arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Year's resolutions ???
(01-25-2020, 11:04 PM)deanhills Wrote: Sounds like a healthy idea not to have meat.  If I may ask, what do you have instead?  Are you a complete vegetarian now?  And what foods are you replacing the meat with?

aaah !!  and here I thought no one would ask Tongue Big Grin

As my main protein source, I eat lots of legumes. Many varieties are cultivated locally and cheap. forward slash to provide various names of the same items.

mosoor daal or lentils
pigeon pea/arhar/toor
mung daal/green gram
chickpea/bengal gram/garbanzo/chana/chola
pea
peanuts/groundnuts
soybeans
various beans/ green beans

note: - pulses beans peas are all legumes. even peanut.

note2:- Me vs Jacky Chan.
 kidney bean is very healthy. but uncooked or undercooked ones are poisonous. i am just mentioning it here so you don't end up like me when i first tried it. I read that Jacky Chan was having a soup made from it every day. haha. so I had to go do something even bigger and I ate raw.  I sure as hell ran and squatted more times than Mr. Jacky that day.
        you soak it in water for 8-10 hours and then throw away the water and  boil it to make it soft. then have it any way you like. not before on in the middle.

One can have 3 cups or about 3 servings daily of legumes without any worry. higher amount of regular consumption is safe when you eat sufficient amount of other foods too. One should never eat the same combination day in day out. Many legumes contain anti-nutrients like Phytic acid and phytates which inhibit absorption of dietary minerals, Ca, Fe, Zn etc.

Generally speaking, varying your food ingredients is a really great advice for this very reason. Many common food types contain such naturally occurring anti-nutrients that inhibit digestion/absorption of important nutrients. So by varying the foods you take, you just counter their bad effects by providing more.
       Another good idea is to germinate the seeds and then boil them. Eating raw is not a very good idea most of the time. I am not only talking about e coli contamination like what happened in germany. It is about bioavailability. After boiling, food breaks down into simpler and easily digestible components and hence more of it can get into your body. So what little get denatured during heating is nothing compared to how much more you get from food.
Also germinating, boiling reduces anti-nutrients a lot.

A totally plant based diet is harder to manage effectively. you might end up low in vitamin B or something. I have
> 2 - 4 eggs per week. one at a time. 4/5 b complex tablets per week with food. Those tabs are safe.
> stopped having rice everyday. Use it to change the routine sometimes. Wheat is more protein per weight and much cheaper.
> I always liked having fish. all kind of. But I hate cooking. So no fish, unless it is not cooked by me. I never buy and cook it. Also it is not very cost effective any more. Chicken is a much better bang per bucks if you consider complete protein profile.
> having pulse regularly means one must keep an eye out for iodines. iodised salt.
> I do my best to not subscribe to popular ideas. always check the counter arguments. So I know that it is not the fat from whole milk and milk products but the sugar/simple starch attack that is behind all the health troubles in urban people. So I would have a lot of milk if i could get it locally. But it is not possible right now. Hope to move nearer to a village when I can, later in life.

...I am mostly a boil it and eat it kinda guy. dont care about taste, spice, name of the dish blah blah...

I swear by HEALTH > TASTE

finally, it is not a new game I am in. I am doing it for the last 7 years. You may say that it  might be the reason why I am still single. But I would reply, "thank heavens, I am". Tongue

@sohamb03

I do love fish man !! I am a bengali after all and that too from a village down south. How can I not love fish and meat and milk. It is just I am experimenting with food and they are saying that a balanced protein profile plant based diet is better when you consider quality of life on average once people get older. So I am all about green now.

I have no wish to go to gym, ever, if I can help it. I do freehand and some running/swimming/rope jumping. proper gradual loading, intensity, consistency, good rest and healthy food. Thats all. You may say you live to enjoy. I say I enjoy how I live.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
@rudra Thank you so much for the feedback.  Obviously nutrition is high priority in your life, and hopefully I can get to that soon as well with the same energy and passion as you have.   Cool
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
It's been nearly month since the begin of New Year. So how you guys doing with all those new year resolutions ? I haven't make much process in any of my resolutions with in this month. But I want to make sure im focusing on these so thought it's better keep the thread updated.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

My new year resolution would be to improve myself in all key aspects. This means financially, mentally, emotionally, socially and academically. I'm still a college going student but I have a huge problem with being anti-social, Its very hard for me to make new friends which is why I'd stress on that the most.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Glad to know that @rudra, though not fully unexpected. Fish serves as the trademark of Bengalis, and your previous post made me think whether it might be that you don't like fish or some reason or the other.

Myself I'm a great foodie. I believe it's my walking to and from the school everyday that keeps me from becoming a proper 'fat' guy Tongue. TBH I feel walking is am important aspect for staying fit. Half of the exercises you'd perform at the gym could be compensated for by regular walks. That way you needn't even spare extra time in a day and dedicate it to exercises, thus it's like a win-win situation for us.

Getting back to food, I love fish, meat and seafood. Can't expect to have a week without any one of them. And yeah, I do agree with your preference of wheat over rice, although it's not possible for me to implement it as of now, as over the years the family tradition has been having rice for lunch and wheat for dinner. I seem to be quite in agreement with this diet and it's more or less balanced as I've less of rice and more of the veggies and other dishes.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(01-28-2020, 03:10 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: ....I feel walking is am important aspect for staying fit. Half of the exercises you'd perform at the gym could be compensated for by regular walks. That way you needn't even spare extra time in a day and dedicate it to exercises, thus it's like a win-win situation....
Regards,

Thanks for your reply. But now I must post here to share some gyan.
It is better to walk than becoming a couch potato. but it is not even close when you say it can work as a proxy for any exercise.

no, never, not in even your wildest dreams...

gym / freehand is a choice. i like functional strength , flexibility and independence and simplicity in life. So no gym needed for me. But for certain sports, gym is a must.

similarly walking is maybe good enough for old or disabled. not for a healthy young one.

it is just you are young and you may have high metabolic rate and good genes thats keeping you away from obesity and other ills of those who love to eat but not burn enough energy every day.

I will even add that some people are fortunate to live a healthy full life without even a second of exercise. many on both side of my family doing it even in their 90s. But it is my choice to have a strong flexible muscular body as long as i can.

walk is very good for seniors just because they are like rusty old doors.

but even for those who have kept at staying active, walk is not enough to maintain the level.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(01-28-2020, 06:01 PM)rudra Wrote: Thanks for your reply. But now I must post here to share some gyan.
It is better to walk than becoming a couch potato. but it is not even close when you say it can work as a proxy for any exercise.

no, never, not in even your wildest dreams...

gym / freehand is a choice. i like functional strength , flexibility and independence and simplicity in life. So no gym needed for me. But for certain sports, gym is a must.

similarly walking is maybe good enough for old or disabled. not for a healthy young one.

it is just you are young and you may have high metabolic rate and good genes thats keeping you away from obesity and other ills of those who love to eat but not burn enough energy every day.

I will even add that some people are fortunate to live a healthy full life without even a second of exercise. many on both side of my family doing it even in their 90s. But it is my choice to have a strong flexible muscular body as long as i can.

walk is very good for seniors just because they are like rusty old doors.

but even for those who have kept at staying active, walk is not enough to maintain the level.

Welp, actually walking fits best into my routine. Life right now has become like rushing from home to school and extra classes on even weekends, teachers hunting for extra classes to finish their syllabus any day. In this situation, sparing a few minutes for all this becomes difficult. Spending 5-10 minutes on my phone to post here, and going to the community gym are two different affairs.

As I'd said previously also, this is the best form of exercise for me, but for the time being only. It might surely be that as I grow up and have sufficient time to spare, I might also go to the gym, caring about your health and body is definitely important.

But TBH there are a few things you can do in everyday life to maintain your health. Ofc I didn't mean that walking everyday will give you 6-packs Tongue, if you think that, this won't happen. I just meant that it keeps me from becoming obese. One thing is walking regularly as I said, another is good posture, doing some household chores and the list goes on.

Thus that's my point. I agree that there are lot of aspects with respect to a particular point and similarly walking is definitely one of the components of staying fit. Personally speaking, I liked your gyan. (For those who dunno what it is, it's a sarcastic Hindi word for what'd otherwise mean knowledge. Wink)

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
01-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Last Post: tiwil
01-09-2017, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Golden

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting