arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy way to install a seedbox (rtorrent+rutorrent) on Ubuntu
Rainbow 
BEFORE PROCEEDING!
DON'T TRY THIS ON YOUR FREE VPSES CAUSE THEN IT CAN LEAD TO ITS SUSPENSION!
SOLELY FOR EDUCATION PURPOSE ONLY!

First of all I have previously posted a tutorial on medium about this which can be found here: [url=https://medium.com/@theamresh.sinha/easily-install-rtorrent-rutorrent-on-ubuntu-d09660a02916?source=friends_link&sk=2c487c2f8eb2514b75865cb2b84cb7d2]Easy installation of rTorrent+ruTorrent on ubuntu[/url]
Also, I am going to avoid those long descriptions which I have posted on my medium post to keep it simple and short..... 

Getting Started
Plus: As I stated in my medium post..... Many users face problems due to ssh port change during installation..... idk If this is a problem at all as those commands once started runs on the server and is unaffected by your local machine.... ryt? 
But Still I have seen many peoples issue on github related to this script.
Ohh wait I forgot to tell you about that script which I am gonna use here.
Its rtinst!
Github repo: rtinst

Requirements
Firstly, you need a Ubuntu Machine running locally or on a remote server.... versions supported(16 to 19) idk about 20.... If anyone tries on 20 then comment below Smile
Second, As usual Login to your server through any ssh client or your native machines terminal....
THIRD(IMORTANT), Before getting started plz make sure that torrenting doesn't violates your hosts T&C..... otherwside there can be a chance to loose your vps

Installation
Step-1: 
Switch to sudo: 
$ sudo -i

Step-2:
Update your server packages so that no dependency error occurs during installation
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade

Step-3:
Now Comes the main part i.e., Fetching the script and then installing it
$ sudo bash -c “$(wget — no-check-certificate -qO — https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arakasi72/rtinst/master/rtsetup)"

Then:
$ sudo rtinst -l -w YOUR_RUTORRENT_PASSWORD -d -t

Remember to replace YOUR_RUTORRENT_PASSWORD with your password which you want to be your rutorrent GUI web Password

Note that I have added that -t at the end which tells the script that don't change default ssh port 22.... (I added that as I stated the reason above in Getting Started Section)

All the other commands information can be found on that github repo

Also this installation will install 
vsftpd, libTorrent/rTorrent/xmlrpc-c, ruTorrent, NGINX, autodl-irssi, Webmin (Optional but recommended!)

Quote:As soon as you start running the script by above command it will ask you several things which you should answer according to your server and your own needs!
At the End rtinst will give you the information of the installation like ftp port (Due to security reasons it assigns a random port), the address of rutorrent WebGUI, the HTTPS download location, etc! So Note it down on a secure place Wink

Step-4:
Installing Webmin (Just Told ya that its optional but I recommend it as it simplifies file management and server management)
$ sudo rtwebmin

Step-5:
Reboot The System
$ sudo reboot

That's It!

If you want to upgrade rtorrent and rutorrent to its newest packages then:

rtorrent:
$ sudo rtupdate

rutorrent:
$ sudo rutupgrade

Hope So This tutorial will help all those geeks out there Wink
Feel free to comment Smile
Suggestions are always welcomed Wink
Terminal
Thankyou Post4VPS, @Pacific Spirit (Hostlease) for a Free VPS!
+
Thankyou to @Neoon for a Free NanoKVM VPS
i think running seedbox on your vps violates TOS of every hosting sponsors over here. May be you could try to juggle words by saying that incoming is allowed... but the thing is when you are downloading, you are also sharing parts of the torrent. so unless it is something legally allowed, free/non-copyrighted material, you are violating TOS.

I think occasional download won't get you into trouble. but running a seedbox with movies, softwares, songs will almost surely get you banned.....warned at least.

good luck.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(07-17-2020, 08:24 AM)rudra Wrote: i think running seedbox on your vps violates TOS of every hosting sponsors over here. I think you could try to juggle words by saying that incoming is allowed... but the thing is when you are downloading, you are also sharing parts of the torrent. so unless it is something legally allowed, free/non-copyrighted material, you are violating TOS.

I think occasional download won't get you into trouble. but running a seedbox with movies, softwares, songs will almost surely get you banned.....warned at least.

good luck.

I have previously installed a seedbox on Amazon Aws EC2 instance.....
I didn't get any warning letter there (this doesn't means that all other will host there too) [Its Pricy too!]
And
There are many hosts which allows torrenting over their vpses .....
but the thing is their pricings are not that cheap as compared to vpses without torrenting....

Torrenting has many cons if its done on a vps....
First, CPU and RAM usage
Second, DMCA policy problem
and many more.....

Thats why its not cheap and yes not available everywhere........

That's why I added that Red Line to warn users before installing a seedbox on their vpses..... cause it can lead to termination of it.....

But Still Happy Geeking! Wink
Terminal
+
Thanks @rudra for posting that cautionary note, and thanks @Amresh for adding it to your tutorial. @rudra is correct that this tutorial may not apply to the VPSs that we have for promotion at post4vps. Please don't try it on our VPSs before verifying that it is allowed by the sponsor first.

As always and the staff can't stress it enough.  When you have your eye on a VPS you need to know the objectives you're going to use it for FIRST.  THEN very important - most important - you have to read the Terms and Conditions (TOS) of the sponsor VERY CAREFULLY - Word for Word and match it up with your objectives.  Particularly for something like Torrents.  Don't just assume or "hope" that the sponsor is going to allow it.  If you can't find it specifically addressed in the sponsor's TOS, then ask us to find out for you first.  We prefer that.  Because if torrents are not allowed, and you were just taking a chance and hoping that the sponsor does allow it rather than making sure you know, then the VPS gets suspended from the sponsor, and you put a whole load on the staff to get it unsuspended.  Worse, the sponsor may have a zero tolerance policy, in which case we may lose the VPS entirely.

Secondly, as you mentioned in your second post @Amresh, torrents take a lot of CPU and bandwidth to run.  I'd say the majority of sponsors believe in common sense "fair use" policy - particularly since the VPSs under our care are promotion VPSs.  If they see the CPU or bandwidth being abused, the VPS may be suspended instantly without questions asked first.  

I wish not only some of our members but all of our members realize that there is an expectation from each member to exercise proper care and to read the TOS and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) of the sponsor very carefully - BEFORE you apply for the VPS.
Another good idea would also be to read through the VPS Support Section of post4vps for a history of support requests to get a good sense of what the sponsor's level of tolerance is.  Like you could easily Google the sponsor's account name and find responses by him.  You'll then easily pick up on some of our sponsors who have a very strict ZERO TOLERANCE policy.  If you're unsure about it, you can always ask us by opening a VPS support discussion in the Forum.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(07-17-2020, 01:53 PM)deanhills Wrote: Thanks @rudra for posting that cautionary note, and thanks @Amresh for adding it to your tutorial.  @rudras correct that this tutorial may not apply to the VPSs that we have for promotion at post4vps.  Please don't try it on our VPSs before verifying that it is allowed by the sponsor first.

As always and the staff can't stress it enough.  When you have your eye on a VPS you need to know the objectives you're going to use it for FIRST.  THEN very important - most important - you have to read the Terms and Conditions (TOS) of the sponsor VERY CAREFULLY - Word for Word and match it up with your objectives.  Particularly for something like Torrents.  Don't just assume or "hope" that the sponsor is going to allow it.  If you can't find it specifically addressed in the sponsor's TOS, then ask us to find out for you first.  We prefer that.  Because if torrents are not allowed, and you were just taking a chance and hoping that the sponsor does allow it rather than making sure you know, then the VPS gets suspended from the sponsor, and you put a whole load on the staff to get it unsuspended.  Worse, the sponsor may have a zero tolerance policy, in which case we may lose the VPS entirely.

Secondly, as you mentioned in your second post @Amresh, torrents take a lot of CPU and bandwidth to run.  I'd say the majority of sponsors believe in common sense "fair use" policy - particularly since the VPSs under our care are promotion VPSs.  If they see the CPU or bandwidth being abused, the VPS may be suspended instantly without questions asked first.  

I wish not only some of our members but all of our members realize that there is an expectation from each member to exercise proper care and to read the TOS and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) of the sponsor very carefully - BEFORE you apply for the VPS.
Another good idea would also be to read through the VPS Support Section of post4vps for a history of support requests to get a good sense of what the sponsor's level of tolerance is.  Like you could easily Google the sponsor's account name and find responses by him.  You'll then easily pick up on some of our sponsors who have a very strict ZERO TOLERANCE policy.  If you're unsure about it, you can always ask us by opening a VPS support discussion in the Forum.

Yes @deanhills thats why I added that red line there

+++++

A note for vps holders: Don't try this tutorial on your free vpses as it can lead to suspension of your vps.....

+++++

This tutorial was solely for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY!

+++++

Want to try this then search on google for some offshore vps hosting with torrenting allowed....

+++++

Whichever is the host, don't ever dare to try to host any illegal content on it..... Angel

Regards,
Amresh
Terminal
+
(07-17-2020, 08:24 AM)rudra Wrote: i think running seedbox on your vps violates TOS of every hosting sponsors over here. May be you could try to juggle words by saying that incoming is allowed... but the thing is when you are downloading, you are also sharing parts of the torrent. so unless it is something legally allowed, free/non-copyrighted material, you are violating TOS.

good luck.

Pirating anything for a matter of fact is illegal everywhere. So this applies to everything, not just the sponsored VPSs over here. From movies to paid software to anything really... pirated/nulled versions are a big no no!

Same goes with anything else that’s illegal, you shouldn’t be dealing with it anywhere... not with just the sponsored VPSs over here. 

And most certainly, it’s not just while using a seedbox that said illegal material should be avoided. It’s, yet again, EVERYWHERE where said content shouldn’t be handled by anyone.

A seedbox should only be used, just as you said, for dealing with/downloading material LEGALLY. Nothing illegal.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(07-17-2020, 03:21 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Pirating anything for a matter of fact is illegal everywhere. So this applies to everything, not just the sponsored VPSs over here. From movies to paid software to anything really... pirated/nulled versions are a big no no!

Same goes with anything else that’s illegal, you shouldn’t be dealing with it anywhere... not with just the sponsored VPSs over here. 

And most certainly, it’s not just while using a seedbox that said illegal material should be avoided. It’s, yet again, EVERYWHERE where said content shouldn’t be handled by anyone.

A seedbox should only be used, just as you said, for dealing with/downloading material LEGALLY. Nothing illegal.

ya @ikk157 that's why I said that its for education purpose only and no one should try hosting any sort of illegal content.....

Not only as it gets the user banned but users who may have given their details to the host (including address) can have a chance of Police knocking their doors 

I have read about many people who used to do torrenting (dealing with illegal stuff) and got a warning letter from their ISP as well as Police....
Some were even sent to jail....

So, being aware online is the main concern nowadays..... People should get to know that what is wrong or right otherwise anything can happen with them online ........
Terminal
+
Perhaps it's time to close this discussion as it is basically a one-way tutorial. As repeated by @Amresh. Please don't use it on your VPSs from post4vps.com.

@Amresh if you want me to open the discussion again because you think it is necessary, please PM me with the reasons you think it should be opened.

- closed -
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting