arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs?
(12-18-2019, 03:16 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Isn’t the Microsoft Security Essentials just the old version of Windows defender? I forgot to mention this, but I’m on windows 8.1. So Windows defender comes pre-installed.
Yes it is. At one time I had an issue with my Windows 7 updates, on my desktop computer. Actually confirming my theory that a huge number of the updates in those upgrade packages are really updates for Windows 8 and above - some of which is junk - like a cookie cutter version upgrade package. Windows Defender got loaded, without me even giving permission for it. So it never appeared on my program list for deleting it. But at the same time even when disabled, it seems to have had conflict issues. One of the many reasons I stopped updates completely. Not an ideal situation for sure and I guess one of these days I'll have to change this. I've been postponing that moment since 2017.

(12-18-2019, 03:16 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As for malwarebytes, as I’ve previously mentioned, i think not having real time protection is an advantage in my case. This lets me run it whenever i want, instead of having it constantly using up the very few resources my laptop has with its real time feature. Have you found the scans to be effective?
I actually liked the real time Malwarebytes, as compared with anti-virus software, Malwarebytes was completely unintrusive. It never interfered or felt right in my face, and didn't feel as though it was hogging special resources. Every time when the free version of Malwarebytes wants one to update it, then it seems to go to the new try-out mode, which one gets for two weeks. One can disable it, but it's always a nice experience so I then let it stay for the two weeks try-out period until it gives up on me not upgrading to premium.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(12-19-2019, 05:21 AM)deanhills Wrote: Yes it is. At one time I had an issue with my Windows 7 updates, on my desktop computer. Actually confirming my theory that a huge number of the updates in those upgrade packages are really updates for Windows 8 and above - some of which is junk - like a cookie cutter version upgrade package. Windows Defender got loaded, without me even giving permission for it. So it never appeared on my program list for deleting it. But at the same time even when disabled, it seems to have had conflict issues. One of the many reasons I stopped updates completely. Not an ideal situation for sure and I guess one of these days I'll have to change this. I've been postponing that moment since 2017.

I actually liked the real time Malwarebytes, as compared with anti-virus software, Malwarebytes was completely unintrusive. It never interfered or felt right in my face, and didn't feel as though it was hogging special resources. Every time when the free version of Malwarebytes wants one to update it, then it seems to go to the new try-out mode, which one gets for two weeks. One can disable it, but it's always a nice experience so I then let it stay for the two weeks try-out period until it gives up on me not upgrading to premium.

I just gave malwarebytes a try. As soon as i started a manual scan, the CPU and Disk shot to 100% instantly! And the laptop became barely usable. Quite unfortunate, i had high hopes for malwarebytes Sad
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Panda Cloud antivirus claims responsible for detecting more then 250 million threats. with only 2.50MB, this antivirus is definitely what many whould recommend as lightweight protection. This is light antivirus based on cloud computing but powerful enough to protect your pc.
you must give a try and yea it's free.
(01-01-2020, 02:41 AM)KingDon Wrote: Panda Cloud antivirus claims responsible for detecting more then 250 million threats. with only 2.50MB, this antivirus is definitely what many whould recommend as lightweight protection. This is light antivirus based on cloud computing but powerful enough to protect your pc.
you must give a try and yea it's free.

That kind off seems unsafe and not so secure. That fact that the scans are done on the cloud risks exposing all of my data to them. Not to mention the fact that it would take FOREVER to scan everything over the cloud considering how slow my internet upload speeds are. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
I would suggest you to try out a "modded" version of Windows 10, a sort of a lightweight Windows 10 without Metro Apps, telemetry disabled, some services removed that will surely work better on your old PC.
Of modded Windows 10 there are two type:
  • Updateable: It will have Windows Update still working and will receive updates;
  • No-updateable: Window update is removed;
No-updateable are the most stable because the monthly cumulative updates will likely make your system unstable or will fail to install anyway.

This way you will be able to use Windows Defender, that is natively integrated with Windows 10
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
For me i think Kaspersky is one of the best antivirus. Back in 2018 i have used it and was working well.
To be honest i had used Panda Antivirus 2010. I update it and use it for 30 days. Once in 2018 it failed to remove some type of virus then i installed Kaspersky to get rid of that virus.
So i will suggest you to try Kaspersky.But i don't think we need any antivirus these days.Windows Defenders are more advanced.

Thanks to Post4VPS and Hostlease for their great services.  
I suggest you 360 Total Security as a freeware with all active engines. i.e. (Security Threat Active Agent, PC Performance monitoring, Junk Cleaner, Vulnerability. active Browser agent, anti malware, anti phishing, Removable Storage active scan...) all you get free and very nice results. i hope you try and never need any other.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(01-02-2020, 01:10 AM)LightDestory Wrote: I would suggest you to try out a "modded" version of Windows 10, a sort of a lightweight Windows 10 without Metro Apps, telemetry disabled, some services removed that will surely work better on your old PC.
Of modded Windows 10 there are two type:
  • Updateable: It will have Windows Update still working and will receive updates;
  • No-updateable: Window update is removed;
No-updateable are the most stable because the monthly cumulative updates will likely make your system unstable or will fail to install anyway.

This way you will be able to use Windows Defender, that is natively integrated with Windows 10

Windows 10 is a big fat no no for my laptop! Windows 8.1 Pro already works quite nicely with it (I’ve tried windows 10 before, and my laptop completely struggled. I don’t think a lighter modified version can do much! Neither can I trust it).

As for Windows defender, that’s already part of Windows 8 and 8.1 so I don’t see the need to go to windows 10 for it. It has already proved itself to not be useful as it hasn’t done a great job at detecting some very obvious viruses that I’ve detected and got rid of manually.

(01-02-2020, 05:01 AM)Rehan Wrote: For me i think Kaspersky is one of the best antivirus. Back in 2018 i have used it and was working well.
To be honest i had used Panda Antivirus 2010. I update it and use it for 30 days. Once in 2018 it failed to remove some type of virus then i installed Kaspersky to get rid of that virus.
So i will suggest you to try Kaspersky.But i don't think we need any antivirus these days.Windows Defenders are more advanced.

As I’ve suggested somewhere above, I’ve already been using Kaspersky, i even bought a paid license. However, it seems to be way too much for my low end laptop to handle. It becomes completely unusable during scans and significantly slower when Kaspersky is just running there doing nothing.

(01-02-2020, 06:33 AM)sagher Wrote: I suggest you 360 Total Security as a freeware with all active engines. i.e. (Security Threat Active Agent, PC Performance monitoring, Junk Cleaner, Vulnerability. active Browser agent, anti malware, anti phishing, Removable Storage active scan...) all you get free and very nice results. i hope you try and never need any other.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a try when I get the time to do so!

May I ask if you’ve specifically tried it on a low end pc/laptop? Since it doesn’t seem to mention it being low end pc/laptop friendly in their website.
Pages (3):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting