arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity Storage, is it possible?
As any business, including the data centers the important thing is the supply of electricity. In my locality often flood occurs in the near by areas. It forces the electricity board to turn of the power supply for a large area including non-affected areas. The issue is sometimes the flood occurs in the way to the sub station from the main station. So there is no instant supply to the substation. 
My question is how the issue of power cut affecting in your area and business? 
Is there any solution such as storing the electricity in mass amount for the future.

Thank you  Sweet

when the power goes out, some companies use a backup source for their electricity!

one of them is like a company, just call it the alias name company om agus!

they have a very large generator underneath their company building, which turns on automatically when the mains power goes out!
Terminal
Solo Developer
Well, why don't you use an inverter? It's the same power backup you're looking for. We've one at our house and it can easily give a backup of ~8 hours with every application and device in the house running.

For business, purpose you'll need more than one but that should do it.
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
South Africa is very badly affected.  Electricity supply as a rule is unreliable.  There is a problem with reliable supply in that the power stations have to undergo major maintenance and are lacking in skilled manpower with the result that the power now and then goes down on an unpredictable unplanned basis and we then have to share power for a few weeks at a time until the units have been repaired.  During such period we have to do power sharing.  Which means power goes down on a selective basis according to the region you are in and depending on the stage needed 2 to 4 sessions of 3 hour power breaks in one's area.  That is bad for business.  So business - particularly the large corporations have developed their own backup plans.  Some are creative with solar panels but solar panels are not cheap to install.  Others have worked out their own expensive methods to have their own backup plans - but of course all of this is very expensive and I guess the consumer has to pay for it in the end.

Personally it's a great headache for me with my computer.  Particularly when the power comes back on.  I could get a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which will help to buffer the electricity loads, but haven't bought one yet. I'm very careful with trying to follow the schedules of power sharing, shutting my computer down immediately after use, and I have two rechargeable torches for light. I just pray for all of my other appliances to be OK during loadshedding periods.  

For those willing to invest in equipment to protect one's appliances one can get mini-UPSs that are cheap and that would just help power down your computer so you can shut it down.  Or you could get much more expensive UPSs where you can have more power to work on your computer.  It could go from very basic systems that are more or less affordable, to very sophisticated systems that are installed by electricians and are very very expensive - unaffordable for most.  Basically it's a backup power supply with batteries that are set up to charge when power supply is available, and once power supply is shut off by the electricity supplier, the unit kicks in with generating power.  

Some people use generators that are petrol driven but those are horribly expensive to run as one needs lots of petrol and very disruptive with noise.  Quite a number of households who have a few dollars to spare have opted for more sophisticated UPSs.  One can get a whole domestic unit consisting of a battery pack that is portable and that one can plug in TV, some lights and appliances or computers selectively.  Quite a number of homes have gone for that solution. They can range from very basic and cheaper to very sophisticated and high-end more expensive.

Here is a good example of a high-end sophisticated inverter/battery system that would work seamlessly with the main power supply, i.e. computer or TV won't power down when the main electricity stops - the backup electricity kicks in within 15 seconds.

Here is the price for it in South African Rand.  This is approx 830 US Dollars
https://sinetechstore.co.za/shop/solar-k...tem-white/

In the above youtube show it also shows a demo for the "Ratel" product, which is a very powerful handheld inverter/battery set as backup for laptop computers and phones.  It is much cheaper - only 56$ US

[Image: BDpicNX.png]
https://ecodepot.co.za/products/omnipowe...charge-15w
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(08-07-2020, 10:12 AM)deanhills Wrote: South Africa is very badly affected.  Electricity supply as a rule is unreliable.  There is a problem with reliable supply in that the power stations have to undergo major maintenance and are lacking in skilled manpower with the result that the power now and then goes down on an unpredictable unplanned basis and we then have to share power for a few weeks at a time until the units have been repaired.  During such period we have to do power sharing.  Which means power goes down on a selective basis according to the region you are in and depending on the stage needed 2 to 4 sessions of 3 hour power breaks in one's area.  That is bad for business.  So business - particularly the large corporations have developed their own backup plans.  Some are creative with solar panels but solar panels are not cheap to install.  Others have worked out their own expensive methods to have their own backup plans - but of course all of this is very expensive and I guess the consumer has to pay for it in the end.

Personally it's a great headache for me with my computer.  Particularly when the power comes back on.  I could get a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which will help to buffer the electricity loads, but haven't bought one yet.  I'm very careful with trying to follow the schedules of power sharing, shutting my computer down immediately after use, and I have two rechargeable torches for light.  I just pray for all of my other appliances to be OK during loadshedding periods.  

For those willing to invest in equipment to protect one's appliances one can get mini-UPSs that are cheap and that would just help power down your computer so you can shut it down.  Or you could get much more expensive UPSs where you can have more power to work on your computer.  It could go from very basic systems that are more or less affordable, to very sophisticated systems that are installed by electricians and are very very expensive - unaffordable for most.  Basically it's a backup power supply with batteries that are set up to charge when power supply is available, and once power supply is shut off by the electricity supplier, the unit kicks in with generating power.  

Some people use generators that are petrol driven but those are horribly expensive to run as one needs lots of petrol and very disruptive with noise.  Quite a number of households who have a few dollars to spare have opted for more sophisticated UPSs.  One can get a whole domestic unit consisting of a battery pack that is portable and that one can plug in TV, some lights and appliances or computers selectively.  Quite a number of homes have gone for that solution.  They can range from very basic and cheaper to very sophisticated and high-end more expensive.

Here is a good example of a high-end sophisticated inverter/battery system that would work seamlessly with the main power supply, i.e. computer or TV won't power down when the main electricity stops - the backup electricity kicks in within 15 seconds.

Here is the price for it in South African Rand.  This is approx 830 US Dollars
https://sinetechstore.co.za/shop/solar-k...tem-white/

In the above youtube show it also shows a demo for the "Ratel" product, which is a very powerful handheld inverter/battery set as backup for laptop computers and phones.  It is much cheaper - only 56$ US

[Image: BDpicNX.png]
https://ecodepot.co.za/products/omnipowe...charge-15w

I’d like to point out my opinion on several things you’ve mentioned in your reply:

First off, you’ve mentioned that when equipment in the power grid goes down such that it can’t supply enough power to everyone at once, you end up “sharing” power by the system you just described of cutting power to certain zones at certain times of the day. While thats an absolute nightmare on the receiving end (your end), I personally find it quite smart. Why? Well, it’s actually quite a decent temporary solution of providing at least some power while their grid is getting fixed up... much better than keeping the power up 24/7 for unaffected zones while completely shutting the power down for affected zones until whatever failed is fixed. Sure, it’s a major disadvantage to those who aren’t directly affected by the failure as now their power is getting cut to provide power to those affected directly by the failure, but it’s also great to the latter. Sure it’s not a great solution, but it’s not half bad, better have power at certain times of the day rather than no power at all!

Also, dont you think it’s about time you sell your desktop pc and buy a laptop instead? I dont quite understand why you’re sticking with something that requires constant mains power to operate when laptops are a thing! Plus, with a laptop, you won’t have to go through the financial and general trouble of getting a UPS... since laptops have their own UPS known in the modern day and age as {drum roll} a battery! (Didn’t see that coming did you?  Wink ) It just makes zero sense to be dealing with a desktop pc while going through those persistent power outages. 

As for using UPSs as backup power (an inverter is just a device that changes a DC current to AC, it’s not the backup device thag stores the power for later use itself... but it just changes the Direct Current coming in from the batteries to Alternating current, which is what anything that plugs into the wall runs on), those aren’t that cheap at all. The one you linked wont be able to supply much power. You need something with significantly higher capacity to serve as a reliable backup during these outages, which doesn’t come cheap. Not to mention that batteries do wear out, so you’d see yourself spending more and more replacing them when they’ve been worn out past the state where they can be of any use anymore.

Also, arent the issues with parts of the power grid failing eventually resolved and power goes back to being on 24/7? Or does no one bother fixing stuff there so the issue remains forever?
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
I would say best is to invest in solar panels than to buy beefy backup solutions in volving just battery and charger and inverter.

Also good UPS which come online as soon as you get a power outage and dont let you lose your work on desktop are good. but as he said, if you want the ones with capacity to run your computer for long, then you will have to spend big. Here one can almost buy a mini solar with that and a little more. as far as i heard..

Anyways, I am still in favour of desktops , unless you need laptops for mobility. They give much more power and durability at the same money. so unless you only want to do simple office work / dtp and have other options for doing heavy lifting, then sure go for laptop. But I would want laptop to be able to run huge softwares locally and efficiently.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(08-08-2020, 01:06 PM)ikk157 Wrote: First off, you’ve mentioned that when equipment in the power grid goes down such that it can’t supply enough power to everyone at once, you end up “sharing” power by the system you just described of cutting power to certain zones at certain times of the day. While thats an absolute nightmare on the receiving end (your end), I personally find it quite smart. Why? Well, it’s actually quite a decent temporary solution of providing at least some power while their grid is getting fixed up... much better than keeping the power up 24/7 for unaffected zones while completely shutting the power down for affected zones until whatever failed is fixed. Sure, it’s a major disadvantage to those who aren’t directly affected by the failure as now their power is getting cut to provide power to those affected directly by the failure, but it’s also great to the latter. Sure it’s not a great solution, but it’s not half bad, better have power at certain times of the day rather than no power at all!
Thx @ikk157.  I agree.  At least we have power. But maybe it looks better than it really is. The part that is super frustrating for me personally is they don't keep to their schedules.  Like more as a rule than the exception.  For example, the schedule may say 8 to 10:30 a.m.  The electricity doesnt' go off at 8 a.m.  So one would think by 8:30 a.m. you're OK to use your computer, except then the power goes off at 10:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.  Totally unplanned.  So I've learned to wait until an actual loadshedding event takes place - ignoring schedules - and then to immediately after the power has come back on again - and only then - power on my computer.  Assuming that the next load shedding may take a few hours to occur.  The communication and implementation of the schedules are a nightmare for those depending on it.  So I've psyched myself to focus away from schedules and only work with when it happens.  Bottom line to NEVER have my computer equipment turned on when a load shedding event occurs.

Another BIG negative is that the WiFi Towers of the cellular and internet service providers can't always reload to the maximum until the next load shedding event.  So if this goes on for longer than three days, it effects both cell phones and internet use very negatively.  It also has a very bad effect on the battery supply of alarm systems - a real problem in South Africa with its huge crime.  You can't imagine the demand for new batteries and all of the load on security companies to install it.  Security is also at a risk as in many cases when the electricity turns back on, the alarm goes off creating false alerts for the security companies and owners to deal with.  

The load shedding is very tough on appliances - particularly older ones.  So many people have had to go to additional expenditure one can't really think about related to load shedding.  Also on top of Covid 19 when people have become very reliant on Internet this is a double whammy.

But you're right.  At least there is still electricity available.  Tongue

(08-08-2020, 01:06 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Also, dont you think it’s about time you sell your desktop pc and buy a laptop instead? I dont quite understand why you’re sticking with something that requires constant mains power to operate when laptops are a thing! Plus, with a laptop, you won’t have to go through the financial and general trouble of getting a UPS... since laptops have their own UPS known in the modern day and age as {drum roll} a battery! (Didn’t see that coming did you?  Wink ) It just makes zero sense to be dealing with a desktop pc while going through those persistent power outages. 
 You know, this is true.  I only discovered for the first time yesterday when I was writing my post and studying that one power alternative I posted, that a desktop computer takes four times as many Watts as a laptop. Wow!  

BUT - I don't only do Internet on my desktop.  I also watch TV programmes and movies.  I love my computer monitor.  I'm unemployed - so my desktop is being used much more than just a computer.  I did try to use my laptop (which I normally only use when I travel) during load shedding times, but the battery is old (2012 Toshiba), and wow, when I watch a movie it drains the battery like crazy.  So possibly not good for watching movies. Unless I get a new battery, which I should in any case.

But yes, it would have been nice to get something new.  I must say I miss the UAE where computers are so readily available at great prices and so many brands to pick from.  Or better yet going for a no brand computer put together in a boutique computer maintenance shop in a back alley out of the best of all parts at rock bottom prices.  I miss that very much.

That said, I do love my computer. I'm able to use it with cheap Bose speakers I purchased when I was in Canada last year with a beautiful sound and for me it will take a lot to get to change me to working on a laptop on a daily basis.

(08-08-2020, 01:06 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As for using UPSs as backup power (an inverter is just a device that changes a DC current to AC, it’s not the backup device thag stores the power for later use itself... but it just changes the Direct Current coming in from the batteries to Alternating current, which is what anything that plugs into the wall runs on), those aren’t that cheap at all. The one you linked wont be able to supply much power. You need something with significantly higher capacity to serve as a reliable backup during these outages, which doesn’t come cheap. Not to mention that batteries do wear out, so you’d see yourself spending more and more replacing them when they’ve been worn out past the state where they can be of any use anymore.
I understood the inverter device vs battery pack as you explained it, from the literature I found yesterday.  Like the cheap inverter plus power unit just givse you the opportunity to shut your computer down - so they are actually expensive.  Also pretty useless as you may not be around at home when the load shedding event occurs.  So the only type of "load shedding power unit" that would work would be one that is around 8000 US$ plus.  It then becomes a mill stone around your neck, as you have to take care of the batteries to keep them alive during extended periods when there is no load shedding.  I like to live minimally, like the minimum of furniture and appliances, and a unit like that could have the potential of turning into a white elephant - a very expensive one - that carries dust eventually.

(08-08-2020, 01:06 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Also, arent the issues with parts of the power grid failing eventually resolved and power goes back to being on 24/7? Or does no one bother fixing stuff there so the issue remains forever?
Nope.  It never will.  The load shedding has been around from 2008.  It was supposed to be for just a short while. It's become permanent and is getting worse.  However, last year again, they found a new super duper CEO to try and bale every one out.  He is of Dutch descent - de Ruyter.  And very straight.  Telling people as it is that it's going to take a long time before they have sorted out the power supply situation to meet the demand.  And of course when politics go south here, he may lose his job or resign out of frustration or exasperation.  It's been going on like that since 2008 with corrupt senior manager coming and going with scandals surrounding them and the lack of supply in the meanwhile becoming collateral damage and highly politicized.

After the apartheid Government was replaced around 1993, there was a very aggressive policy of replacing all white skilled personnel at the power stations (qualified and trained engineers) with non-white personnel whether trained or not, or whether skilled or not.  Right down from senior management level to apprentice level.  There used to be a great system before of apprentices trained through technical colleges on a 6-month training at college and 6-month training on the job apprentice system that was completely canned.  On the new management system, you found managers who were completely untrained - i.e. not engineers with no interest in electricity - running projects of which equipment that was purchased did not fit with the power station specs.  Lots of corruption took place with pilfering like when a member of family of a senior purchasing manager would start a company and then tender for products from companies who provide payments in exchange for providing products regardless of whether they were suitable for the machinery. And actually was responsible for damaging very expensive equipment. That was allowed to go on for 15 years until everything was worn out, there was no longer the ability to provide full supply and load shedding started in January 2008.  And then it was too late.  Most of the skilled people have been axed or left because it became too impossible to stay, and are now working on lucrative contracts in the Middle East, in Africa, and as far away as the Philippines.  You now have the power supply company become a shell of unskilled people who cannot be sacked because they are protected by a union who has threatened many times to sabotage the power stations if their people are touched.  Most of those people are unskilled. So billions of rand are going into salaries of human resources that are untrained and not contributing to the bottom line.  

Worse, some people aren't paying for their electricity.  They don't even have meters.  The practice started in 1993 and unfortunately now that the Government wants to get that to change, those used to not paying for electricity refuse to do that, and can also not be touched.  Then there is also the case of unfair pricing.  For example, electricity is supplied to a neighbouring country, Mozambique, at cheaper prices, politically, because of a terrorist (Islamic extremist) insurgence in the North of the country and trying to keep it going with electricity as it will be a risk to get those insurgents to take over the country.  I see that getting worse.
https://www.theafricareport.com/35435/mo...e-stopped/

What de Ruyter (the CEO of the power supply company) is now trying to do is getting the very large power stations "fixed", which sounds easy.  But those enormous giant kettles that typically come with a power station and have been damaged with faulty equipment or faulty low grade coal that is not suited for the station (lots of corrupt deals involved here as well), need to be imported from overseas - and Covid 19 happened.  So they still have to be purchased and installed by skilled engineers that will in all probability be supplied by the supplier at top dollar prices since there is a grave shortage of skilled engineers at the power stations.  In the meanwhile the power stations that are supplying the present demand may go down at any time as they are not ahead of maintenance.  There is no spare capacity to allow a station to go down for proper scheduled maintenance except for emergency repair.  Catch 22!

So you see, nothing is as "simple" and as straightforward in power supply as it is in the Middle East. But we still have electricity. Tongue
Terminal
I would like to tell OP that it is surely possible to store huge amounts of energy using batteries. Now that is chemical energy and they store surplas energy in huge battery assemblies and then convert it back to electric energy when needed...say to balance the grid or supply during higher demand peak hours. I heard that Elon musk company did such a huge battery store project for australia. Now I dont know If you can afford it. Many people here do use big batteries and inverters.

Now to deanhills,

You can use those low wattage low cost UPS even when you are away. Here is one solution. Just plug your router to the line power directly and set up a script in computer to shut down or hibernate when computer do not get any ping reply from that router for some time..sat 10 seconds. So what this means is when there is a power outage, the router will go down and you computer will get a clean shutdown even if you are not around within that 5 minutes of glorious backup time to shut it down yourself......

How do you like it ?
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(08-09-2020, 11:59 AM)deanhills Wrote: Thx @ikk157.  I agree.  At least we have power. But maybe it looks better than it really is. The part that is super frustrating for me personally is they don't keep to their schedules.  Like more as a rule than the exception.  For example, the schedule may say 8 to 10:30 a.m.  The electricity doesnt' go off at 8 a.m.  So one would think by 8:30 a.m. you're OK to use your computer, except then the power goes off at 10:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.  Totally unplanned.  So I've learned to wait until an actual loadshedding event takes place - ignoring schedules - and then to immediately after the power has come back on again - and only then - power on my computer.  Assuming that the next load shedding may take a few hours to occur.  The communication and implementation of the schedules are a nightmare for those depending on it.  So I've psyched myself to focus away from schedules and only work with when it happens.  Bottom line to NEVER have my computer equipment turned on when a load shedding event occurs.

Another BIG negative is that the WiFi Towers of the cellular and internet service providers can't always reload to the maximum until the next load shedding event.  So if this goes on for longer than three days, it effects both cell phones and internet use very negatively.  It also has a very bad effect on the battery supply of alarm systems - a real problem in South Africa with its huge crime.  You can't imagine the demand for new batteries and all of the load on security companies to install it.  Security is also at a risk as in many cases when the electricity turns back on, the alarm goes off creating false alerts for the security companies and owners to deal with.  

The load shedding is very tough on appliances - particularly older ones.  So many people have had to go to additional expenditure one can't really think about related to load shedding.  Also on top of Covid 19 when people have become very reliant on Internet this is a double whammy.

But you're right.  At least there is still electricity available.  Tongue

You know, this is true.  I only discovered for the first time yesterday when I was writing my post and studying that one power alternative I posted, that a desktop computer takes four times as many Watts as a laptop. Wow!  

BUT - I don't only do Internet on my desktop.  I also watch TV programmes and movies.  I love my computer monitor.  I'm unemployed - so my desktop is being used much more than just a computer.  I did try to use my laptop (which I normally only use when I travel) during load shedding times, but the battery is old (2012 Toshiba), and wow, when I watch a movie it drains the battery like crazy.  So possibly not good for watching movies.  Unless I get a new battery, which I should in any case.

But yes, it would have been nice to get something new.  I must say I miss the UAE where computers are so readily available at great prices and so many brands to pick from.  Or better yet going for a no brand computer put together in a boutique computer maintenance shop in a back alley out of the best of all parts at rock bottom prices.  I miss that very much.

That said, I do love my computer.  I'm able to use it with cheap Bose speakers I purchased when I was in Canada last year with a beautiful sound and for me it will take a lot to get to change me to working on a laptop on a daily basis.

I understood the inverter device vs battery pack as you explained it, from the literature I found yesterday.  Like the cheap inverter plus power unit just givse you the opportunity to shut your computer down - so they are actually expensive.  Also pretty useless as you may not be around at home when the load shedding event occurs.  So the only type of "load shedding power unit" that would work would be one that is around 8000 US$ plus.  It then becomes a mill stone around your neck, as you have to take care of the batteries to keep them alive during extended periods when there is no load shedding.  I like to live minimally, like the minimum of furniture and appliances, and a unit like that could have the potential of turning into a white elephant - a very expensive one - that carries dust eventually.

Nope.  It never will.  The load shedding has been around from 2008.  It was supposed to be for just a short while. It's become permanent and is getting worse.  However, last year again, they found a new super duper CEO to try and bale every one out.  He is of Dutch descent - de Ruyter.  And very straight.  Telling people as it is that it's going to take a long time before they have sorted out the power supply situation to meet the demand.  And of course when politics go south here, he may lose his job or resign out of frustration or exasperation.  It's been going on like that since 2008 with corrupt senior manager coming and going with scandals surrounding them and the lack of supply in the meanwhile becoming collateral damage and highly politicized.

After the apartheid Government was replaced around 1993, there was a very aggressive policy of replacing all white skilled personnel at the power stations (qualified and trained engineers) with non-white personnel whether trained or not, or whether skilled or not.  Right down from senior management level to apprentice level.  There used to be a great system before of apprentices trained through technical colleges on a 6-month training at college and 6-month training on the job apprentice system that was completely canned.  On the new management system, you found managers who were completely untrained - i.e. not engineers with no interest in electricity - running projects of which equipment that was purchased did not fit with the power station specs.  Lots of corruption took place with pilfering like when a member of family of a senior purchasing manager would start a company and then tender for products from companies who provide payments in exchange for providing products regardless of whether they were suitable for the machinery. And actually was responsible for damaging very expensive equipment. That was allowed to go on for 15 years until everything was worn out, there was no longer the ability to provide full supply and load shedding started in January 2008.  And then it was too late.  Most of the skilled people have been axed or left because it became too impossible to stay, and are now working on lucrative contracts in the Middle East, in Africa, and as far away as the Philippines.  You now have the power supply company become a shell of unskilled people who cannot be sacked because they are protected by a union who has threatened many times to sabotage the power stations if their people are touched.  Most of those people are unskilled. So billions of rand are going into salaries of human resources that are untrained and not contributing to the bottom line.  

Worse, some people aren't paying for their electricity.  They don't even have meters.  The practice started in 1993 and unfortunately now that the Government wants to get that to change, those used to not paying for electricity refuse to do that, and can also not be touched.  Then there is also the case of unfair pricing.  For example, electricity is supplied to a neighbouring country, Mozambique, at cheaper prices, politically, because of a terrorist (Islamic extremist) insurgence in the North of the country and trying to keep it going with electricity as it will be a risk to get those insurgents to take over the country.  I see that getting worse.
https://www.theafricareport.com/35435/mo...e-stopped/

What de Ruyter (the CEO of the power supply company) is now trying to do is getting the very large power stations "fixed", which sounds easy.  But those enormous giant kettles that typically come with a power station and have been damaged with faulty equipment or faulty low grade coal that is not suited for the station (lots of corrupt deals involved here as well), need to be imported from overseas - and Covid 19 happened.  So they still have to be purchased and installed by skilled engineers that will in all probability be supplied by the supplier at top dollar prices since there is a grave shortage of skilled engineers at the power stations.  In the meanwhile the power stations that are supplying the present demand may go down at any time as they are not ahead of maintenance.  There is no spare capacity to allow a station to go down for proper scheduled maintenance except for emergency repair.  Catch 22!

So you see, nothing is as "simple" and as straightforward in power supply as it is in the Middle East. But we still have electricity. Tongue

Wow wow wow, I’m absolutely speechless. It’s literally a true mess over there... so many issues colliding with each other constantly making matters worse. 

Ive heard from many of my South African colleagues that the system over there is insanely messed up. And the crime rates are insanely high. I’ve even been told that there’s a huge chance of getting shot on your way to/from the airport! That’s some true insanity! 

It’s truly sad that these issues are even impacting the most basic essentials, such as power. In the modern day an age where we heavily rely on electricity, we expect that we’d be provided with a reliable power source. It for sure does sound like a nightmare on your end not only when it comes to power outages, but the fact that they’re insanely unpredictable. 

As for replacing the battery on your old 2012 laptop, i dont think that would make a significant enough difference. Many laptops (specially the old ones) aren’t so power efficient. So even a healthy battery might not be able to power them for long. However, many (but not all! Beware!) modern laptops are so energy efficient they can last you an entire day, some even more! It solely depends on your budget, but i really recommend getting ahold of one (make sure to do your research first on getting one with great battery life and performance!). But again, it solely depends on your budget. You mentioned being unemployed, so I doubt that you’d have much to spend.

I also understand that you like to use your bigger monitor as it offers a much better experience. But keep on mind two things:

1) Some laptops come in screen sizes that are the same (some even bigger) as your “average monitor”. 

2) Most laptops have display outputs (such as HDMI) that allow you to hook them up to a monitor to get the full “desktop experience”. So that completely eliminates the point of a desktop. 

As for the pricing of electronic in general in the UAE, I’ve personally found it to be insanely expensive. Specially with their added VAT, I feel like buying electronics from there is very costly. If you want to buy something at its cheapest price, just buy it online from let’s say the US, and get it shipped to you through a courier service such as shopandship (they give you a US address, along with addresses from all over the world, where you have your bought item shipped to, and from there they’ll ship it to you... absolutely smart!).

The fact that you’d consider pricing of electronics in the UAE cheap really concerns me. That’s an indication that buying electronics in South Africa is significantly more expensive, i surely hope that’s not true. However, that’s also been something my South African colleagues hinted as they mentioned that they bought iPhones from here that are a fraction of the cost of an iPhone in South Africa. Insane!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
(08-09-2020, 07:14 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As for replacing the battery on your old 2012 laptop, i dont think that would make a significant enough difference. Many laptops (specially the old ones) aren’t so power efficient. So even a healthy battery might not be able to power them for long. However, many (but not all! Beware!) modern laptops are so energy efficient they can last you an entire day, some even more! It solely depends on your budget, but i really recommend getting ahold of one (make sure to do your research first on getting one with great battery life and performance!). But again, it solely depends on your budget. You mentioned being unemployed, so I doubt that you’d have much to spend.
 Thanks for this valuable feedback @ikk157  I'll take this down from my to do list.  You're right of course.  Even though it was a really great Toshiba, maybe still is - i7 with a fast processor, it's dated technology.  

(08-09-2020, 07:14 PM)ikk157 Wrote: I also understand that you like to use your bigger monitor as it offers a much better experience. But keep on mind two things:

1) Some laptops come in screen sizes that are the same (some even bigger) as your “average monitor”. 

2) Most laptops have display outputs (such as HDMI) that allow you to hook them up to a monitor to get the full “desktop experience”. So that completely eliminates the point of a desktop. 
I'm on the HDMI wavelength - in fact my TV is connected to an old tape recorder in that way - those hard disk LG DVD recorders that were discontinued a long time ago - I like to record movies with it.  The TV is also dated - a very good LG of its time - 2008 model, with only 1 HDMI slot but with a brilliant quality screen - albeit only 22 inches.  I did get an HDMI adapter that allows for 3 inputs, but have been too lazy so far, and during load shedding times it's useless anyway.  I'm also using my computer more for TV these days than my TV since reception via the Internet is much better than through cable and the monitor image much more improved on my Dell monitor.  I have a feeling that one day cable will be completely phased out.  Which would make my TV redundant anyway.  Hence why I haven't replaced it.  It's a non-essential outgoing piece of equipment.  I find the current large screen digital TVs are much too expensive and taking up too much space.

(08-09-2020, 07:14 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As for the pricing of electronic in general in the UAE, I’ve personally found it to be insanely expensive. Specially with their added VAT, I feel like buying electronics from there is very costly. If you want to buy something at its cheapest price, just buy it online from let’s say the US, and get it shipped to you through a courier service such as shopandship (they give you a US address, along with addresses from all over the world, where you have your bought item shipped to, and from there they’ll ship it to you... absolutely smart!).
Haha .... looks like I then left just in time.  The beginning of VAT just started to happen when I departed.  I must have lived there during the good times.

(08-09-2020, 07:14 PM)ikk157 Wrote: The fact that you’d consider pricing of electronics in the UAE cheap really concerns me. That’s an indication that buying electronics in South Africa is significantly more expensive, i surely hope that’s not true. However, that’s also been something my South African colleagues hinted as they mentioned that they bought iPhones from here that are a fraction of the cost of an iPhone in South Africa. Insane!
 This is a very true observation.  But mostly due to the state of the South African currency and ridiculous customs charges for importing products.  Like totally unreal.  Problem is those charges are based on rates of years ago when the currency differences were much much less, so on a sliding scale one is already in huge customs charge brackets for cheap products.  So there is that - the currency difference, then on top of it the very inefficient customs charges - so you don't find brand products in the same way as in the UAE and then of course huge shipping charges. Also, South Africa is situated very far from your big name suppliers of the world and some of them don't like to do business with South Africans because of the customs issues (products get stuck there because people can't afford some of the charges) and crime issue - digital fraud. On the positive side however, there are some top IT guys in South Africa who are designing and manufacturing their own products.  The products are expensive, but quality wise better quality than imported versions of the same price.  So that's an interesting learning curve as well.  One thing about South Africans is their ability to adapt and design their way out of problems with plenty of can-do enthusiasm and a sense of humour.  I'm waiting for plenty of products to design us out of the current load shedding dilemma given that the people have given up load shedding is ever going to stop one day - in fact is in all probability going to get much worse than it already is.  

BTW - what is your suggestion for a really good laptop when there are regular electricity downtime issues?  Haha ... let me guess what you are going to recommend.  Apple? MacBook Air? Tongue
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting