arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hosting your own Netflix?
Video 
How many of you are hosting their own Netflix at home or on a remote server? What software do you use for this?

I currently host my own Plex server at home using a Intel NUC with a quad core i3 8th gen, 4 GB RAM and a Intel Iris Pro GPU. I connected a 480 GB SSD to it that holds the content I want to watch like movies, TV shows and similar. Everything is connected over 1 Gbit/s connections at home. The speed to the outside is however only 7 Mbit/s upstream. I opened the Plex remote port and can access my server outside of my home.

Plex is not so great though. It requires a premium pass for some basic feature that every streaming server should have by default. I'm thinking to move to the fully free Jellyfin alternative.

Plex mobile app looks like this:
[Image: kLEbyYflZv.png]

Share you setups.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@Hidden Refuge you describe me a new era. wow! can i run it on my VPS-9? please give us complete tutorial to make own Netflix. i really appreciate it.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
Despite of the "premium pass" drawbacks I would recommend Plex or Emby. I tried Jellyfin a second time yesterday and it's far from being a finished and proper alternative to Plex or Emby. The interface is weird and so is the mobile app. It doesn't seem to support direct playback for some reason as it would automatically transcode a 1080p 6 Mbps video to 1080p 60 Mbps on a device that can play 1080p fine at its normal bitrate. My NUC started to sound like a yet when I realized that Jellyfin started to transcode the test video I played on my phone. Plex and Emby are much better at this.

@sagher

Plex is available for Windows, Linux (including ARM), FreeBSD, Mac OS, NAS devices and even some powerful routers.

Here are a few guides for various Linux distributions:
- https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/install...untu-18-04
- https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install...-debian-9/
- https://www.linode.com/docs/applications...-centos-7/

It's not really hard to setup and use.

I use it on Windows on the Intel NUC.

Edit: Just to make it clear. A Plex account is generally free! Some features are premium only though. If you don't mind not being able to use the mobile app without premium then you will most likely have no issue. The other premium features are more or less deluxe stuff that one might not really need. You can even share your library with friends for streaming if your upload is fast enough.
I am sorry for being a dumb person in this discussion, but I did not quite understand what you meant by hosting your own Netflix. Netflix's contents are owned by them and we can only download them from the app, is that what you're doing? In that case, the server would need alot of hard drive space to download the seasons?
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
@Honey

This topic is about hosting your own Netflix like video streaming service either on a server or simply on a machine at home. You can use applications and servers for such purpose like Plex, Emby or Jellyfin.

You need to bring your own video content obviously.
@youssefbasha

Read my post above yours?

It's about creating your own Netflix like streaming service for yourself to watch stuff. You can host it on a VPS or even at home.

You bring the content you want to watch yourself from whatever sources you have.
(07-26-2019, 07:37 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: @Honey

This topic is about hosting your own Netflix like video streaming service either on a server or simply on a machine at home. You can use applications and servers for such purpose like Plex, Emby or Jellyfin.

You need to bring your own video content obviously.

I think he means that he is hosting his own content on his own server for themself/others use. Think of it as a private Netflix.
Thank you Post4VPS and BladeNode for VPS 6
(08-22-2019, 12:52 PM)Rzarcasm Wrote: I think he means that he is hosting his own content on his own server for themself/others use. Think of it as a private Netflix.

Reading his reply again after you comment.

It actually sounds like he is talking about operating a illegal streaming site. That's absolutely not what I meant. I also didn't mean a file sharing site to share the videos.

I really mean a private Netflix like service using Plex, Emby or other similar software (I guess even Kodi with a network storage to the video files works).

So if he implies piracy: this is not what I mean. How the video material is obtained is not subject of this thread.
Honestly the Premium Pass is worth it, I am running Plex on my MacPro G5 Hackintosh rebuild and it is worth it. There are not very many free services that provide the support, updates and uptime that Plex is offering. I played with Emby before settling on Plex and using that full time and it seemed that it was always crashing and my videos were streaming in garbage quality. Good luck and hopefully this helps the decision.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
that is a amazing idea. its strange i never heard of it, so let me understand it. you upload to your netflix server a videos. using the app to connect it. and watching and streaming whatever you want and the only thing you need is port forwarding? wow i like that but i am also suprised again i never heard of it. i think its good for people who dont have netflix or want to watch movies that they dont have on netflix or kodi or popcorn time. i wonder if this hard work worth it...
Thank you Post4vps and BladeNode for vps 6!!!
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting