's see whether I can let go of some more.

Oh my goodness I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees .co domains as a chopped off .com .... people literally gave me weird looks whenever I’ve mentioned that hahahaha.

I myself also used to use freenom before getting my .com domain simply because I did not have a card to buy a domain, hence being stuck with freenom.

I both like and hate freenom for several reasons:

I like freenom because it’s free, what can anyone hate about that! The fact that they provide several name endings for free is impressive.

HOWEVER, after doing some research, I realized that they’ve got a dirty business model. There have been a hell of a lot of reports where if a free they provide domain gets a certain amount of traffic, freenom unregisters it and puts it up for a price... essentially holding your traffic ransom. That’s unacceptable... imagine using one of their free domains and working hard to eventually get a good amount of traffic, then BAM, you have to pay to get the domain back or end up losing it along with losing all of your traffic.

Also, their website has been quite unstable... it’s sometimes unbearably slow... and many people who have tried to register domains there found issues with the DNS entries for their domains not propagating, even if they unregister the domain then re-register it. I’ve personally experienced this as well on many occasions.

As for namecheap providing .com domains for $8, sorry bud, porkbun has those for $4.15  Troll
It seems as though porkbun’s pricing is unbeatable haha (well as of the time of writing this at least).

But holly hell how did you manage the chaos of dealing with 25+ domains.... even the 12 you currently have is still a lot! What do you even use that many domains for? Crazy
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(09-14-2020, 08:59 AM)ikk157 Wrote: As for namecheap providing .com domains for $8, sorry bud, porkbun has those for $4.15  Troll
It seems as though porkbun’s pricing is unbeatable haha (well as of the time of writing this at least).

But holly hell how did you manage the chaos of dealing with 25+ domains.... even the 12 you currently have is still a lot! What do you even use that many domains for? Crazy
$4.15 for a .com sounds like a steal. I've decided to work through my blogs from Thursday onwards, and who knows, maybe I'll purchase a new domain through porkbun. Should be fun to do after such a long time.

You're right. Having so many domains was chaotic. I use an Excel spreadsheet for my domains. Arranged by Name of domain, Registrar, Web Host, and Due Date of Renewal. I arrange it by due date. I'm more or less OK with renewing paid domains, but every now and then with Freenom, because it only gives you 2 weeks before the due date to renew, I've forgotten. Sometimes I then got lucky to reregister the Freenom domain, but have lost the odd domain that way. But since the Freenom domains aren't a big deal for me, I just get a new extension.

I'm aware of their business practices. I guess it makes sense as that is why the domains are given free. They want you to build traffic for them in exchange for getting it free. The part that is very unethical for me however is that friends of mine have built huge traffic, and then when this happened, they weren't given first choice in purchasing the domain. The domain just disappeared overnight without advance warning. So I'll never use a Freenom domain for a Website that may get traffic. I used to have a great number of Freenom domains at one stage. Think it was around 2014 when Freenom was dot.tk, that some bright spark decided to check through all domains. I then lost a few. That was the time when I noticed the greatest number of Forum discussions and complaints about their business practices. I also sent complaints to dot.tk as the domains they removed had been active. I didn't receive any responses. But since then complaints seem to have quitened a little. Also, I only have 3 Freenom domains now and make sure they are always online.
Terminal
(09-14-2020, 03:06 PM)deanhills Wrote: $4.15 for a .com sounds like a steal.  I've decided to work through my blogs from Thursday onwards, and who knows, maybe I'll purchase a new domain through porkbun.  Should be fun to do after such a long time.

You're right.  Having so many domains was chaotic.  I use an Excel spreadsheet for my domains.  Arranged by Name of domain, Registrar, Web Host, and Due Date of Renewal.  I arrange it by due date.  I'm more or less OK with renewing paid domains, but every now and then with Freenom, because it only gives you 2 weeks before the due date to renew, I've forgotten.  Sometimes I then got lucky to reregister the Freenom domain, but have lost the odd domain that way.  But since the Freenom domains aren't a big deal for me, I just get a new extension.

I'm aware of their business practices.  I guess it makes sense as that is why the domains are given free.  They want you to build traffic for them in exchange for getting it free.  The part that is very unethical for me however is that friends of mine have built huge traffic, and then when this happened, they weren't given first choice in purchasing the domain. The domain just disappeared overnight without advance warning.  So I'll never use a Freenom domain for a Website that may get traffic.  I used to have a great number of Freenom domains at one stage.  Think it was around 2014 when Freenom was dot.tk, that some bright spark decided to check through all domains.  I then lost a few.  That was the time when I noticed the greatest number of Forum discussions and complaints about their business practices.  I also sent complaints to dot.tk as the domains they removed had been active.  I didn't receive any responses.  But since then complaints seem to have quitened a little.  Also, I only have 3 Freenom domains now and make sure they are always online.

I do have to say, having some sort of database (excel in your case) to keep track of all of your domains is quite smart... certainly gets the job done.

I believe the complaints on freenom’s shady tactics have quitened down simply because people now avoid them unless they’re hella desperate to get a free domain name. While trading the risk in for getting the domain free might seem reasonable, it doesn’t justify the fact that freenom doesn’t warn people even before they register their free domains on what could happen if their domain receives enough traffic (unless it’s hidden somewhere in their terms that no one ever reads).

And good luck getting anything productive out of sending complaints to freenom against their own business tactics... they will for sure see it and ignore it.

As for you deciding on working on your blogs, would love it if you could link us to them! Obviously, like myself, you might not want to have people over here looking through your stuff... in that case, it’s completely up to you whether you’d want to share your blog with us or not.
(09-14-2020, 04:59 PM)ikk157 Wrote: I do have to say, having some sort of database (excel in your case) to keep track of all of your domains is quite smart... certainly gets the job done.

I believe the complaints on freenom’s shady tactics have quitened down simply because people now avoid them unless they’re hella desperate to get a free domain name. While trading the risk in for getting the domain free might seem reasonable, it doesn’t justify the fact that freenom doesn’t warn people even before they register their free domains on what could happen if their domain receives enough traffic (unless it’s hidden somewhere in their terms that no one ever reads).

And good luck getting anything productive out of sending complaints to freenom against their own business tactics... they will for sure see it and ignore it.

As for you deciding on working on your blogs, would love it if you could link us to them! Obviously, like myself, you might not want to have people over here looking through your stuff... in that case, it’s completely up to you whether you’d want to share your blog with us or not.

Yeah , Using Free service come with hidden Risk , Like if you are using free hosting in some company, they will shut down the site because too many visitor , and no alert before it , and you should pay to restore your site. And thats applied to freenom too,  freenom can provide free service because their paid customer and because their little "tricks".

Anyway , someone who Want to check promo or coupon code, maybe use this site bellow :
Sorry for My Bad English
I am Web Developer || Python, NodeJs, C# Programer
My Fiverr Profile
dot tk and freenom bad for me. I lose my domain there when i startd to get good no of viewers.

I like eu.org free.

Thank you all for porkbun provider. They are chesp. Sounds good too. Will buy from them.

Now this is here to ask if they offer promo codes over that pricing? That will be cherry on top.
@chotu Yeah eu.org is good but approval takes forever nowadays, though it wasn't like this. I remember getting approved in 4-5 days time. But now it takes like 15-20 days sometimes even longer.

Yea PorkBun is cheap and my primary registrar too.

And FYI they are running a free ".design" domain promo, you just need to verify your CC to claim it.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting