arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have noticed that there is debian 9.4 in a vps os reinstall
Anyone tried it?
Is it ok or have some lag?
Will Debian 9.4 be a good choice for OGP?
I also use debian on JP VPS
but not Debian 9.4
Are there volunteers who want to test the OS ?
Terminal
Solo Developer
Debian is reliable and stable in my opinion, any new version should be stable and good to use for whatever you want to do.

Tip:
Did you know Debian has a feature where when you upgrade the version to a newer one, it will update the OS in the background while still operating as normal and require no restarts whatsoever?
Debian "Stretch" 9 being new? I'm sorry guys, it isn't really new anymore. It has reached "oldstable" status. The current stable is Debian "Buster" 10 as of July 2019.

Debian 9.4 is a very old version. The latest and last is Debian 9.9 (April 2019). When you update it, this will be the version that your installation will be updated to.

Back to the topic: Debian is a generally very stable, well tested and secure Linux distribution. There is no need to worry.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Debian 9.4 is just debian 9 but .4 represents the lower version number which gives bug fixes and security updates. The first number 9 is the major feature change and if that changes then it should be a major feature release which introduces huge changes.
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
Well @Hidden Refuge
Thanks for ur review but i never seen that OS before :V
(08-07-2019, 04:03 AM)SRTerabytes Wrote: Tip:
Did you know Debian has a feature where when you upgrade the version to a newer one, it will update the OS in the background while still operating as normal and require no restarts whatsoever?
No, can you tell me how?
@youssefbasha

You have never seen Debian before? Or just Debian 9 or Debian 9.4? Debian Stretch rings some bells for you? Look at this page. Debian 9.4 is simply a subversion of Debian "Stretch" 9. Usually subversions are released when the Debian developers release a lot of new updates and bugfixes at once instead in droplets over a period of time. CentOS project does exactly the same (current CentOS 7 subversion is 7.6 build 1810). Many other Linux distributions do the same. Absolutely nothing special.

If you have never seen Debian... Well, time you start looking into it. Many Linux distribution are based on Debian (including Ubuntu which has added many many many customization and packages).

If you have not seen Debian 9 before you probably don't bother much with being up to date and things like support and security. Well, that's not something I will look at and say it is good but that's up to you. I have seen people STILL using Debian 5 when Debian 8 was released.

Regard what @Kururin said:

1. A part of this updates without rebooting is actually thanks to the Linux kernel. With version 4.0 of the Linux kernel the "no reboot kernel patching" feature was introduced. It allows updates of the Linux kernel, Kernel firmware and all other Kernel components without having to reboot the server afterwards. Reference.

All Linux distributions benefit from this Kernel feature. With more and more Kernel version updates the feature has been improved and extended. Debian 9 runs a 4.X Kernel and therefore supports this kind of updates. Debian 8 is unfortunately running Kernel 3.X and needs reboots when updating the Kernel and its components.

2. A way to achieve the automatic mentioned updates on Debian is a feature called "Unattended Upgrades". This feature maintains the goal of keeping your OS up to date automatically in the background. Since Debian 9 this feature is a default. Older versions need manual installation and configuration before it can be used.

See here for more information and a guide.

It's a great feature and I use it on some servers that run simple tasks and where I don't have to bother with updating things by myself daily/weekly or monthly.

One should always be careful though! It happens to everyone that broken updates are released and when unattended upgrades installs these on your OS... Well, it can break down and you won't have a solution until the OS developers publish a method or fix update. While if you would have updated it manually later you might have simply missed the broken update and already got the proper one because you waited longer.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@Hidden i used Debian 8.10 Jessie only and just to install ogp so my knowledge about debian is not enough
Thanks for the links Smile

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting