arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XenForo vs myBB?
XenForo is a paid Forum script - comes with a license fee.  However, looks like another Forum I'm a member off is thinking of changing from myBB to XenForo.

I'm curious to know if there are members at post4vps who have gone through the experience of changing from a myBB Forum to XenForo Forum? What were the challenges that stood out the most?  For example, I see there is a tool in XenForo to import a myBB Forum.  Have you tried to do that, and what are the challenges to watch out for when you import myBB Forum to XenForo?

I'm also wondering if one has a myBB database, if one would be able to import it to XenForo via phpmyadmin?  Like I was wondering whether one could create an empty database in phpmyadmin, install XenForo with that empty database, and then import the myBB database content into the empty XenForo database?  Wishful thinking?

Something neat I learned through quick research was that many XenForo users are creating the XenForo forum with a WordPress Website.  I checked through a tutorial where one database is used for both WordPress and XenForo.  WordPress is the Website, and then through WordPress Menu is linked to XenForo Forum sharing the same database.  However, can't help but wonder how secure that would be - probably better to stick with a static Website along side the Forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUicFhUl4Zo
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Yeah, I've just had some similar experience a few days ago. You might be aware about LNB-Hosting, the subsidiary of HostLease.

In the beginning we had MyBB for our forum software. However, there came a few challenges with it as well. The main problem was with the theme, and cuz I'm mostly on mobile, the it was sort of difficult for me to manage forum stuff. Even MyBB GoMobile didn't work properly, which increased the trouble further.

It was then that Jordy decided to move to Xenforo. I must say, you get what you pay for. It's such an amazing forum software. Even the theme we have more is unremarkable. The tools are excellently placed and I must say the software is a beauty.

Nevertheless, the migration script from MyBB didn't work for us, but it wasn't a big deal as we had just started the forum, and not many posts were made which needed to be migrated.

If you wanna try out Xenforo, head over to the LNB Community forum at https://lnb-hosting.nl, and maybe get yourself another free VPS for the same number of posts each month. :-)

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(05-01-2020, 04:13 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: Yeah, I've just had some similar experience a few days ago. You might be aware about LNB-Hosting, the subsidiary of HostLease.
No, I was totally unaware about this. What is your role in it? Big Grin

(05-01-2020, 04:13 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: In the beginning we had MyBB for our forum software. However, there came a few challenges  with it as well. The main problem was with the theme, and cuz I'm mostly on mobile, the it was sort of difficult for me to manage forum stuff. Even MyBB GoMobile didn't work properly, which increased the trouble further.
This is exactly what was happening at the other Forum as well. And to change versions took a great chunk of time and many conflicts to work through. Right now we're having issues with Mod Security and trying to figure out what is triggering the issue in myBB - i.e. it comes up with a forbidden page every now and then.

(05-01-2020, 04:13 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: It was then that Jordy decided to move to Xenforo. I must say, you get what you pay for. It's such an amazing forum software. Even the theme we have more is unremarkable. The tools are excellently placed and I must say the software is a beauty.
This is excellent news.

(05-01-2020, 04:13 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: Nevertheless, the migration script from MyBB didn't work for us, but it wasn't a big deal as we had just started the forum, and not many posts were made which needed to be migrated.
This is sad news. We've got a Forum dating from 2013 and plenty of plugins.

(05-01-2020, 04:13 AM)sohamb03 Wrote: If you wanna try out Xenforo, head over to the LNB Community forum at https://lnb-hosting.nl, and maybe get yourself another free VPS for the same number of posts each month. :-)
I'm definitely going to check it out. Totally curious about it!

BTW - since you have hands on experience with XenForo, what would happen if one would import a myBB database into a XenForo database?
Terminal
Oh yeah, I didn't mention that. My role in LNB-Hosting forum, is that of a Moderator. Me and Jordy are the only two Staff members at LNB. The community isn't so active as of now, but we hope to have it rolling with active members fairly soon. Big Grin

As for the permissions there seems issues with Xenforo as well. I mean, when at first Jordy added the Moderator role to me, then I was getting a forbidden page everywhere round the forum, not being able to see even the index page. However , it was a pretty simple fix, he just had to check all the perms for the Mod role and boom! It works perfectly now.

As for the forum migration, and the other question of yours regarding importing your MyBB Database into Xenforo Database, I'm gonna mention @Pacific Spirit. That's cuz although I've been using Xenforo, it was Jordy who did the installation. I'm only a sort of end user, and he's the one with the answers to your question.

And one last thing ... It just struck me, whether the forum migration script didn't work, or Jordy deleted the MyBB content before installing Xenforo, well, I'm not sure. I couldn't find that part of the conversation on Discord, it's about a month ago, and I just couldn't locate that message anywhere. So I'll leave this one for him too, here's the one who will be able to clarify. Smile

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Xenforo is a clean and good forum. I'ved just make the switch by a friend of him but the foru, works and it is different as MyBB but more stylefull as MyBB for so far as I can see it. I should take a test of it.
Hey,
Xenforo is really a clean looking forum, And have much good looking themes and options. About months back i created a esport forum which users cant notice if this actually was a forum.
I also find Xenforo more responsive and more easy to use, It's theme editor it's kinda easy and have many options. Well the plugins pricing is kinda high tho.
Coming to your question,
That tool works just fine, The problem i ran into only was the theme (for me could not find this issue). Make sure you select the default theme of MYBB, and then make a database and then import, I could not re-produce this error at that time neither i could find what caused it.
I had a forum over 432 members, And many posts, It worked pretty fine for me the tool.
P.S = My forum is dead now
Edit : That bug caused the main page goes blank.
(04-30-2020, 10:51 PM)deanhills Wrote: I'm also wondering if one has a myBB database, if one would be able to import it to XenForo via phpmyadmin?  Like I was wondering whether one could create an empty database in phpmyadmin, install XenForo with that empty database, and then import the myBB database content into the empty XenForo database?  Wishful thinking?

Technically not possible as the database structure is never the same BUT. There is an incentive for the developers of any software to increase their market share by easing up the migration of prospective client into their product. Thus they develop special tools specifically designed for that purpose.

A quick Google search yielded this for MyBB 1.8 :
https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/importing/

Not sure if it's free nor if it's working as I don't use neither one of them, but you might like to look into it.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(05-02-2020, 01:42 PM)fChk Wrote: Technically not possible as the database structure is never the same BUT. There is an incentive for the developers of any software to increase their market share by easing up the migration of prospective client into their product. Thus they develop special tools specifically designed for that purpose.

A quick Google search yielded this for MyBB 1.8 :
https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/importing/

Not sure if it's free nor if it's working as I don't use neither one of them, but you might like to look into it.

Thanks for the feedback fChk. I picked up on the importing manual last night. I then realized that databases always stay the same including importing its contents. There should be some way of lining up the fields.

We're going to experiment with what is called an Importer App. Just learned that the owner of the Forum gets this app from the customer account that comes with the license.
Terminal
It is easier to curse MyBB and move to Xenforo. But when those bills come and trouble you, you will much more frustrated. I am not discouraging you, but if you are not planning ( and succeed ) a profit-making forum, Xenforo can be a real burden.
Thanks  @Post4VPS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting