arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which OS do you use?
What is your preferred OS, which is the one you use of the majority of your machines, and why?
Well, I am using Windows 10 on every machine except for VPSes. Right now Windows 10 with WSL2 is the perfect combo according to me, you can use the huge application world of Windows but also the perfect integration of developing tools of Linux on the same machine AT THE SAME TIME with minimal overhead, I mean WSL2's performance are really good compared to Virtual Box and VMWare.

Windows is changing, every day is more and more developer friendly. You can get easily a Windows 10 key to get a OEM license, it is still unknown from where these keys comes from, but it still cheap!
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
I am using Windows 10 after changing to a new laptop. I don't think gonna need to full install Linux here since Windows already support WSL which is fantastic. Just need to setup a few things then my development PC is ready to go.

But for server, I use Debian or Ubuntu, depending on what panel (VestaCP or Cyberpanel) I will use later on. Mostly it works great since both are pretty similar. Therefore I don't need to hardly adapt to the new OS. I tried CentOS before but don't really understand how the system is working, so I get back to Debian.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
I float between macOS and then CentOS and ElementaryOS for various learning and development projects. My VPS with @cubedata however is running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS currently.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
My preferred OS is Ubuntu. I keep using it for many years due to its good performance and stability.

Another reason...... perhaps I am just too lazy to switch to any others, although I know there are a lot of nice linux distributions out there. Smile

My choice is Ubuntu and Debian. because of subsequent updates and vast range of repertories.
Also a big reason is you got easy and instant solution available on many issues on simple search.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(02-28-2021, 04:09 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: What is your preferred OS, which is the one you use of the majority of your machines, and why?
Any RedHat-based Linux distribution should do the trick for me. By RedHat-based, I mean any distribution that uses RedHat's RPM package manager should be just fine; this includes Arch Linux, Mandriva Linux etc....

Of course, why go to the forks if the original is still around ?.. This is why I did stick with RedHat's own ecosystem since the start; RHEL, CentOS and Fedora, which are the same thing/product really, packaged to meet specific needs.

Now to pick up one as the 'preferred OS' I would go with Fedora without any hesitation. It's powerful, highly customizable ,  cutting-edge and ... FREE!.. One upgrade every 6 months and 2 kernel upgrades a week!..

(02-28-2021, 04:09 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: Besides, I'm fond of the way CentOS enforces it's directory permissions (stricter than others).
Not sure what you meant here ?..

(02-28-2021, 04:09 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: People say that Ubuntu is more suitable for Linux newbies, but honestly I started with CentOS and still here. I like Debian though, compared to Ubuntu. 
Not really!.. Any distribution is suitable for any Linux newbie. What Ubuntu was created for is to attract 'Lazy Windows Users' who are willing to switch to Linux provided that there is a distribution that mimick a lot of Windows semantics(/UI). AND that's just what Ubuntu did from its early days to today -of course to the dismay of the purist among the Linux community.

Canonical (the enterprise behind Ubuntu) borrowed a lot from Microsoft's M.O. and that did show into its flagship product: Ubuntu; it smells like a Windows all over the place :-)

(02-28-2021, 04:09 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: Package manager being a bit dated on CentOS is definitely a concern, but with a couple years of experience in Linux now I find it better to alt compile whatever I need rather than switching OS. 
I think you're referring to 'yum' here. if so, you may need to know that you can also install the newer 'dnf' package manager in CentOS-7 too. It's there but not installed by default.

Thus just install it and you can still use both.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
This has all been super insightful as I try to rebuild the distro I was working on, from what I’ve collected is that folks value an easy to use package manager, stability and security. Does everyone like yum, apt or dnf for their package manager better?
(03-08-2021, 01:30 AM)tbelldesignco Wrote: This has all been super insightful as I try to rebuild the distro I was working on, from what I’ve collected is that folks value an easy to use package manager, stability and security. Does everyone like yum, apt or dnf for their package manager better?

I prefer apt from the others ... since I never used the other HAHAHA. But overall I never feel annoyed when using apt so don't think to change in any time soon. Debian and Ubuntu (the OS I choose) already have this out of the box so it's what I can get and never complain about anything
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
The best type of ubuntu is on Linux. But it is the best in Windows 7 because it has fewer bugs than other versions of Windows. I suggest you use this version if you are a programmer. But if you are a gamer, the best version is 10 with all its updates from Microsoft.
in last i use windows 10.
Thanks Post4VPS
(03-08-2021, 07:51 PM)hamed Wrote: The best type of ubuntu is on Linux. But it is the best in Windows 7 because it has fewer bugs than other versions of Windows. I suggest you use this version if you are a programmer. But if you are a gamer, the best version is 10 with all its updates from Microsoft.
in last i use windows 10.

While I do agree, Windows 7 is no longer supported, so you are kind of rolling the dice when it comes to using it.

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting