arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wordpress and cookie notice bootstrap
Every owner of a website that uses cookies is obliged to inform their users about it. This follows from the telecommunications law.

The new cookie policy applies equally to online stores, news sites and blogs. Also applies to NGO sites. You must inform about cookies if: your website collects, for example, statistics of website traffic for Google Analytics or Gemius, and especially if it displays advertisements based on information contained in cookies.

For wordpress have been createdmany plugins to display a banner with information about cookies.

I would like to recommend two of them. One simple and the other more extended. Both are nice to look. First of them it's Cookie Notice for GDPR by dfactory. Second is GDPR Cookie Consent by WebToffee. Both o them are WPML and Polylang compatible.

Cookie Notice installation:
1. In Wordpress go to Plugins->Add new, then search and install Cookie Notice plugin.
2. Activate plugin. A new cookie notice option will appear in the settings window.
3. You can add link to Privacy policy page. You can choose one of your sites or add custom link.

[Image: cn1.png]

4. You can give to your users Refuse cookies and Change of decision option 

[Image: 88717d96cd.png]

In option you can change position or style your banner.
After thet, your cookie notice bootstrap will be look like this:

[Image: cn3.png]

GDPR Cookie Consent:
1. In Wordpress go to Plugins->Add new, then search and install GDPR Cookie Consent plugin.
2. Activate plugin. A new cookie notice option will appear in dashboard.

[Image: cn5.png]

3. You can customise bar and button.
4. In Non-necessary Cookie tab you can enable or disable Non-necessary Cookies

[Image: 886d40ef9b.png]

5. Your banner will be look like this:

[Image: cn4.png]

6. By clicking cookie setting you can enable or disable Non-necessary Cookies by plugin:

[Image: 8865745eac.png]
I recommend both plugins. Personally I use Cookie notice.
Just wondering since i am not much into web and in its development, why we need to to inform users about this? i mean which information we are saving from user through cookies?
@Decent12: That's due to the same European law GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) Act and it's points (the same act, as a consequence of such Hostlease and HostDoc collect an ID card of their user before assigning a VPS). Pretty much it requires companies to share with their users in full, what information they're collecting about them and such others. Compliance with GDPR means you'll have to clearly state all that including what cookies you store in the user's browser as well as your privacy policy. Basically all companies in EU are obliged to do that.

Due to this, at HelioHost too, we state clearly what cookies we store and have a well-defined Privacy Policy, even that HelioHost isn't based in the EU.

Personally, I'd say that I agree with this. Users have a right of knowing what measures do the company they're dealing with takes to protect their privacy. That'll to a great extent, help in controlling websites which store unauthorised cookies into your browser. I mean all this is done to make the web, safe for browsing and dealings as such.

Now again to mention, I don't quite agree with that policy if GDPR wherein users are supposed to share their ID card so that the companies know who is it they're selling their products to. But again others will argue that if companies are sharing the way they're operating openly, why don't they take a preventive measure by verifying that person whom they're dealing with, which is quite a valid argument.

However, I've a counter argument for this too. Companies are only revealing the way they operate, however you're asking the users to share their ID card, something that's completely private to an individual. Afterall you never know who's the person behind the screen who's asking you to share your ID? That's a mutual trust, but there are enough fake companies nowadays to break that trust. Maybe the person is a notorious criminal, who have malicious intentions. Who knows?

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(09-23-2019, 03:52 PM)Decent12 Wrote: Just wondering since i am not much into web and in its development, why we need to to inform users about this? i mean which information we are saving from user through cookies?

Totally what came up for me too, like what the heck.  Who made this rule, and why do we have to jump on the bandwagon?  Like why if a panel of somebodies of EEC made up some rules for Europe do those who are not from Europe need to follow those rules?  Also why isn't any one questioning all of these rules. Why be sheep?

That's what I like about @Pacific Spirit.  He wouldn't accept the GDPR ruling about VPS owners needing to provide picture ID with addresses etc. He took this "rule" to court (in the Netherlands) and said that that was in violation of his clients' privacy.  AND he is from Europe. AND the court ruled in his favour. So why aren't other people doing the same thing, instead of saying, Oh we now have a new rule, we have to make changes to our Websites.  We need a plugin.

Personally I can't stand those cookie pop-ups.  They're in my way most of the time.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(09-24-2019, 09:51 PM)deanhills Wrote: Totally what came up for me too, like what the heck.  Who made this rule, and why do we have to jump on the bandwagon?  Like why if a panel of somebodies of EEC made up some rules for Europe do those who are not from Europe need to follow those rules?  Also why isn't any one questioning all of these rules. Why be sheep?

That's what I like about @Pacific Spirit.  He wouldn't accept the GDPR ruling about VPS owners needing to provide picture ID with addresses etc. He took this "rule" to court (in the Netherlands) and said that that was in violation of his clients' privacy.  AND he is from Europe. AND the court ruled in his favour. So why aren't other people doing the same thing, instead of saying, Oh we now have a new rule, we have to make changes to our Websites.  We need a plugin.

Personally I can't stand those cookie pop-ups.  They're in my way most of the time.

I guess cookies are mainly used to log stuff that can help tune that website to your needs, an example being google shows Ads which are more related to your recent searches on stuff like Ebay/Amazon, and in some instances, Google is even listening to your microphone and trying to understand what you recently talked about to give you ads related to that subject(I am not even kidding, this actually happened with me), and most companies feel that their customers should know about this but that cookie message has become such a norm that most people just click the X button and be done with it lmao
]
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(10-20-2019, 07:16 AM)Honey Wrote: but that cookie message has become such a norm that most people just click the X button and be done with it lmao
]
That's exactly what makes me unhappy.  People just going with the flow, and through that, without the intention probably to do so, create a herd mentality.  You don't question whether anything is really necessary to do, you just do it.  The result with just doing whatever comes your way, like clicking on a cross, you just make those guys more powerful, so they in the end dictate to you how you should run your Website, or behave on the Internet.  It just chips away the freedom of moving unrestricted on the Internet, little bit by little bit.  So much so that people who don't even live in Europe feel they have to follow EEC media rules.  Why? And why aren't the questioning those rules?
Terminal
(10-21-2019, 09:32 AM)deanhills Wrote: That's exactly what makes me unhappy.  People just going with the flow, and through that, without the intention probably to do so, create a herd mentality.  You don't question whether anything is really necessary to do, you just do it.  The result with just doing whatever comes your way, like clicking on a cross, you just make those guys more powerful, so they in the end dictate to you how you should run your Website, or behave on the Internet.  It just chips away the freedom of moving unrestricted on the Internet, little bit by little bit.  So much so that people who don't even live in Europe feel they have to follow EEC media rules.  Why? And why aren't the questioning those rules?

Exactly Dean. This is something that attracts me here. Well honestly, as I'd said in my Robotics thread also, the mentality of people is that which has to be changed, if you're looking to bring about an actual change. So much so, the people themselves have to change, you em can't take they're brains out, reset the code and transfer it again. It's not Arduino!

The mindset is what decides it all, I know robotics and this is completely disjoint still, their essence does bear similarity considering the present world scenario. People are so used to ignoring things that come their way that half of them won't be able to say what was that notice about, which they just crossed out.

I'm not running a fool's show here that I'll be just taking sides with one point. I have solid proof to justify what I say. Take for instance my club's website. Our principal says, either you should properly display on your site, the privacy policy, or consider not making a website at all. Why? Doesn't the links in the footer to the T&C and PP suffice? Why do I forcibly need to disturb users with those useless on screen notifications which I know anyways won't be read. Those who care even a unit percent about their privacy, will search for the link and be obliged to read it. Again, a simple yet relevant example of EU's influence on those out side EU.

It's not that I don't want to put in hard work to display that notice. It that's takes a few minutes to set up. My point is - why should I spoon-feed my visitors. There problem is that things are nowadays being so automated and available on demand anytime, anywhere that people have stopped thinking. Mostly they enjoy the fruits of other's creation, don't consider working on their own. This simple gesture has led to authorities misusing their capabilities in order to force us to comply with GDPR. Simple bcuz people have forgotten the art of questioning nothing else, very sorry to say.

I dunno if things continue the way they are, whether we'll be ever able to solve this problem. None can change your, it's you who gotta change.

And one more thing that I was reminded of while reading your reply Dean. In a previous thread concerning a similar topic you'd said Dark Web is a place where these authorities can't creep in. Well I can't help agreeing, it indeed is, and I'm proud to be associated there.

Regards,
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
(09-23-2019, 03:52 PM)Decent12 Wrote: Just wondering since i am not much into web and in its development, why we need to to inform users about this? i mean which information we are saving from user through cookies?

to make sure the user know that the website keeps track of the user by using cookie . some and most cookie is used not only for storing login so you dont have to login everytime but to track user for advertisement and data mining sake
Terminal
humanpuff69@FPAX:~$ Thanks To Shadow Hosting And Post4VPS for VPS 5
i think this is a deplorable side effect of the good intentions of those people involved in making these rules. with the increasing effect of unsavoury elements on common people over the internet growing, i can totally understand why people would want to ask for id. but the unfortunate consequence is that it confers none of the securities it is meant to provide and instead serves to annoy and in cases even as far as hamper privacy of individuals.
i would still like to ask that we should remember that still it is in EU where they charge big corporations for trying to subdue competitive business culture and own everything or for trying to surveil and influence people. at least they are much better there than in Asian region where you won't have to look hard to find business monopolies.

also it is easy to blame them. but when we think about it, have we any alternative ? we have these problems of false propaganda and extremist influences among others heinous ones. what do we do about them ? online freedom is all good. i want that too. but how do we ensure safety and justice online ?
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(10-24-2019, 09:58 PM)rudra Wrote: also it is easy to blame them. but when we think about it, have we any alternative ? we have these problems of false propaganda and extremist influences among others heinous ones. what do we do about them ? online freedom is all good. i want that too. but how do we ensure safety and justice online ?
I get this, however can't help but wonder how much this has been exploited by all of those miraculous scripts and whatever that people are paying lots of money for, just to find that in the end - possibly they are protected - but at the price of these "protectors" getting into their registries and creating conflicts that they don't care are happening. Microsoft updates are classic examples of creating updates that delete or add things to your registry without understanding that that is happening as they have this very veiled way of presenting their updates to the extent you have to Google what they're trying to do.

I really don't feel protected any longer. I can't move from one city to another without Google creating problems for me to get into my mail account. Probably high time I change that too.

But again, the topic - probably going off-topic - is that people aren't questioning what they are doing and those guys making all of the bucks know this. And it gives them the power including Google to tell me I can't get in my mail box. Probably time to see whether I can live without Google.
Terminal
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
09-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Manal

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting