arrow_upward

Pages (5):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which OS do you use?
Continuing my discussion with @tbelldesignco from the shoutbox, I felt this is a good topic to be extended to the community. 

What is your preferred OS, which is the one you use of the majority of your machines, and why?

For me, my preferred OS is CentOS and I use it on the majority of my machines. Now it is for a variety of reasons, I find it more professional than the other OS, I love it's UI (rather shell interface) and far more easy to configure and host applications on than other OS. Besides, I'm fond of the way CentOS enforces it's directory permissions (stricter than others).

People say that Ubuntu is more suitable for Linux newbies, but honestly I started with CentOS and still here. I like Debian though, compared to Ubuntu. 

Package manager being a bit dated on CentOS is definitely a concern, but with a couple years of experience in Linux now I find it better to alt compile whatever I need rather than switching OS. 

Would love to hear your views ... Cheers!
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
On my daily driver my 2019-MacBook Pro I use macOS 11.2.2, but I virtualize CentOS and ElementaryOS for my various development endeavors! As a Graphic Designer and Coder, I lean heavily on macOS for the Adobe CC suite and Xcode, but I love being able to use CentOS for Docker to keep my developments more contained from my machine that way if something really hits the fan then I have an extra insurance policy in place.

As @sohamb03 stated, CentOS is fantastic and the package manager needs some improvement. I'm actually using a CentOS box to create a Linux From Scratch project just to further expand my knowledge of the Linux Kernel and maybe someday have a fully functioning distro with custom applications beefing up my C/C++ knowledge.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
well, Ubuntu is more better then CentOS , but for me cent os is great :3

Thanks to @Post4VPS & @Racknerd for Providing thier : VPS 2

(02-28-2021, 04:22 PM)tbelldesignco Wrote: On my daily driver my 2019-MacBook Pro I use macOS 11.2.2, but I virtualize CentOS and ElementaryOS for my various development endeavors! As a Graphic Designer and Coder, I lean heavily on macOS for the Adobe CC suite and Xcode, but I love being able to use CentOS for Docker to keep my developments more contained from my machine that way if something really hits the fan then I have an extra insurance policy in place.

As @sohamb03 stated, CentOS is fantastic and the package manager needs some improvement. I'm actually using a CentOS box to create a Linux From Scratch project just to further expand my knowledge of the Linux Kernel and maybe someday have a fully functioning distro with custom applications beefing up my C/C++ knowledge.

MacOS .... nice! I've heard it's quite a cool OS. I do not own a Mac, but my purposes are mostly development and I'd be the last one to pay $100 for a Mac Dev license let alone the fact that I can't afford it. 

CentOS is awesome for productions, big companies use it too. They've gone the stream way but I'm sure that'll be cool too, I'm yet to try it out myself. 

For your Linux project from scratch, I really appreciate it and book my seat for one of the early users of your OS once it's complete. Good luck!
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

I have started my server experience with Centos but later I moved to Ubuntu since I started using Vertualmin. But I had to move back to Cento with Cyberpanel. Since CentOS gonna be no more after version 8 so I will need to find something else.

~ Be yourself everybody else is taken ~

(02-28-2021, 04:56 PM)xdude Wrote: I have started my server experience with Centos but later I moved to Ubuntu since I started using Vertualmin. But I had to move back to Cento with Cyberpanel. Since CentOS gonna be no more after version 8 so I will need to find something else.

Well CentOS 7 has a deprecation date pretty far away in 2024, so it's enough time to keep using CentOS 7 for now. I never really used CentOS 8 in production and well with the release of CentOS Stream it's having a speedy deprecation. 

I guess you might wanna try out stream itself ... I haven't personally but that doesn't mean it won't be as good as the CentOS releases till now. Maybe it is even better, afterall it's the same Devs working on the OS. 

Anyway good luck with finding yourself a new OS! Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

(02-28-2021, 05:00 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: Well CentOS 7 has a deprecation date pretty far away in 2024, so it's enough time to keep using CentOS 7 for now. I never really used CentOS 8 in production and well with the release of CentOS Stream it's having a speedy deprecation. 

I guess you might wanna try out stream itself ... I haven't personally but that doesn't mean it won't be as good as the CentOS releases till now. Maybe it is even better, afterall it's the same Devs working on the OS. 

Anyway good luck with finding yourself a new OS! Smile

Aha .... good news to note that CentOS 7 has still life left on it until 2024.  I'm on CentOS 7.  When I tried CentOS 8, I found there were a few applications I had that didn't want to work with CentOS 8.  The first one was installation of python for running the speedtest script.  Then from one pre condition that was needed to another, there continued to be issues to contend with.  So I'm sticking with CentOS 7 for now.  Hopefully by the time I have to change, there will be something better around.  Maybe Rocky Linux! Wonder whether there will be a huge learning curve involved and whether it will be an easy migration from CentOS 7?  Maybe @fChk will know?

Wait a minute! Looks like CentOS 8 support has been cut down from 2029 to December 2021. So CentOS 7 is going to be supported past CentOS 8 to 2024. Interesting. All the reason to use CentOS 7 in preference to CentOS 8.

Quote:The CentOS project recently announced a shift in strategy for CentOS. Whereas previously CentOS existed as a downstream build of its upstream vendor (it receives patches and updates after the upstream vendor does), it will be shifting to an upstream build (testing patches and updates before inclusion in the upstream vendor). Additionally, support for CentOS Linux 8 has been cut short, from May 31, 2029 to December 31, 2021.
Source: https://rockylinux.org/
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(02-28-2021, 08:25 PM)deanhills Wrote: Aha .... good news to note that CentOS 7 has still life left on it until 2024.  I'm on CentOS 7.  When I tried CentOS 8, I found there were a few applications I had that didn't want to work with CentOS 8.  The first one was installation of python for running the speedtest script.  Then from one pre condition that was needed to another, there continued to be issues to contend with.  So I'm sticking with CentOS 7 for now.  Hopefully by the time I have to change, there will be something better around.  Maybe Rocky Linux! Wonder whether there will be a huge learning curve involved and whether it will be an easy migration from CentOS 7?  Maybe @fChk will know?

Well in simple terms till date CentOS used to be the "downstream" build of RHEL. What does that mean? When a new RHEL release was out, CentOS developers would rebase to the changes, apply the patches etc. and create a new release. This is also the reason why CentOS releases would come after the parent RHEL releases. 

However, now CentOS is being changed to the "upstream" build of RHEL. This means that CentOS will be used as a "development" branch by RHEL testing their changes and patches on it before it goes into a RHEL release. So now CentOS releases will come first and then RHEL, which *might* lead to instability as untested changes will be included in RHEL. 

I've read about Rocky Linux, it's release is planned soon too. Well it's essentially gonna do what CentOS used to, prior to December 2020, and become the downstream build of RHEL. So it'll mostly be similar besides their own flavor which we are yet to discover. Big Grin

(02-28-2021, 08:25 PM)deanhills Wrote: Wait a minute!  Looks like CentOS 8 support has been cut down from 2029 to December 2021.  So CentOS 7 is going to be supported past CentOS 8 to 2024. Interesting. All the reason to use CentOS 7 in preference to CentOS 8.

CentOS 8 lifetime was cut short in favor of CentOS 8 but they have agreed to support CentOS 7 till the EOL of RHEL 7, due to the enormous usage.

Further read: https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-i...os-stream/
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

(02-28-2021, 08:25 PM)deanhills Wrote: Aha .... good news to note that CentOS 7 has still life left on it until 2024.  I'm on CentOS 7.  When I tried CentOS 8, I found there were a few applications I had that didn't want to work with CentOS 8.  The first one was installation of python for running the speedtest script.  Then from one pre condition that was needed to another, there continued to be issues to contend with.  So I'm sticking with CentOS 7 for now.

(...)

Wait a minute!  Looks like CentOS 8 support has been cut down from 2029 to December 2021.  So CentOS 7 is going to be supported past CentOS 8 to 2024. Interesting. All the reason to use CentOS 7 in preference to CentOS 8.
The support for CentOS-7 was maintained because of the wider user-base and because of the date (2024 vs 2029!).. so No wonder there!

(02-28-2021, 08:25 PM)deanhills Wrote: Hopefully by the time I have to change, there will be something better around.  Maybe Rocky Linux! Wonder whether there will be a huge learning curve involved and whether it will be an easy migration from CentOS 7?  Maybe @fChk will know?
Theoretically it shouldn't!.. It's basically the same code source compiled under a different label. That's all there is to it.

For the migration, that's up to the new team: they can make it as easy as they can and/or wish to be user-friendly.. so, in other words, it will depend on how much financial backup they will have to sustain their efforts/work.

Having watched FOSS-projects for more than 2 decades, the rule of thumb is this: The more financial incentive they will have, the more user-friendly they would wish to be!
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
(02-28-2021, 04:31 PM)sohamb03 Wrote: MacOS .... nice! I've heard it's quite a cool OS. I do not own a Mac, but my purposes are mostly development and I'd be the last one to pay $100 for a Mac Dev license let alone the fact that I can't afford it. 

CentOS is awesome for productions, big companies use it too. They've gone the stream way but I'm sure that'll be cool too, I'm yet to try it out myself. 

For your Linux project from scratch, I really appreciate it and book my seat for one of the early users of your OS once it's complete. Good luck!

macOS is great and I hear what you are saying with the developer licensing cost, but you can always use Xcode for free so you can learn the language then either release your app outside of the AppStore or work on getting a contract with a company who will help publish and market your product while you can focus on the code. I am actually thinking about figuring out a way to get something like that setup, to help new developers get an app to market. Having the TBDC Developer Network or something like that.

As for the LFS, I would be stoked to have you guys try it! My first iteration will be a stripped down bash line like we all primarily use with our VPSs then perhaps for the second iteration of bugs and fixes, fork the project so I can learn more about GTK and Vala.
Thank you to CubeData and Posts4VPS for the services of VPS 8.
Pages (5):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting