arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to enlarge local drive(C:) at a different time in windows?
It's most likely not available because the partition is active and in use by the operating system. You have to resize it offline with software like gparted or similar. By that I mean you boot the computer from a Linux distribution with disk management tools like gparted and resize the C partition through the tools.

GParted: https://gparted.org/
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
You should move files to another drive or delete your cache or temporary files.
Thank you VPSlices and Post4VPS for your beautiful VPS!
(10-23-2018, 01:45 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: I
Local Disk Size : 63 GB
Total HDD Space  : 297 GB
Unallocated 98 GB

OK now I understand where you are coming from.  That local disk size is "tiny".  The most ideal of cause would be to completely reformat the hard drive and start from scratch with partitioning it but I guess that would be too labour intensive?  Have you tried Amresh's suggestion for software from Filehippo - like I checked it out and Filehippo (if used right - i.e. you have to uncheck ads) seems to have a good reputation - or Hidden Refuge's suggestion?  Looks as though you need some management software to fix the problem if you don't want to go through the upheaval of reformatting the hard disk from scratch.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
I was able to solve this issue, and extended the c: drive which contains the OS. I don't know what exactly solved the issue the "extend" drive option became clickable after I did this.
I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master after reading the positive commands on it, I tried to extend the drive without success, it asked me to allow reboot and on the process of the reboot, it did some moving and the laptop turned on, I checked C drive space, but didn't find any changes. I went to the windows default manage disk option. This time I was able to click on extend, and it did the work.

Thank you  Sweet

@stave15
You are not directly helping the op regarding his query. can those partition tools do what he wants to do? if yes, then steps please. that would be on topic and helpful. thanks

to op,
i think (not sure on this) if you manage to make free space contiguous to c drive (just after the space occupied by c drive) by say shrinking , repositioning or deleting other partitions, then you might get an option under windows disk management to extend the c drive.

another option might be as hr mentioned, using gparted. I keep a bootable ubcd on usb drive handy for this.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(10-21-2018, 07:55 AM)Littlemaster Wrote: My local disk is almost full, is there any way that I can enlarge the drive size and install new softwares?

Yes it is definitely possible, but there are a few limitations so to speak. I faced a similar issue when my own C Drive was running out of space, I had recently bought another terabyte drive and wanted C to borrow some space from it, but I was not successful, If you have two partitions on the same hard drive, you are able to merge them into a single partition but not from another hard drive altogether.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(06-22-2019, 01:16 PM)Honey Wrote: I had recently bought another terabyte drive and wanted C to borrow some space from it, but I was not successful, If you have two partitions on the same hard drive, you are able to merge them into a single partition but not from another hard drive altogether.

You actually can do such things but I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think that the OS partition would be properly able to deal with this.

The technology is simply called HDD spanning. You bascially just add the two physical HDDs together to one logic HDD. It's a Non-RAID drive architecture. Alternative names are SPAN or BIG.

In contrary to a RAID you can span together various different disks with different sizes and technologies. As amazing this might sound... it bears a lot of issues and disadvantages. Hence why I don't recommend it. Honestly, I don't even know a proper use case or someone who would really use it these days. RAID is state of the art nowadays.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(06-22-2019, 02:32 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: You actually can do such things but I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think that the OS partition would be properly able to deal with this.

The technology is simply called HDD spanning. You bascially just add the two physical HDDs together to one logic HDD. It's a Non-RAID drive architecture. Alternative names are SPAN or BIG.

In contrary to a RAID you can span together various different disks with different sizes and technologies. As amazing this might sound... it bears a lot of issues and disadvantages. Hence why I don't recommend it. Honestly, I don't even know a proper use case or someone who would really use it these days. RAID is state of the art nowadays.

Hm I see, I didn't actually go into that much detail when I was doing my research, I was just looking for an easy way to add some space from the one tera HDD to my C drive, but it wasn't do-able from the program I was using so I just ended up moving the other partition to the tera drive and adding the (now clear) partition's space to C drive.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-30-2021, 07:03 PM
Last Post: hamed
07-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: chanalku91

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting