arrow_upward

Poll: Which part of VPS matter the most for you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CPU vCore count
25.00%
RAM amount
33.33%
Storage amount and technology
8.33%
Network speed
33.33%
Total
12 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which specification of VPS matter the most for you?
I want to open this discussion to investigate about the usage of VPS!

So, let's start, this specific thread is about the hardware specification:
  • CPU vCore, tell us which is the optimal vcore count for you followed by a explanation (it can be technical or just an approximaiton)
  • RAM, tell us which is the optimal RAM amount for you, general use speaking followed by a explanation (Don't think about a HIGH-END task like huge game servers! For that case-usage the answer is simple: A LOT!)
  • Storage, tell us which is the optimal amount of storage and WHICH technology it should be for a general use followed by a explanation
  • Network Speed, tell us how much the DL link and UP link should be for a general use followed by a explanation
Specification such as geo-location and bandwith/month are not related because it is a business-part not related to the bare hardware!

Please reply to the poll selection which parts matter the most for you! (You can select one or more)
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
I really like this thread! Thank you for opening such great threads to participate!
  • Coming to your question, Soo, I have been buying VPS from OVH and few different companies and the one i also have from P4V which is VPS 7.
The optimal CPU vCore optimal for me would be i would say 2vCore, Because like when i was on VPS with 1vCore (even with good processors) the performance obviously was kinda bad for me(Experienced just like minor lag and hang rest was fine i know its basic COMPUTERS) i usually host Voice Server and website so like 2vCore has been real optimal for me!
  • RAM wise honestly, I never went for having too much ram at instant. I have literally hosted my TeamSpeak3 Music Bot and my Proxy on a 256MB VPS from Virmach and literally it protected me from DDOS for like a year! Hats off to Virmach i cannot forget that VPS ever! So since my use of RAM is now more, My optimal choice is 2GB, Most of my VPS is 2GB and they serve me pretty well.
  • Storage wise, I strongly just prefer SSD Based Storage be it SATA or NVME. Because hosting Game Servers or Voice Servers on HDD is really way too sloww, Obviously HDD are way way slower than SSD i do know that, But HDD takes way too much time loading game servers or Voice Servers like CSGO or TeamSpeak3.
  • NETWORK Speed, So a minimum of like 100MB of Upload and 100MB of download would be kind of enough for me (Right now have this link from OVH). But i would prefer a 1GBps!

Regards,
sAmI
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

Great thread! You're so revolutionary to create a new thread. Well, I prefer to have mid to high VPS, based on my budget.

1. I prefer to have not so big RAM but not too low as 512MB. 4GB RAM is more than enough right now for me, that's why I downgraded to 2GB RAM instead right now.
2. CPU cores? 1 is enough but 2 is better. I don't really know how much core my app used as I don't really watch the usage.
3. Storage ... well, my current 20GB SSD can handle my usage BUT I prefer to have bigger size such as 40-50GB SSD.
4. Network speed: I prefer for 1Gbps speed but it depends on VPS location. If it's not too far from my user's location then 250Mbps like OVH is totally fine.

I have deployed a deep learning model in Digital Ocean's VPS with 1 CPU cores, 2GB RAM, and 50GB SSD. It's working fine and took 7% CPU usage when one request come in. So not so small but not way too big VPS can handle such application.
Thanks to Limitless Hosting and Post4VPS for providing me excellent VPS 13!
I need max RAM and Low Ping high speed internet with KVM machine and wish more then one IPv4 and desire to be DDos protected.
That is basic need for me. and if you ask about storage then SSD is must and for my regular uses i don't need more then 10G space but sometime i need more for some projects.
Location wise the more suitable places for me is Germany, France, Russia, Malaysia.
American VPS's gave High ping in Asia. but quit manageable if overall specs are good.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
For me, personally I look for the CPU the most, this is because generally all VPSes have good network speed, and for most of my tasks ram is not too much of a requirement unless it is below 2 gigs.

The reason why I look for CPU is because sometimes I host private game servers on these VPSes, and since these are mainly single core processes, the single core performance of the CPU really matters especially when the gameserver is hosting many players.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
Great topic @LightDestory.  

For me location is most important, as location determines latency and connection speed of the VPS.  If your ISP doesn't have a smooth communication with your VPS location, then nothing else will be meaningful at all, you won't be able to benefit from the VPS specs.  So first thing I do when I look at a VPS is to look for an IP to ping for and to see the connection speed and latency with which my ISP deals with the VPS IP.

Next would be reliability and uptime.  I would investigate the VPS provider for it.  Look for reviews.  If there are no reviews, then I'll drop the VPS.  If there are few reviews only, and they are all very good, then I'll drop it too.  The provider must have been around long enough for a mix of reviews.  Such as Virmach.  I have to be convinced it's a good provider, that is going to be around for a while, and I can trust for reliability of service and uptime.  So after Latency and connection speed, reliability of the provider and uptime are most important.

Next I look at the specs, vs the budget I can afford and am willing to pay.  If it's a very good VPS provider, then I'm sure their most basic specs will be OK for me.  Basic for me is 1-2 GB RAM and 10 GB disk space. I also look at the availability of a really good panel, and ability to expand my specs as needed. Easily. Security is also important. One can usually pick up on this in the reviews, but there should be info on the VPS Website about the security software and protocols it is following.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
If I have to choose one, I would prefer to have a VPS with good RAM specification.

Because sometimes I need to load different applications for testing at the same time.

So for me, the optimal amount of RAM should be in a range of 4 GB to 8 GB. Smile

Perfect VPS would be two cores, 4 GB ram, 1GB network port, and has to be in the USA. most of my servers are dedicated and are converted to VPS containers. so client support is important but not a deal-breaker. As long as the server and network are reliable I am a happy camper.
Vladimir S.
BladeNode.com | Shared Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting

(02-24-2021, 08:54 PM)LightDestory Wrote: So, let's start, this specific thread is about the hardware specification:
  • CPU vCore, tell us which is the optimal vcore count for you followed by a explanation (it can be technical or just an approximaiton)
  • RAM, tell us which is the optimal RAM amount for you, general use speaking followed by a explanation (Don't think about a HIGH-END task like huge game servers! For that case-usage the answer is simple: A LOT!)
  • Storage, tell us which is the optimal amount of storage and WHICH technology it should be for a general use followed by a explanation
  • Network Speed, tell us how much the DL link and UP link should be for a general use followed by a explanation
Specification such as geo-location and bandwith/month are not related because it is a business-part not related to the bare hardware!

Okay!.. In the abstract, the perfect VPS is a fully functional VPS meeting the targeted load without hitting any bottleneck!..

There you have it!.. So what that means?... It means that there is no such thing as the ideal (/or perfect) VPS without first stating what it should be doing and how much load it must sustain. In other words, you need to know :
1-> what's your use-case (which will determine the min. hardware specs on which you can get things running),
2-> how large is your audience (which will determine the load, hence the max. hardware needed to get stuff done.)

In my own case with my P4V-sponsored VPS, I'm using it for a GIS project that involves a series of sub-projects all concurring at meeting my Web-mapping needs, instead of using GMaps or Bing or etc... That means I have my own custom-made mapping engine generating my webMap and my own locally-running mapping services (a geocoding service, a reverse-geocoding service, a GeoIP service, a routing service, an elevetion service etc..)

The most critical piece in all that for me to claim that I do have a stand-alone mapping service is when I can generate -then cache- my own tiles on-the-fly, which I can do (thanks to the OSM project) but I won't ever have that opportunity given the resources needed for that (in terms of CPU, RAM and storage.)

Thus instead of targeting the entire Globe, I've instead limited the project to my regions of interests, the rest is served via the publicly available web tiles: OSM, ArcGIS, Bing etc...

When you're doing GIS projects, you deal with monster PostgreSQL databases managed via PostGIS and huge GeoTIFF files, hence the ultra-high storage capacity needs and high I/O rates requirements.

CPU and RAM needs are through the roof thus you need as much of them as you can get. Ditto for the network part.
VirMach's Buffalo_VPS-9 Holder (Dec. 20 - July 21)
microLXC's Container Holder (july 20 - ?)
VirMach's Phoenix_VPS-9 Holder (Apr. 20 - June 20)
NanoKVM's NAT-VPS Holder (jan. 20 - ?)
Starting with CPU cores, I have two on my VPS 9 Atlanta which more or less serves my purpose but I honestly prefer 4 for faster compilation. For example, I've to wait an hour and a half for the application to compile even while compiling a debug build.

Coming to memory, this is something needed. cmake needs about 2Gb of memory per thread of compilation so yeah the 8 GB RAM of VPS 9 Atlanta definitely is appropriate. However, when compiling a static build cmake hogs RAM so it needs more than 8GB with all other applications running on the VPS hence I have a 8GB swap too.

About storage, 100 GB on VPS 9 Atlanta is more than enough for me, about 50 GB is actually required and ~80GB when temp files are being created and I'm compiling, signing binaries and all that. I prefer SSD because some of my applications have a lot of frequent disk usage hence it's good if the I/O is large.

Network is another important factor. I'd prefer 1 Gbps DL and 500 MbPS Up. I get ~800 Mbps DL and 400 Mbps Up, on VPS 9 Atlanta so that's near about perfect. https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/b2a09...d44fe11598
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
Pages (2):

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting