arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(10-24-2020, 10:07 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: Well I wouldn't agree here @xdude especially because CyberPanel isn't the best of panels not is OpenLiteSpeed the best server.

When we say the best it's a relative thing. So When I said the best it's among the all free panels I have tried so far ISPConfig, CentOS Panel, Vesta CP, Kloxo-MR, Ajenti, Virtualmin etc. Virtualmin is but slowly become a real pain when you request free support. I tested and used all these panels in various servers in last 6-7 years. I didn't say OpenLiteSpeed is the best web sever and Well tuned Apache can beat anything in my experince so far. But OpenLiteSpeed comes with Cyberpanels and works well for all my needs. For a farly new panel it works great. HestiaCP and fork of Vesta So I don't think I want to go in that direaction. I did read about it and can't say it impressed me. Might get better in future but as for current situation  it's not.

I have Cyberpanel running in my VPS5 and I do have a Managed server which has very well tuned Apache. Also Apache + Nginx web server from a friend of mine. I just have couple of Wordpress sites there for SEO purpose. So I tests all 3 with Wordpress blogs. So I only tested it for PHP since that's all what matters to me. Only downside was OpenLiteSpeed's higher memory usage. In all other cases it did better if not same.  So OpenLiteSpeed works faster but takes more memory than Apache or Nginx. It's due to the way PHP works in these 2 servers. So for me, it comes to a choice between Speed vs memory usage.

Years back this would have become a problem but today it's not a huge deal. All my servers have 3-4 GB RAM so I can take it. Plus in my sites, reourses usage is not big enough make a huge difference. I agree if you have a 512MB RAM server this is not the best choice, I wouldn't even use in a 1GB RAM. But if the server has at least 2GB RAM and avg site bunch of sites then Cyberpanel is the best among what else out there in free panel market. Not just for webserver but as the whole webhosting control panel without tweaking anything.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

I guess I should add another update to this thread. So I had to reinstall Cyberpanel again, after the VPS5 has been moved to a new node. For some reason I couldn't get it installed on Ubuntu, which is my favorite OS. I tried version 18.x, 19.x and 20.x but installation didn't even start. I remember having same problem last time too. I wanted to get the server up and running as soon as possible so I went with Cento OS 8.2. That worked flowlessly. Also I learned in there forum we can't install it on Debian for some reason.

Also it ask minimum of 1GB RAM and recommened 2GB. Plus 10 GB space. I don't consider this as a weakpoint or con. 2GB RAM is not a big deal today for server. Also that doesn't mean panel going to use 2GB or 1GB RAM. RAM usage now is about 190 MB without any sites. Installation had taken one hour and 12 minutes. I have added a domain and it's working already. DNS is all automatically sorted. With all other panels I have used so far I had to do some sort of manual editing to get sites working. I haven't tested FTP yet. Default FTP server is PureFTPd. Official site recomends to use FTP rather than SFTP. I have to read more about that.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

I know this is a CyberPanel discussion thread but I prefer using Webmin for managing servers. I haven't had any problems with it while installing it or setting it up. The panel is pretty minimalistic and simple in terms of accessibility. Everything is organized in categories in the sidebar and most (if not all) modules are displayed. Also, it is light-weight and easy on RAM and CPU which is commendable. Webmin seems to be more popular than CyberPanel as it is rich in features and modules.
There are some aspects about the CyberPanel that require improvement like system utility functions, hardware administration and tracebacks.
I would recommend CyberPanel for its User Interface/User Experience elements and accessibility which seems to stand out from other control panels.
Just my opinion. Let me know if I missed anything about any of the 2 control panels.
I recently took a try on Cyberpanel. First I set it up on my backup server and tested it for about a week.

For the most part, everything works well for my needs.

I did have a few issues so far as everything working right out of the box:

Cyberpanel could use some improvement in default server configurations for rewrite rules, if they are going to have default configurations. I had to fix mine for permalinks. As several people have commented, there is some complexity in the setup of dns and mail - it's great that these options are in place but it would be better if it was easy to get them to work. Hopefully whoever among us figures it out first puts up a good tutorial.

One thing I didn't really like (I wouldn't call it a bug; maybe an unintended behavior) is that after a period of inactivity you are logged out. That's a sensible security precaution, and I appreciate it; however it would be nice if I could be notified or informed after I've been logged out, rather than fighting mystery error messages as I attempt to upload a file.

In comparison to webmin: I noticed the higher ram usage, but made some savings by converting my sites to shared hosting as opposed to each site in its own docker container. While cyberpanel itself uses more resources, I am running much more efficiently overall with the shared hosting setup. Unfortunately this means I haven't made any time to test the docker integrations

After a week of testing on the backup server I decided to reinstall my production server. I still have a few broken links around to tidy up, but overall I like it. The gui is much more intuitive than webmin or ISPConfig: I've used webmin quite a bit, and I've experienced the decline as modules became buggier and broken over the years. Given that RAM is much cheaper than it used to be I don't mind sparing a couple hundred MB to run a more modern panel with more active development and growing documentation. The good reviews also give me hopes of great community support in the future.
(11-19-2020, 07:25 PM)fitkoh Wrote: As several people have commented, there is some complexity in the setup of dns and mail - it's great that these options are in place but it would be better if it was easy to get them to work. Hopefully whoever among us figures it out first puts up a good tutorial.

This what I do for mail server:
1. Issue a mail SSL certificate for one of your domain that you will use frequently for sending emails (Somehow after I did this it started working)
2. After SSL certifcate issued, restart the mail service and you now should be able to access Rainloop and creating emails.
3. Don't forget to update your DNS (if you're using 3rd party DNS service like Cloudflare), otherwise your email will end up in spam.

About the DNS server, I would suggest to turn it on because turning it off then on is very hard. I need to setup a few things which I already forget. Most likely your subdomain DNS will be listed in your main domain. I hosted a website where I only host the subdomain and the main domain somewhere else. I tried to add DNS multiple time but it doesn't show anything. I then add the main domain and all of my subdomain DNS that I added are listed there.

I also need help if someone figure it out how to properly input DKIM generated by Cyberpanel to Cloudflare. All my emails are coming to inbox (which is good) but none of them are signed by my server due to DKIM DNS errors.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
So finally I'm in the process of installing CyberPanel. It's been interesting so far. I'm planning to write a tutorial once I've mastered everything first, however before I do need clarification of the following questions that were asked during the installation process.

To put the questions in the right perspective: I opted for CUSTOM INSTALL instead of FULL INSTALL. I did the same with VestaCP. I.e. elected not to have email or ftp. This time round I also decided to go without DNS. So with the custom install I said NO for DNS, FTP and e-mails. But then CyberPanel asked me the following questions which I Googled, but can't understand how they fit in with CyberPanel, i.e. what are the consequences going to be for having said NO to the following questions:

1. Do you wish to install Memcached process?

2. Do you wish to install Redis process?

3. Do you wish to set up Watchdog (beta)?

I opted NO for all of the above. So I basically said NO to all the questions of the custom install.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
deanhills Wrote:Do you wish to install Memcached process?

Memcached is an additional application that helps to run web applications faster by caching objects and other things into RAM to make access to them very fast. It can cache a lot of different things used in web applications, variables, objects, database calls, API calls and web page renderings.

The name basically already says what it does mem = memory, cached well, its cached... both means memory cached. Basically you use as much free RAM as possible to speed up your web applications like websites and other stuff.

The website of memcached: https://memcached.org/

deanhills Wrote:Do you wish to install Redis process?

Redis is a kind of in memory database system that belongs to the no SQL database family because it doesn't use SQL queries to store and access data.

Whether you need this depends on your web application. If you never heard of it and never used it before - you simply don't need it.

Redis: https://redis.io/

deanhills Wrote:Do you wish to set up Watchdog (beta)?

Well, that is a bit hard to answer for a person who never used Cyberpanel.

However Watchdogs are nothing new. It's a monitoring process for the actual process. It checks if the process is still alive and working as intended. If it detects that something is not working it will attempt to get the main process up and running.

Linux and other OSs have watchdogs for all kind of processes and services. Mostly without you noticing anything. They're working in the background and making sure things are running.

Most likely this feature is for the Cyberpanel services and processes. As it says it is in beta it might be not a good idea to use it in production unless you want to really try it out and maybe even help the developers by reporting issues with it to them and etc.

Defintion of a Watchdog: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchdog_timer

Information about the Linux watchdog: https://linux.die.net/man/8/watchdog
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Thanks for the detailed response @Mashiro.  Regarding:
Quote:The name basically already says what it does mem = memory, cached well, its cached... both means memory cached. Basically you use as much free RAM as possible to speed up your web applications like websites and other stuff.

Would there be any negative consequences for not installing this process? Apart from being slower of course.

Reason why I was anti and said NO was that I'm worried when creating posts and making changes to my WordPress sites that caching would be an issue for being able to see the changes immediately.
Terminal
I don't think that you would experience such issues. However I cannot answer this question properly for 100%. I usually installed PHP memcached but never configured it or anything. It would use default values. So I never made the experience with memcached installed vs memcached not installed. Depending on what you host the difference might be small or barely noticable (also depends a lot on how much power your server has). I never experience the issues you are worried about though.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(05-09-2021, 03:43 PM)Mashiro Wrote: I don't think that you would experience such issues. However I cannot answer this question properly for 100%. I usually installed PHP memcached but never configured it or anything. It would use default values. So I never made the experience with memcached installed vs memcached not installed. Depending on what you host the difference might be small or barely noticable (also depends a lot on how much power your server has). I never experience the issues you are worried about though.

Thanks for the feedback @Mashiro.  Looks like in the end everything worked out.  The WordPress installation I created from CyberPanel was much more effortless than with VestaCP.  I was a bit taken aback by how long the CyberPanel script took to be installed in comparison with VestaCP, but maybe all of what has been included in the CyberPanel script makes for faster and more efficient management of Websites.  I had a WordPress installation up and running almost instantly. CyberPanel even asked me what php version I wanted.  There were 8 php versions to choose from.  I didn't have to look for any tools, they were all where they were supposed to be.  I've made a few posts, tinkered with the WordPress site, and everything has been fast.  No hickups.

I'm going to leave it for just the one Website for now, so I can figure out the VPS 9 SeLinux and Port issues of my VPS.  I'd rather fix the port properly, before I continue any further.  At least I've mastered CyberPanel for what I need it for.  For now.

For those who are still wondering whether CyberPanel is the right panel for you, you may want to check out these comments by Fitkoh:

fitkoh Wrote:Cyberpanel could use some improvement in default server configurations for rewrite rules, if they are going to have default configurations. I had to fix mine for permalinks. As several people have commented, there is some complexity in the setup of dns and mail - it's great that these options are in place but it would be better if it was easy to get them to work. Hopefully whoever among us figures it out first puts up a good tutorial.

One thing I didn't really like (I wouldn't call it a bug; maybe an unintended behavior) is that after a period of inactivity you are logged out. That's a sensible security precaution, and I appreciate it; however it would be nice if I could be notified or informed after I've been logged out, rather than fighting mystery error messages as I attempt to upload a file.

In comparison to webmin: I noticed the higher ram usage, but made some savings by converting my sites to shared hosting as opposed to each site in its own docker container. While cyberpanel itself uses more resources, I am running much more efficiently overall with the shared hosting setup. Unfortunately this means I haven't made any time to test the docker integrations

After a week of testing on the backup server I decided to reinstall my production server. I still have a few broken links around to tidy up, but overall I like it. The gui is much more intuitive than webmin or ISPConfig: I've used webmin quite a bit, and I've experienced the decline as modules became buggier and broken over the years. Given that RAM is much cheaper than it used to be I don't mind sparing a couple hundred MB to run a more modern panel with more active development and growing documentation. The good reviews also give me hopes of great community support in the future.

So in the early hours of the morning CyberPanel got nixed.  I was just about to go to bed when I thought to check my new WordPress Website.  It then came up with a strange WordPress page that said it could not be found.  However when you add wp-admin, it is there.  I Googled this to death, and through the process the very large and bulky CyberPanel started to irritate me.  When I checked File Manager I started to notice all kinds of files I didn't like.  @fitkohas correct about the default server configurations for rewrite rules. I think it was at the root of the problem.

Then what finally did it was while I was searching for an uninstall command I couldn't find one.  CyberPanel is too bulky, too heavy and to complicated for me.  It seems to want to take over my whole VPS instead of a light and easy on VPS specs panel - seen but not heard.  So I guess my next project is going to be @sohamb03 suggestion of the Belgian Fork of VestaCP.
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting