arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game servers restarting
@youssefbasha

With a very high level of probability I would say that you can certainly install the required software libssl in version 1.0.0 on CentOS 7 with the right software repositories that will contain the setup files or by using direct RPM files of the needed software. Another alternative would be to compile the libssl version 1.0.0 yourself for CentOS 7. By the way: did you know that libssl 1.0.0 is obsolete and very insecure? That is one of the reasons why it is never shipped in any of the modern and recent Linux distributions. It is grossly negligent to use outdated and insecure software especially in case of SSL (which has had many very seriousy security issues in the past).

The developers of SAMP don't seem to care much about security or aren't able to properly code and keep up to date with dependencies. There is a point in time where you simply have to stop to be "stuck" with old habits and start over with something new. And SSL security holes aren't a joke. Think about it. A lot of the security holes discovered in SSL would allow an attacker to take over the server or execute any code they want on it. Seems to be clear why SAMP development is dead. No one really cares... outdated as heck and insecure by design as it is using very old and insecure dependencies. I never understood why this game was so hyped and why every service that provided VPSs for free was flooded with people who only care about SAMP and nothing else.

One more reason to just leave my fingers far away from this.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(01-19-2020, 10:01 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: I thought that too at the first but as i said, i tried a clean server with default gamemode (grandlarc) and it crashed too..

PM me your OGP details and root, I'll look into it and will let you know.
Premium Web Hosting | ShadowCrypt | Manal Shaikh Official Website
If you find my post/thread useful, you're supposed to +rep me. 
there is 2 kind of crash on game server

first the game server software itself . if this does happen you can see the game log and find the cause of the crash . this mostly caused by unstable plugin or server software

and second is the game panel or container . this problem is probably with the ogp or the container like docker or kubernetes . you can see the log of the game panel or the container
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
Alright guys, i even tried Debian 9.4 and error seems to be still not fixed and happens again even on a clean server.
I really dont know whats wrong, im allowed to host game servers. Idk why they are crashing
(01-21-2020, 06:02 PM)youssefbasha Wrote: Alright guys, i even tried Debian 9.4 and error seems to be still not fixed and happens again even on a clean server.
I really dont know whats wrong, im allowed to host game servers. Idk why they are crashing

Are you still discussing a third party VPS, or is this for VPS 18?  If it is VPS 18, then we need to bring it to the attention of the sponsor straight away.   Possibly VPS 18 hasn't been ideally built for hosting games servers even though the sponsor has indicated it's OK for using the VPS for games servers. If VPS 18 games servers have been crashing, then that can also lead to results that aren't that good for the sponsor.  I.e. security issues and complaints from their Data Center.  So we need to pay attention to this problem immediately.

Can we ask @"Hidden Refuge" (if and when he has time available to do so) to check VPS 18 out particularly from the view point of the feasibility of hosting games servers on it?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I already said "VPS Name: VPS18"
Yes, thats the vps i got from p4v. @deanhills
@Manal the requested information sent in a pm.
(01-22-2020, 11:09 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: I already said "VPS Name: VPS18"
Yes, thats the vps i got from p4v. @deanhills
@Manal the requested information sent in a pm.
@youssefbasha.  I was unaware that you were discussing VPS18. Now we have confirmed this please don't send information of the VPS to another sponsor.  The sponsor of VPS 18 is Hostlease (@Pacific Spirit or @FlutterBlast), and we should get their permission first before you send details of your VPS to another sponsor.  Sort of makes sense doesn't it?  

Also be careful how you proceed now because if you don't look at this warning carefully, your VPS may be suspended. We regard the crashing of games servers not as good news.  It needs to be investigated by either post4vps or Hostlease or both before we proceed further.  Particularly in light of @"Hidden Refuge"'s cautionary post above and especially the cuationary statement about security issues of SAMP servers (quoted below):

Hidden Refuge Wrote:The developers of SAMP don't seem to care much about security or aren't able to properly code and keep up to date with dependencies. There is a point in time where you simply have to stop to be "stuck" with old habits and start over with something new. And SSL security holes aren't a joke. Think about it. A lot of the security holes discovered in SSL would allow an attacker to take over the server or execute any code they want on it. Seems to be clear why SAMP development is dead. No one really cares... outdated as heck and insecure by design as it is using very old and insecure dependencies. I never understood why this game was so hyped and why every service that provided VPSs for free was flooded with people who only care about SAMP and nothing else.

Regarding the crashing of the games servers.  It will be very helpful if you let us know exactly what games servers they are, what software you have been loading and what the version number is of the software.  A step by step of exactly what you've been doing.

Since we're getting at a delicate stage of this discussion I'm moving this thread to private VPS support forum.
Terminal
@youssefbasha is hosting OpenGamePanel (a free game server control panel) and a Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer (a.k.a SAMP, also free) game server through OpenGamePanel on the VPS. He also actually mentioned that this is about his VPS 18 in the OP post. He described the issue there and what he is hosting there, too. He has already tried a few suggested things including downgrading the OS to a previous version.

As I mentioned in my posts already I really don't have a clue. I have no experience with OGP or/and SAMP. Nor do I have any interest in any of the two. So I'm not really much of a help here. I don't have much time since my normal job started again and my vacation ended to deal with game servers or even in general gaming.

Especially if there is no error to work with when the server is crashing. The only error that @youssefbasha received was related to code of the SAMP server and its HTTP/HTTPS component. I linked to resources regarding that on the official SAMP page. Nothing more I can do. It may cause the crash but there is no real way to test it for me. If the error occures on every server crash... in that case the chance that it is causing the crash is increased. However I have no idea how you can reproduce it yourself to test it. Unless there is a serious issues with the code of the SAMP server I cannot see how a bad HTTP response can crash a game server that is not based on HTTP/HTTPS protocol to begin with. I don't even know what for the HTTP/HTTPS component is used in the SAMP game server. It could be something as easy as checking for a new server version or something else but also maybe something more complex. I don't like poking around in the dark.

To be honest I don't think that our support forum is suitable to solve such issues. Especially not in the private forum unless any of the staff here is actually a SAMP pro and knows it all (or is a experienced user/developer for it). This isn't the OGP or SAMP support forum. If there are issues related to the OS and its components we can work on that but as soon as it touches something related to a certain software and there is no clear error log or reproduction way there is not much we can do in general as we're not the developers of the software. And always remember that the VPSs are unmanaged products. Such issues are a subject where the provider can simply outright say "No. This is your stuff and you're responsible for it".

I see no real way to test if the VPS is "compatible" with game servers. If there is no network protection in place that would block UDP game server traffic or possibly cause connection issues on UDP (or any other network issues) and there provider is not employing any software or scripts to detect game servers and kill them... Well, any VPS should work just fine to host a game server if it is allowed per ToS/AUP.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(01-22-2020, 01:42 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: @youssefbasha is hosting OpenGamePanel (a free game server control panel) and a Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer (a.k.a SAMP, also free) game server through OpenGamePanel on the VPS. He also actually mentioned that this is about his VPS 18 in the OP post. He described the issue there and what he is hosting there, too. He has already tried a few suggested things including downgrading the OS to a previous version.
 Thank you for providing this summary @"Hidden Refuge".  With respect how come some of our sponsors don't allow games servers on their VPSs?  Or make it as difficult as they can for users to run games servers on their VPSs?  I'm not a games expert at all, however it would make sense if someone (like Gigarocket for example) chooses to make a rule against games servers that this has to do with the additional security that is required in order to protect the VPS with the added burden that the VPS has to take.  It uses more resources, it is vulnerable for more security threats and abuse.  Just by the very nature of multiple users being involved.  VPS 8 here is a very good example.  The sponsor has a zero abuse policy in place.  And he cringes when he hears a VPS user is sharing VPS 8 with others.  

(01-22-2020, 01:42 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: As I mentioned in my posts already I really don't have a clue. I have no experience with OGP or/and SAMP. Nor do I have any interest in any of the two. So I'm not really much of a help here. I don't have much time since my normal job started again and my vacation ended to deal with game servers or even in general gaming.
OK understood and appreciated.  

(01-22-2020, 01:42 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Especially if there is no error to work with when the server is crashing. The only error that @youssefbasha received was related to code of the SAMP server and its HTTP/HTTPS component. I linked to resources regarding that on the official SAMP page. Nothing more I can do. It may cause the crash but there is no real way to test it for me. If the error occures on every server crash... in that case the chance that it is causing the crash is increased. However I have no idea how you can reproduce it yourself to test it. Unless there is a serious issues with the code of the SAMP server I cannot see how a bad HTTP response can crash a game server that is not based on HTTP/HTTPS protocol to begin with. I don't even know what for the HTTP/HTTPS component is used in the SAMP game server. It could be something as easy as checking for a new server version or something else but also maybe something more complex. I don't like poking around in the dark.
 The little bit I came to understand during the discussion this is old software.  Or do I have that wrong?  Manal for example mentioned he was using it a long time ago.  So could it be the more up to date OS is causing errors?  Like it may work if an OS version is used that is more compatible with SAMP, maybe Debian 8 or earlier or CentOS 6 even?

(01-22-2020, 01:42 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: To be honest I don't think that our support forum is suitable to solve such issues. Especially not in the private forum unless any of the staff here is actually a SAMP pro and knows it all (or is a experienced user/developer for it). This isn't the OGP or SAMP support forum. If there are issues related to the OS and its components we can work on that but as soon as it touches something related to a certain software and there is no clear error log or reproduction way there is not much we can do in general as we're not the developers of the software. And always remember that the VPSs are unmanaged products. Such issues are a subject where the provider can simply outright say "No. This is your stuff and you're responsible for it".

I see no real way to test if the VPS is "compatible" with game servers. If there is no network protection in place that would block UDP game server traffic or possibly cause connection issues on UDP (or any other network issues) and there provider is not employing any software or scripts to detect game servers and kill them... Well, any VPS should work just fine to host a game server if it is allowed per ToS/AUP.
Well we're obviously not in an ideal world here.  My main concern is security of the sponsor's VPS that is currently in jeopardy following complaints that have been received from its Datacentre.  There isn't much room to experiment here.  So we're not asking for a scientific answer.  The little I know however is that most experienced Games Server hosts (Lampard would probably be able to say more about this) have additional software on their servers to protect them from abuse that may come from the additional exposure and resource use a games server is subjected to.  So the sponsor should be able to say whether there is sufficient controls and checks in place for the VPS to be able to be used as a games server.  But yes, we do have a member who is very experienced in games servers, so possibly we need to ask him for his input.  Thanks for your input @"Hidden Refuge"
Terminal
On which OS version have you tried to run the game servers where you running stuck with. Details me this please so I can take action for it.
lockThread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting