arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to create keyless entry with FileZilla
Tonight I had an interesting experience. After I had created a keyless access with my HostUS VPS I had disabled the login for the account.  So tonight when I tried to use my FileZilla SFTP it didn't want to work.  Login with root had been disabled.  lol ..... !

Any way.  My first solution was to use Softaculous and I found a nice file manager there.  Which I'm going to keep to play with.  I first experimented with it, then made it so that it was only enabled for one of the Websites (to play with), with a non admin user name and a HUGE random password.

The File Manager however doesn't really work as an FTP client.  I'm sure there would have been one in Softaculous but for me that would then have defeated the objective of secure access.  So went back to FileZilla and found the following VERY EASY steps to get my keyless entry for my HostUS VPS to also work with FileZilla.

1. First navigate to "Settings" in your FileZilla Menu.  It's listed under "Edit" in the menu - second from the left. Settings is third from the top in Edit.
2. Then click on "SFTP" in the left column and FileZilla will then prompt you to upload your Key.  I uploaded the Private Key file I had created with PuTTy.

I don't know how this is going to affect my other VPS access.  But logically I think it will be OK.  FileZilla was looking for my key when I tried to get in with SFTP and couldn't find it.  So it was a simple matter of just uploading it so it can identify with it.  If the login isn't blocked, hopefully it will only look for the password then.

OK checked my other VPS and it's OK. Feel really much safer already with my HostUS Filezilla FTP key.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting