arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When your PC makes a BEEP Noise!
Hello brothers,
The following issues which creates a BEEPing Noise.
Formats:
if 1 beep its - video card 
if 2 to 3 beeps - RAM 
if it beeps continuously - it the processor 
1. Its seems that your RAM or memory is not properly inserted.
Mostly beeping error is from memory. try removing your RAM then clean the lower part with an eraser.. Then try inserting your RAM again..
To read more about this try looking here : http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-do-i...beep-codes
2.  VIDEO CARD remove the video card clean it up... you can use eraser...make sure to remove the dust/lint
3. [font=Roboto, sans-serif]PROCESSOR - remove the processor ... clean the white one I mean the paste (thermal paste) then if you don't have that paste try to ask the hardware im sure they have one and grab it... don't leave the processor if it is not attach in the slot make sure to have that paste first it has time limit in exposing the processor it may cause a problem if the processor wont put back int the slot.. <the main solution is change the thermal paste then lock it up tightly.. the most important thing is just...lock it up so tight..[/font]
[font=Roboto, sans-serif]------------------------[/font]
[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Then Restart your PC and Check again[/font]
[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Hope it will run good Smile[/font]
Servzen.com | Premium Hosting Provider!
Fast, secure and affordable plans | VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting.
thanks for sharing this is really helpfull my pc also beeps when i run mta san and sometimes it shows a blue image then shutdown and restart the pc it works fine and im not playing mta daily just weekly or monthly so i dont have any problems now with my pc xd
thank you post4vps and  racknerd for wonderful vps3  Heart

lol this is brilliant. Thanks for this thread @HarisHayat I've had my desktop computer making the odd beep now and then and for the life of me didn't know what it was about, and now how does one Google something like that? I wouldn't even have thought of describing it as a "beep" sound.

My desktop computer makes the odd beep now and then and now thanks to the article link you posted I know it's failure on DRAM refresh. Now at least I have something to work with. I wonder whether this may have something to do with the RAM I added a few months ago. It's not a big issue as the beep is only very occasional but at least it is not such a mystery any longer.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
Additional info:- If your pc goes off suddenly with s burning smell and doesn't turn on, it's your PSU :')
Hello together

I would like to add a few comments to this thread in order to shed some light on this subject. At no point I'm trying to irritate anyone of the members. I'm only trying to help a bit more with troubleshooting beep codes.

Let's start with the first section:
Quote:if 1 beep its - video card
  • This is not necessarily true because even if many mainboard companies try to come together and unify the beep codes it can still be a sign for a different issue.
  • Many mainboards actually create one beep signal when they do a successful boot.
  • One beep with other factors will play the actual role for the warning signal. If you receive one beep but no video signal it could be true that the video card is not being detected. However if the mainboard company has a different use for one beep it could mean something else, too.
  • Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard.

Another section:
Quote:if 2 to 3 beeps
  • So is it two or three beeps? You have to decide. Beep codes always have a defined length, order and repeat cycles.
  • Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard.

Now to the last section:
Quote:if it beeps continuously - it the processor
  • Many mainboards have a feature to send a warning signal when a fan fails. In this case the mainboard will beep continuously. So if a monitored fan fails it will beep. Is a monitored fan unplugged it will beep, too.
  • Many mainboards also have the ability to send a warning signal when the CPU reaches a critical near fatal temperature. In this case the mainboard will usually also beep continuously.
  • A continuous beeping with other factors is playing a role in terms of what the warning signal means. So if a system boots up to OS with a continuous beep it most likely cannot be a CPU failure. It could be overheating or a broken fan. Systems with broken or undetected CPUs will not post at all and therefore will not boot at all.

I always mention "Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard." and this is very important. With every different mainboard company the beep codes could mean something else even if these companies try to unify their beep codes and post codes. So check the manual of your mainboard or the computer for the right meaning. There is always a defined length (short or long beep), order (something like short short short, long, short <- just an example) and a repeat cycle (the same beep code could be repeated three times before going silent to signal something special or other things <- just an example). This combination is what is helping to identify the issue. You have to listen carefully and compare it with described codes in the manual.

I can share my experience about differences in beep codes. I bought a Gigabyte AMD AM3 mainboard in 2011 and built my first system ever with it. I did something wrong and got a beep code. After trying around I asked someone and they told me to look into the manual for the beep code. I did so and found out that the beep code meant "no video card detected" as I was really not getting any video signal. Fast forward to 2016. I bought a Intel mainboard from Asus for a i5-6500 CPU and wanted to build a new system. Unfortunately I didn't properly check the mainboard before installing the CPU. It gave me a beep code. I looked it up in the manual and it was saying "CPU failure or CPU not detected". The crazy thing was that the beep code order, length and repeat cycle was exactly the same as of the mainboard from 2011 that was saying "no video card detected".

So here we have two different mainboards from different companies and from different years with the same beep code standing for two totally different things. I even verified this by looking at the manual of the old mainboard again and listening to the beep code over and over. And I even verified it was really a CPU issue after removing the CPU and checking the socket properly like I should have done before starting to build the computer. Some of the socket pins were actually bent really badly and thus the CPU couldn't make full connection to the mainboard socket.

So I'm very sorry to break it to you but this thread has no value when doing troubleshooting of post issues and beep codes. Sorry and again I'm not trying to attack anyone here. Partially the content might be true but there are a lot of things to consider than this three described codes and due to differences with companies they could mean something different on each mainboard.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
Thanks very much for your quality post @Hidden Refuge.  I've got a Dell Optiplex desktop computer and thought it was a beep I heard, but maybe it is something else?  It's a single one-off beep that only happens very occasionally, like maybe once a day, or alternate day.  I checked up the beep codes for Dell below, however can't figure out where the beep fits in the codes.  Maybe it's something else?
http://www.dell.com/support/article/za/e...pc?lang=en

I suspect that it could be something to do with my RAM?  As at end of 2016 when I reformatted the hard disk of the computer I got a technician to add additional RAM.  Maybe the new RAM is not completely in sync - like it is OK, but maybe it causes a beep very occasionally?

Note later:  Just noticed this at the bottom of the Dell article - my Dell Optiplex is 9010 - so not sure whether the note applies to it as my Optiplex only makes a very occasional single beep?

Quote:Note: Starting from the D4 generation of OptiPlex models onwards (i.e. 7010/9010/9010 AIO), the beep codes will be eliminated, replaced by a single memory error pattern. Now only no memory failure conditions generate the beep code, the beep pattern is 1-3-2 (1 beep, then 3 beeps, then 2 beeps). This beep code tells you that the computer encountered a memory problem. The new beep codes emit only memory failure symptoms. Occasionally, reseating the memory modules may fix the beep code errors.
Terminal
What exactly are the symptons? Does this beep happen on boot? When it happens do you have post -> it continues to boot into the OS. Does the beep happen during usage when you are already in the OS and are doing your work, browsing and etc? When did it start to happen? How does the system operate in general? Do you have issues with it?

Is it really a beep? Sometimes hard drives or speaks can emit a similar sound but it doesn't sound exactly like a beep from a mainboard speaker and is not as loud as a mainboard beep. Maybe even the mainboard beep speaker might have an issue and is producing a unnecessary sound. Like you might have experienced speakers popping when shutting down or starting a system. Something similar could be happening here that leads to the beep even if everything is fine.

Have you already done a diagnostics run when it occured? The Optiplex page has so many different beep codes and many of them say to "Run Diagnostics".
(06-09-2018, 09:48 PM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: What exactly are the symptons? Does this beep happen on boot? When it happens do you have post -> it continues to boot into the OS. Does the beep happen during usage when you are already in the OS and are doing your work, browsing and etc? When did it start to happen? How does the system operate in general? Do you have issues with it?

Is it really a beep? Sometimes hard drives or speaks can emit a similar sound but it doesn't sound exactly like a beep from a mainboard speaker and is not as loud as a mainboard beep. Maybe even the mainboard beep speaker might have an issue and is producing a unnecessary sound. Like you might have experienced speakers popping when shutting down or starting a system. Something similar could be happening here that leads to the beep even if everything is fine.

Have you already done a diagnostics run when it occured? The Optiplex page has so many different beep codes and many of them say to "Run Diagnostics".
It's not a loud beep.  It's been around for probably the last year or so.  It happens while I'm doing my work, when I'm in the OS.  I don't have any issues with the system.  The beep sounds almost like an interference of a kind.  Very brief, not very loud.  Almost like a disturbance.  But very occasionally only - like once a day or maybe even only alternate days.  It's had me curious as to its origins, but since I haven't been having any issues with the computer (other than with Windows updates) I haven't been worried about it.
Terminal
I'm sorry but I guess I can't help much in this case.

The way you described it... it doesn't sound like a real mainboard beep sound. It sounds more really like some kind of interference coming from some part of the computer. Not only speakers can cause this but also things like power supplies produce such sounds. When they convert power to different voltages a lot of those phone charger power supplies create a very similar noise to beeping sounds. Same can happen to a computer power supply or any other component.

If the system runs absolutely fine you probably don't have to worry.
Thanks HR.  I've done the short 10 minute diagnostics test and it didn't come up with any errors.  But it did pick up on Windows 7 not behaving optimally.  It was very interesting to run the test.  Dell uses Support Assist, which I had in my system in 2014 when I purchased it, but Malwarebytes quarantined it - probably going to quarantine it again.  For those who have Dell the following are the steps for doing the Diagnostics Test:

1. You have to find out what your serial number is first by checking at your Windows command line:

wmic bios get serialnumber

2. Then go to the following Dell page:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/za/e...=en#Online

The above may be different for the region where you are but I'm sure it should work out eventually

3. I chose to do the 10 minute test.  Fortunately it came out error free - so the sound I hear must be meaningless.  I do know I have an issue with Windows 7 however.  Since I have some time on my hands and I'm doing the Diagnostics, I may check out the problems I'm having with Windows 7 as well.  Cautiously.   Wink
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting