arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent Name Silo Transfer Experience!
I've just been through my first domain transfer experience and one I was certain was never going to work out.  What happened was that in 2014 I purchased two very cheap domains from a domain reseller.  At the time I'd just bought them for fun and wasn't serious to renew the domains, however in the end I did get to keep them and renewed them each year.  Everything went well until last year the domain reseller completely disappeared into smoke.  He vanished completely.  Fortunately my two domains were up to date with their renewal, however I needed to access them to change their name servers.  It took me almost three months to get access.  I wrote to the Registrar Compliance Department and after a very long while they provided me with a special link to manage my account - however transfers were disabled.  I think they were hoping I'd become a reseller myself - which I almost did when I thought that was going to be the only way to keep the domains.  So bottom line since I would have needed a code from the reseller to make a transfer happen, and there was no reseller or even support of the account I was accessing, I didn't think the transfers would be possible.

Then a few weeks ago when I had some time on my hands I decided to just try without the code and see where this takes me.  I then discovered in the client area dashboard of the old Registrar a "secret code" attached to each domain in the dashboard and wondered whether that could work as a code.  And woe behold, the secret codes did work in the end.  I only had one hickup at Name Silo with verification, and was blown away when I received an instant response and assistance from Name Silo Support after I'd asked for their help. For me that was a sign that the transfer was meant to be.

Within a very short time I received verification from both the client account I was using with the old Registrar and from Name Silo that the domains are in process of being transferred.  If there were no objections within 5 days, the transfer would be completed.  The whole process turned into effortless in the end and the two domains successfully transferred with almost no fuss.

I must say Name Silo is excellent with their transfer system and also have a very good "live" backup support system.  Best part of it all is that they automatically added an extra year to the domains after they had been transferred - I now have the two domains until 2020.  For me the transfer charge was almost like "free". I can really recommend Name Silo.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Wow. What a nice experience. They will be happy if they see your post XD.

I have similar problem with yours on "lost resellers". Yup, I have a domain given from someone here on giveaway he gave here.
It's on 1&1, and now, I seriously want to renew it and move it to somewhere.

As when he given away the domain, I only got the domain without 1&1 account. And you know what? Now, the account is suspended. I contacted him and he only said, he can't do anything. I contacted 1&1, they don't give me any help.

Can you all help me to move this domain to Namesilo too? Or just getting access to the domain and then move it to somewhere I want.
Thank you.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
Yours may be tricky.  The reseller was dicey but at least I had proof of genuine ownership.  If I were you I'd first try and get hold of the reseller and ask him for a transfer code or ask him to do the transfer for you.  If he is gone, try and trace the real ownership of the domain by Googling Tucows Whois.  Then check who you can write to on the compliance side of the Registrar - there has to be a support reference somewhere.  This is what I did with my domain.  I checked the registrar compliance support e-mail address.  It took a very long time for them to respond, but at least they then gave me direct access to the account - without transfer enabled on it, but at least it was a start.  Tell them you want to transfer your site so they can give you advice how to do it.  The advice I received from my Registrar before the transfer was to become a reseller - lol.  I almost did that, until on the reseller side when I subscribed they wanted me to deposit 35 US$ or something like that.  I then tried my luck to do the transfer myself with Name Silo and I think luck and Name Silo helped me.

Two important things to remember with the transfer is that you have to take the lock off the domain first and if you have private registration enabled you have to take that off too - like that would make sense for the verification process to succeed.  You also have to make sure that there is more than a month's registration left on the domain.  They won't allow you to transfer a domain in its last month or when it has expired.  If you are in your last month before expiry you have to renew the domain first, and then transfer it.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Wow awesome!
And about @tiwil you can cancel your domain and register it anywhere Big Grin
NameSilo is great, that's why some of my friends use it. For me I'd prefer to use OVH because their prices are fine, I got amir.ovh for €1 for the first year then €2.39 in the next years including VAT but as I am Egyptian so I am exempted from their VAT so I only pay €2 which is the cheapest domain renewal I've ever seen. Also they have DNSSEC on most of their domains and the best thing is the free whois privacy forever (even before GDPR it was free forever). About the nameserves thing I always prefer to use CloudFlare than custom DNS. Custom DNS makes you look like pro not everyone will visit your website gonna look at your nameservers. Also CloudFlare has much benefits for you (as user), first of them is the free SSL certificate with many levels of secure, also they support DNSSEC records so your website is safe, you also can add unlimited DNS records and the best part here is you can proxy them so if you don't wanna anyone to see the real IP of your website so this will do the mission (check amir.ovh for example), also they provide free CDN around the world (even in Cairo) so the content will load much faster than other sites, you can also do much things but I'd prefer to discover it yourself as it's 5 PM now. goodnight (or should I say good morning? NVM I'm gonna sleep XD).
(08-18-2018, 08:22 PM)youssefbasha Wrote: Wow awesome!
And about @tiwil you can cancel your domain and register it anywhere Big Grin

I decided to change my domain to local ccTLD, and if I decided to move again, will choose Namesilo of course. As P4V member keep recommending Namesilo XD.
@tiwil

That's very unfortunate, what happened to your domain. This is why I wouldn't take a domain even if it's free, unless it goes to my own account at registrar. It's a complete waste.

@deanhills

I'm glad you have found Namesillo is a good place to keep your domains. I used to be a big Godaddy fan but now I recommend Namesilo to everyone. I find it even better than NameCheap.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

@xdude,

Yup, I will never take any free domain again. Never. Got the lesson from this lol.
And, it's really nice domain that I got, I really love it. But ya, no need to worry la. I have better domain with local brand now.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
@tiwil

About the domain you have lost. If nobody back-order it (Im sure nobody will) then it will be released for public 3 month after expiry date. You can grab it if you want. For cheap price with a discount code.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(08-19-2018, 11:46 AM)xdude Wrote: @tiwil

About the domain you have lost. If nobody back-order it (Im sure nobody will) then it will be released for public 3 month after expiry date. You can grab it if you want. For cheap price with a discount code.

AFAIK, a month after renewal date then the domain will released back to public.
But, a month is really long. So it's really annoying. Then I decided to move to cover that and continue with my new domain.
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
10-26-2018, 06:02 AM
Last Post: sagher

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting