arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is CentOS still a choice?
As some who use both Managed and Un-Managed servers, I would use CentOS till it becomes a problem or till providers stop providing it. I think it's a little too early to decide. I have used Ubuntu before and I didn't have a problem with its regular updates. It worked quite well with VirtualMin since you to get all upgrades on GUI and update when you want. Maybe CentOS upstream is not bad as it looks.

cPanel uses it and I don't think they will be jumping to a different OS overnight. They clearly say they won't be supporting CentOS Upstream. CentOS 8 will be supported till 2029. Also, they are going to Rollout Ubuntu-based cPanel version by end of this year. They will support the fork of RHEL 8 and CloudLinux OS 8.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(04-09-2021, 10:16 AM)xdude Wrote: cPanel uses it and I don't think they will be jumping to a different OS overnight. They clearly say they won't be supporting CentOS Upstream. CentOS 8 will be supported till 2029. Also, they are going to Rollout Ubuntu-based cPanel version by end of this year. They will support the fork of RHEL 8 and CloudLinux OS 8.

You are wrong mate the support for CentOS 8 is limited to 31st of December 2021 shocking isn't it? while CentOS7 EOL is 30th of June 2024. but i do agree on debian being a good Linux distro i have my fair share of Debian usage while i absolutely hate ubuntu i do love debian for the entire security and update patches debian is by far a better competitor to centOS 7 the only thing why people don't use it as much as they use centos is because of RHEL yeah you heard it right RHEL setup a standard for professional that might be harder to overtake by an Open Source project like Debian or Arch but it doesn't mean they are bad remember BSD or FreeBSD? MacOS is based on that only and you can see the awesome results it's just took them a massive amount of time but they were able to turn an OpenSource OS to a completely different thing.

Regards
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
@TrK

No, I mean cPanel will support CentOS 8 till 2009. I just had to hunt down that blog post I had read about it. Maybe I read it wrong? But here it is,

https://blog.cpanel.com/centos-8-end-of-...ouncement/

I wonder cPanel is ignoring Debian because they take quite a long time to update anything. I couldn't find any valid reason for this even on the cPanel forum. Whenever the question is asked they respond Just stick with given OSes. I don't use Debian but I think it's a very decent system to use as a Base OS on servers. Their package management system is better than CentOS I heard.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(04-10-2021, 03:17 AM)xdude Wrote: @TrK

No, I mean cPanel will support CentOS 8 till 2009. I just had to hunt down that blog post I had read about it. Maybe I read it wrong? But here it is,

https://blog.cpanel.com/centos-8-end-of-...ouncement/

I wonder cPanel is ignoring Debian because they take quite a long time to update anything.  I couldn't find any valid reason for this even on the cPanel forum. Whenever the question is asked they respond Just stick with given OSes. I don't use Debian but I think it's a very decent system to use as a Base OS on servers. Their package management system is better than CentOS I heard.

Glad to know that cPanel will support Ubuntu ASAP. I'm one of the Ubuntu user, that have used centOS before and really confused, sorry HAHAHA.
For me Ubuntu is really an easy OS to setup and work with, so if cPanel comes in, it will allows more newbies that have hard time to configure their server for hosting to enter the pool.

cPanel also generous too give 3rd party support up to 2029. It's really a very long time and I just wow-ed. They can only support up to 2023, for example, then force all their user to move to Ubuntu instead. But they're generous to keep centOS users alive.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
(04-03-2021, 05:20 PM)fChk Wrote: While Rocky Linux is still in gestation, CloudLinux has announced the creation of its own new RHEL clone, ie a CentOS replacement, currently named AlmaLinux:
Announcing Open-sourced & Community-Driven RHEL Fork by CloudLinux.
(.....)

Rocky Linux 8.3 RC1 Now Available..

Please note this is just a release candidate (ie RC) and should not  be used in a production environment.

https://rockylinux.org/download/
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
I am very much addicted to Cent OS. I started with the commands and had not used other OSs than Ubuntu.For me Cent OS is simple to manage. Moving to other OS won't be easy. IBM has the experience to improve the OS. Let us hope for the better results from this acquisition. Some of them work like instagram bought by facebook, bu some do not like adiquity bought by flipkart. Time will show what was better. Currently I am happy with Cent OS.

Thank you  Sweet

If you know enough Linux commands then switching os does not have a big impact on you. Just use ubuntu for better support. Or support opensource.
Thank you to post4vps and HostDare for my awesome VPS 12!
Check My first ever opensource project Alpana Blood Donation Drive .
These last couple of days I've been really upset with CentOS - specifically with Apache - I'm getting to the realization I need to change.  Apache just refused to be able to read my index.html file.  I worked through loads of complaints and suggestions about this issue on Google.  Like there are hundreds of them.  One would have thought CentOS would have learned by now to have a simple solution, but no can do. Its users seem to think it's OK to use .htaccess which I thought is not recommended.  The irony of this trying to get their user "idiots" to go in round circle .htaccess solutions to make it work. So that made me think that CentOS has become too heavy and complicated for me.  We're talking about a very simple and old small html Website (18 MB ).  No bells and whistles.  

So going from VPS from HostUS where it didn't want to work, I tried out @fitkoh's free shared account he has given me on CyberPanel.  You wouldn't believe it, it worked instantly and dead easy to install.  I should ask @fitkoh what OS he has on his VPS. What I did this time that was different from before was to use the CyberPanel index.html file that was already in the root html folder of my domain, and I copied and pasted the content of my index.html into it.  To be honest though, I think about anything will work in @fitkoh's account as his approach is very simple and straight.  CyberPanel is also simple, fast and straight.  No roundabout solutions through .htaccess needed.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
01-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting