arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you do the backup of your devices and how regularly do you do it?
I'm interested in Members' way of backing up their data.  On their computers, laptops, tablets, smart phones or any other devices.  How do you back up your data and how often do you do your backups? How do you maintain your backups?

I have an unconventional probably not as efficient way of backing up my data, but it has worked for me for a long while now.  I do backups sporadically, like every few months or so. For important information that I never want to lose, like logins etc and special files, I have a system of copying them to external disks on an ongoing basis. I also have a note book with me at my computer where I jot down important information and copy and paste info to PM drafts in some of my Forum accounts. However for all other materials I do a Windows backup to an external hard disk every third month or so.  I keep the external hard disk in a different place to where my computer is. In addition to the Windows backup to a hard disk, I also copy all of the individual data folders of my computer to a second external hard disk. I also copy some of the core folders that are very valuable to me to a second flash disk in case of emergency that I can carry in a pocket with me.  So in essence I'm using two external hard disks, a 64 GB flash disk, a note book and draft PMs.  I don't have that much data to back up though.  All of my videos and images are kept permanently on external disks.  As I only have 500GB storage space on my computer. I prefer to occupy less space as I've always had the belief, rightly or wrongly, that the more space available on the computer, the faster it will operate. I'm only using 300GB out of 500GB space. 

I do have cloud for backups available, but rarely use it.  I realize one can't trust anything including Windows backups, but I'm still skeptical of cloud storage and have more trust in my external hard disks.  I only use cloud clients like Mega.nz when I transfer bulk files to someone else of a size that can't be sent in an e-mail.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Let the engine work!

For on VPS!
I only need to install rclone and make a Backup Folder and mount it to Alika-Senpai's server storage or to Google Drive!

Then make a script that lists the commands that must be run every 12 hours by systemd!

It's different if the process is on my personal computer!
I just need to create a virtual Disk by connecting to Alika's storage server via FTP!
And letting the server do its job of synchronizing to Google Drive!
Terminal
Solo Developer
(05-09-2020, 03:54 PM)deanhills Wrote: I'm interested in Members' way of backing up their data.  On their computers, laptops, tablets, smart phones or any other devices.  How do you back up your data and how often do you do your backups?  How do you maintain your backups?

I have an unconventional probably not as efficient way of backing up my data, but it has worked for me for a long while now.  I do backups sporadically, like every few months or so. For important information that I never want to lose, like logins etc and special files, I have a system of copying them to external disks on an ongoing basis. I also have a note book with me at my computer where I jot down important information and copy and paste info to PM drafts in some of my Forum accounts. However for all other materials I do a Windows backup to an external hard disk every third month or so.  I keep the external hard disk in a different place to where my computer is. In addition to the Windows backup to a hard disk, I also copy all of the individual data folders of my computer to a second external hard disk. I also copy some of the core folders that are very valuable to me to a second flash disk in case of emergency that I can carry in a pocket with me.  So in essence I'm using two external hard disks, a 64 GB flash disk, a note book and draft PMs.  I don't have that much data to back up though.  All of my videos and images are kept permanently on external disks.  As I only have 500GB storage space on my computer. I prefer to occupy less space as I've always had the belief, rightly or wrongly, that the more space available on the computer, the faster it will operate. I'm only using 300GB out of 500GB space. 

I do have cloud for backups available, but rarely use it.  I realize one can't trust anything including Windows backups, but I'm still skeptical of cloud storage and have more trust in my external hard disks.  I only use cloud clients like Mega.nz when I transfer bulk files to someone else of a size that can't be sent in an e-mail.

For me it really depends from device to device:

For all of my Apple devices:

I simply use iCloud backups which occur automatically. And iCloud storage isn’t an issue since I have the 2TB plan which is $9.99/mo (luckily, I can buy iTunes gift cards here... so no credit card needed!)

For my PlayStation 4 (PS4):

I have a playstation plus subscription (again, I use gift cards so no credit card is needed... I have the annual plan which is $60/year).

And one of the perks of ps plus is automatic online backups of your save games! So in case of any data loss, you just need to re-download the game (no, I don’t use CDs... not a fan of those) and simply re-download your save games from ps plus.

For my VPS:

I simply take a zip backup of anything important and upload it to iCloud.

For my laptop:

I don’t take any backups on it simply because there’s nothing important on it... I never use it for any of my daily tasks... the only thing I use it for is if I come across a windows-only program which i need to use. Otherwise, my iOS/iPadOS devices are what I use for everything.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@deanhills

Your strategy is as sound as Gold!.. Off-grid backup is a time-tested method that never fails. Just regularly test the health of your backup disks, just in case!

Online-backup is okay too for non-private data, or in heavily encrypted files.. I know that I don't need to tell you to never trust them with your private data :-)

@chanalku91

What's "Alika-Senpai's server storage" ?.. Public/private online storage provider?..
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(05-09-2020, 11:55 PM)fChk Wrote: @deanhills

Your strategy is as sound as Gold!.. Off-grid backup is a time-tested method that never fails. Just regularly test the health of your backup disks, just in case!

Online-backup is okay too for non-private data, or in heavily encrypted files.. I know that I don't need to tell you to never trust them with your private data :-)

@chanalku91

What's "Alika-Senpai's server storage" ?.. Public/private online storage provider?..

It is Alika's private storage server, provided for family needs!
Terminal
Solo Developer
I've never backup my phone. Or actually I did but only when I moved from my old to a newer phone. Otherwise, I never back up my phone. The reason is limited bandwidth from my ISP, sucks. Hahaha. There might be some important thing that I should back up, if I do remember to back up those then I do, otherwise, I don't.

Anyway, when the first time I back up my phone, I only backup messaging applications like Whatsapp and LINE. For personal data I only move that to my laptop and see if I need it in the future. But, after moving that data to the laptop, I've never move it back to my phone. Hahaha. Too lazy to do that.

Anyway, I would recommend Google Drive to backup your data for safety.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
Most of the time, I use rsync or scp to backup my files across different computers, VPSes or devices.

I don't do it regularly, though.

Because I only do backups when I have important files that I really need to protect. Smile

As far as I'm concerned, till a few months ago I was extremely lazy, and not at all regular at taking backups just like you. But well, an incident of an outage on my PC took place about 4 months ago, in which the hard disk got completely corrupted and ... I lost all those important scripts and other stuff of mine, which I'd never bothered to backup.

Thereafter, I'm extremely sceptical about backups. For the VPSes, U've written a few shell scripts, which mostly do the work of archiving and placing at a publicly reachable URL from there another script downloads it and uploads to GDrive, replacing the previous backup to take care of storage. All these scripts are driven by cron jobs, once a day. Smile

On my PC, I do all the work myself. Most of my applications and scripts are stored on GDrive whereas documents are stored on OneDrive.

The same goes for my mobile, since I'm mostly on my mobile I've quite a bit of important data here, which gets uploaded to GDrive manually.

The disk corruption made me realized the value of losing all your important stuff and having to rewrite them again, and the importance of backing up stuff. Truly this is a good habit. Big Grin

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(05-15-2020, 10:20 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, till a few months ago I was extremely lazy, and not at all regular at taking backups just like you. But well, an incident of an outage on my PC took place about 4 months ago, in which the hard disk got completely corrupted and ... I lost all those important scripts and other stuff of mine, which I'd never bothered to backup.

Thereafter, I'm extremely sceptical about backups. For the VPSes, U've written a few shell scripts, which mostly do the work of archiving and placing at a publicly reachable URL from there another script downloads it and uploads to GDrive, replacing the previous backup to take care of storage. All these scripts are driven by cron jobs, once a day. Smile

On my PC, I do all the work myself. Most of my applications and scripts are stored on GDrive whereas documents are stored on OneDrive.

The same goes for my mobile, since I'm mostly on my mobile I've quite a bit of important data here, which gets uploaded to GDrive manually.

The disk corruption made me realized the value of losing all your important stuff and having to rewrite them again, and the importance of backing up stuff. Truly this is a good habit. Big Grin

Regards,

Unfortunately nowadays, many people are oblivious to the importance of taking backups. It takes them a failure followed by data loss involving important data before they “learn their lesson”. Sort off what happened to you! (P.s. I recommend a data recovery service if your lost data is extremely important)

The simplest form of taking backups requires zero experience. It’s, {drum roll}, backing your stuff up to an external usb drive!

And not only is this a cheap (cheap because you pay for the external drive once instead of an irritating subscription) and easy way to take backups, but it also applies to almost all systems! Even VPSs! (By downloading the files and storing them on the USB drive)

Not to mention that large capacity drives nowadays are super cheap and won’t break the bank!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157 Yeah agreed. Myself being one until of late. Tongue

To be honest, I trust Google Drive and OneDrive more than a USB backup although that would be the easiest. However, I've my reasons for it. I'm sorta careless guy, and I've gotten my hands off a couple USBs till now, one of them being my teacher's Tongue.

Hence, for me, it's better to use a could storage service than a piece of hardware.

As for the data recovery service, I'm not at all a hardware guy, so didn't really know how should I've gone about recovering the hard disk. However, I'd taken that to a shop, and well the person out there confirmed that my data couldn't be recovered by any means.

Honestly, the hard disk didn't store any "very important" stuff, but that applied only to my Dad. As for me, there were a number of things like logos, scripts and even the full backend of a registration system which was lost forever and I'd to rewrite those stuff again, from scratch. Sad
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting