arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This was scary!
one think i didn't read much about in the posts up there. whether to keep your pc in powered state or switch off and unplug when not using...

after reading many write-ups out there, i find it logical that for modern computers, leaving it turned on does not matter much when it comes to its durability. except some components you might have, liked entry level hdds for retail consumers ( some are claimed to be tested and rated to work couple of hours each day of sustained use. vs the surveillance or higher tier ones rated for 24*7 use.), the whole system is better suited for leaving it powered on. i do just that. it goes into sleep mode and consumes like a small wattage bulb.

it is often during the powering on or off time, when your system gets damaged. cause that is when the system is not in steady state. power gradient is changing significantly. so unless you expect a lightning storm or serious loadshedding issues, i would just leave it on.

also remember that leaving it off and not unplugging leaves it very vulnerable to surges. especially from lightning strikes even if they are not close by. that high amount of potential difference travels through gaps by induction.

suggestion of UPS use is very sound. i use a really old one with a surge protector. ups is a big help especially if it is always online one. they dont last as long. but there you are always getting power from the battery. so it is what gets damaged in surge situations.

but switching type is good too. much better than none.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(02-25-2020, 05:44 PM)rudra Wrote: also remember that leaving it off and not unplugging leaves it very vulnerable to surges. especially from lightning strikes even if they are not close by. that high amount of potential difference travels through gaps by induction.

suggestion of UPS use is very sound. i use a really old one with a surge protector. ups is a big help especially if it is always online one. they dont last as long. but there you are always getting power from the battery. so it is what gets damaged in surge situations.

but switching type is good too. much better than none.
You're right @rudra. UPS is a good suggestion, just resisting the expenditure of one for now. But I think for me specifically the discipline of turning off the computer when I know I won't get to it for a few hours, is best. So far I've learned the greater of the damage is usually if there is a surge that happens when the power comes on again, and if the computer was not disconnected it can get damage. So I have to make sure that it is turned off after the power went off, and the best way of doing that is to acquire the discipline of turning the computer off when I anticipate not using it for a while, or there is load shedding coming.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(02-26-2020, 05:10 PM)deanhills Wrote: You're right @rudra. UPS is a good suggestion, just resisting the expenditure of one for now. But I think for me specifically the discipline of turning off the computer when I know I won't get to it for a few hours, is best. So far I've learned the greater of the damage is usually if there is a surge that happens when the power comes on again, and if the computer was not disconnected it can get damage. So I have to make sure that it is turned off after the power went off, and the best way of doing that is to acquire the discipline of turning the computer off when I anticipate not using it for a while, or there is load shedding coming.
Maybe off-topic here, but tell me something, are y'all informed when a load-shedding is to happen. Like out here, we're only informed of it lasts for about 6-7 hours, that too in event of any repairs being done by the electricity department, otherwise no prior information.

Anyway, it's good to use a UPS, but of course, if you're trying to avoid spending on it for now, the method you describe is probably the best. I'm sure you could prevent any damage to the PC though regularized shutdowns. Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
i think i saw updates on the website of an African electricity provider about coming loadshedding schedules. Though I dont know what the case is for Dean.

I also dont think they do updates for loadshedding here in WB. would be good if they did though.

but the thing to note is none can notify when the transformer is going to go kaput or something else going to fail. outages due to unforeseen circumstances will remain like that. hehe

i just noticed that this might be another example of Fitch's paradox. You cant know all truth or should i say unknown truths are unknowable.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
I advise you to install a diesel generator that has an automatic transfer switch (ATS) system in your home and a UPS on your computer!
If you want your computer to turn on 24/7/365!

Don't forget to sync your important data to Cloud Storage so you don't lose that important treasure!

~ I Hate My Life For Now ! ~
Terminal
Solo Developer
Simply saying inverter is the best option for solving these issues. Actually in our area sometimes voltage inconsistency occur. Our agency sometimes notify by sms and sometimes they don't notify. I still remember plugging one of my mobile charger and I heard a sound of fuse and felt a smell that made me aware of the damage. After a few minutes I plugged in another charger and the same thing happened this time as well. In our home there is no inverter. But in our institution we have inverter and we manage this voltage issue. High voltage and low voltage, both are difficult for the equipments.Invertor can solve this issue but it cost something high. Inverter will also get damaged. In conclusion these things always occur if there is a beginning there is an end to Electrical devices.

Thank you  Sweet

(02-28-2020, 02:23 PM)Littlemaster Wrote: In conclusion these things always occur if there is a beginning there is an end to Electrical devices.
Agreed with you @Littlemaster. I found it quite hilarious when Chancellor Merkel from Germany visited South Africa and one of her great discussions with President Ramaphosa of South Africa was the gift of Volkswagen electrical cars for trying out.

I'm seriously wishing for some greater technology for creating power to generate devices. Looks like your problem is much worse than mine though. I haven't had an experience like that hopefully ever.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting