arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Host Your Own WP Blog (Debian 10, Nginx, PHP 8 & MariaDB)
(05-21-2021, 03:46 PM)Mashiro Wrote: Why? Did you read the introduction part of this guide? Seems like you didn't. The point is to teach people who are afraid of the CLI how to use it properly and use this kind of setup as a learning project for them. It originated from a request by @deanhills.

I made a thread about how to install Docker with Portainer. In there it would be literally a few clicks to install a Wordpress Docker container. What do you learn though? Nothing at all. You don't set up any web server, database server and etc. Learning how to install Docker and get a container running is very easy compared to set up your own web server, PHP and database stack to host your own application.

You are right, this guide aims to give all the knowledge needed to set up WP from scratch using CLI commands and building up the enviroment. 

But what I wanted to say is that you could use a pre-made containers, that as you said will not give you much of knowledge, or you could set up a generic alpine-debian-whatvever container and perform this guide inside the container. 

The container will not be optimal because no persistent volumes are set up but it is far more secure than running WP on "barehardware". WP isn't the most secure CMS out there and getting a code injection is easy enought if you use "anonymous" extensions or if a new CVE is discovered inside the WP-core.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
The goal of this guide at the request of @deanhills has been fulfilled as far as I can see.

So why do you not make the guide you are talking about to teach us? @LightDestory Wink
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(05-21-2021, 03:46 PM)Mashiro Wrote: Why? Did you read the introduction part of this guide? Seems like you didn't. The point is to teach people who are afraid of the CLI how to use it properly and use this kind of setup as a learning project for them. It originated from a request by @deanhills.

I made a thread about how to install Docker with Portainer. In there it would be literally a few clicks to install a Wordpress Docker container. What do you learn though? Nothing at all. You don't set up any web server, database server and etc. Learning how to install Docker and get a container running is very easy compared to set up your own web server, PHP and database stack to host your own application.

Agreed @Mashiro.  I also think command line installation is an important learning curve before one moves to a container, as it's not just a matter of creating WordPress from the command line.  There is so much background knowledge in this tutorial that prepares one for Docker at a later stage.  I learned much more than just setting up LEMP with WordPress. This may be excellent preparation for getting stuck in with Docker later on.

I didn't have any expectation of a tutorial, but when you created one, you were so much on the mark with what was needed.  I worked through the tutorial again today - there is just enough in the tutorial to make it brilliant in its simplicity.  There is so much more I learned than just installing WP from the command line.  For starters adding 3rd party repositories, how to create a folder tree for a Web Server.  Nginx .conf default permissions - new file.  Etc. etc.  All of it so simple, but at the same time great learning blocks for future reference.

If I may ask.  And only if you have time.  Do you think it's possible to expand your tutorial to include setup of phpmyadmin.

I remember from freevps.us days that you're not in favour of URL browser access to phpmyadmin.  Is there a secure way that one can set it up as an extension of this tutorial?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Thats what i wanted from a long time since i am using Apache from a long and i am used to it and i can host sites from command line if i want to host with apache but i wanted to move to nignix and i had no clue how to do it but this guide will help me to host my site with nignix.

The guide is detailed and neat so easy to understand for people like me whom get serious issues in understanding some guides.
(05-21-2021, 02:59 PM)LightDestory Wrote: Your guide is awesome... but I have a question: why not use docker?

To avoid repeating myself, read the quote below:
(09-27-2020, 06:19 AM)fChk Wrote: @fitkoh

Yesterday, when I read your OP, I confess that I had at least 3 objections by the time I finished reading it. The most obvious (ie running Docker on an OVZ VPS) has been addressed in my previous post. But there are 2 others that I've left out because they relate to the use of Docker itself inside a VPS! Thus, it's  more of a 'philosophical' thing than anything else.

I've been using Docker since it gained traction in 2015/16 and I've developed a practical sense of when it should be used from when it should not (mostly because it's more of a waste of resources, because of the overhead.)

When you deploy your services via Docker on your VPS you consume more resources than it's necessary for those same services to be deployed natively/directly on your VPS, and that only make sense if you're just experimenting with Docker and are willing to incur that penalty OR if you already stack your services as a set of docker images that you migrate from place to place for deployment, of course at the price of that said penalty.

It's for this latter reason -portability- why Docker make more sense in the Cloud environment than in a VPS; and this is why most PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) make use of them via various Orchestration mechanisms.

The second objection is the use of a control panel for Docker!! but this is personal and has to do with my bigger objection to Control Panels (CP) in general.

(........)

Thus, it's cool to run containers but inside a VPS it's a waste of resources.

(05-21-2021, 02:59 PM)LightDestory Wrote: I think that nowadays due to code injection issue and WP security-level it is safer to run in inside a container to protect your machine from attacks. For example, lately a CVE on Laravel component allowed some idiots to inject a crypto miner into my friend machine. I had a very hard time tracking it down. It if were a container I could just destroy and re-create without losing data.... if you set up persistent volumes on your environment.
Docker containers are not as safe as you think they are!.. Docker engine runs as root, Docker containers might have root privileges if security measures aren't enforced at the containers levels. You can use Podman which runs rootless containers instead...

I will review your thread next week to see how you're doing on that front!..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting