arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Historic] Rare & bizzare media types
Hello and welcome!

Welcome to a historic topic about rare and bizzare media types from very long ago until today. Using this thread I'd like to introduce a great Youtube channel to you and also teach you a bit (well, not me but rather the Youtuber) about the history of media and storage types from the past. Enjoy 108 rare and bizzare media types brought to you by "The 8-Bit Guy". You will surely recognize (I hope) at least a few of the media types that are basically predecessors of media types still used today (although even they start to get rare). A few are predecessors of currently widespread media types such as Bluray discs or LTO media tapes used for data backups.

The 8-Bit Guy Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8uT9cg...u7ITLGo9Ww

If you like the video leave a like on the channel and maybe subscribe. Check out all the other great oldschool technology videos about hardware and software by The 8-Bit Guy.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Those are very informative, first time seeing punch cards and punch tapes, I hadn't tried to search for those while I heard the lecture from our teacher. Between still I can't stop wondering at how this data is stored in those punch cards and the machine reads it. How encoding happens etc. Anyways human beings are great creatures. Big Grin

Thank you  Sweet

I am also the one with these kind of magnetic carbon tapes used for recording e.g. video tape, audio tape, Floppy disk, 100zip etc .. you surprised to know i still have many stock of these tapes. my kids ask whenever they seen. "what is this papa"
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
It is great to see lot of format . It encourage competition .but unfortunately most of them are fail and making those fail media rare today

some of them are even unknown . Or doesnt have any documentation due to rarity,failure in market or extrsmely niche use cases
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
The most interesting media types for me have been all the extremely huge storage media types like the very big floppy discs or cassettes. The size of these is just absolutely insane but the storage that they had was still very little compared to the size and their successors. Nowadays a micro SD card can store up to 1 TB of data and it is so small... the differences are simply astronomic.

Another great thing were the tiny versions of media types like tiny cassettes or discs that could store as much as their big brothers. It is sad to see that actually most of this small ones never really got proper traction in the consumer market. I have seen these small storage media types being used in the professional market though like lawyers using tiny cassettes to record what they say so that they can replay the recordings later to write notes and letters. Well, at least the tiny discs were used greatly for portable gaming handhelds like the PSP/PS Vita.

A lot of cool things that I have never seen before or even known about.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
I remember 8cm DVD + r were used only a decade ago. now i don't see them much anymore. With new DVD releases still coming DVDs are still alive,but in a few years that could change
(06-28-2020, 03:22 PM)noahthewindowsguy Wrote: I remember 8cm DVD + r were used only a decade ago. now i don't see them much anymore. With new DVD releases still coming DVDs are still alive,but in a few years that could change

it is already changed now . dvd is mainly used in pc and dvd player and both of them doesnt use it anymore or it get replaced

new pc doesnt have any dvd rom . even my pc that is old . i dont bother plugging the dvd rom because it is unnececary . people are moving to flashdisk for os reinstall and cloud storage for storing file or backup

and dvd player mostly doesnt exist . it is replace with blu ray but blu ray itself isnt selling much and most people prefer streaming service like netflix or hulu
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
According to me one of the most bizzare media tape is the GIANT FLOPPY DISK, it was so huge but also so small regarding storage. To read such floppies you needed a device larger then a CD reader!

If we must see what the future will have, I think some universities are working on a sort of DNA "hard disk", nothing is ready but they are working on it!
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
I never seen this video since in India the history moments mainly base of characters ,wars, as many may know mahabaraht war which was more powerful fight then nuclear bombs world wars lord vishu powers were extreme and greater then nuclear power the weapons used in mahabarat weapons equals to nuclear bombs see below some videos
https://youtu.be/zyO7ZqRfzuI
thank you post4vps and  racknerd for wonderful vps3  Heart

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting