arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a great formula aware search engine
Thumbs Up 
i have found an awesome search engine that works on art of problem solving and stack exchange sites mainly ( i guess). it is capable of recognising your equation and finding it in posts over there. i quite enjoy using it now.

this helped me immensely since i found it in a comment on math stackexchange. so i am posting about it here to let everyone know and also hopefully give the engine a bit of a boost.

here is the link

https://approach0.xyz/search/

it is on linode ! Big Grin
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
Very helpful,
Btw do you have a suggestion site that can search for physics formulas?
Terminal
Solo Developer
That is amazing search engine, I have searched some things and I also received some related maths problems from stackexchange. One draw back I see is from mobile entering in search box is quite difficult. Making it mobile friendly will attract more users.

Thank you  Sweet

(06-10-2020, 09:11 PM)rudra Wrote: i have found an awesome search engine that works on art of problem solving and stack exchange sites mainly ( i guess). it is capable of recognising your equation and finding it in posts over there. i quite enjoy using it now.

this helped me immensely since i found it in a comment on math stackexchange. so i am posting about it here to let everyone know and also hopefully give the engine a bit of a boost.

here is the link

https://approach0.xyz/search/

it is on linode ! Big Grin

Nice find! It’s quite impressive that it’s able to recognize formulae and give you search results with what you actually need.

I find that google tends to struggle more and more whenever you try to search for something insanely specific. And that includes specific formulae where it rarely every gives the results I’m looking for.

I do have to say, however, I’m not exactly sure how reliable aproach0 is. The last thing I’d want is to get so used to it and dependent on it that I get in deep trouble if it experiences any downtime when I need it. But only time will tell how well it fares uptime-wise.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157

that is your problem. never use readily available solutions to do your problems. always try very hard to solve yourself. next... just read a few lines of the solution and think. use the solutions as hints and analyse why you couldn't solve yourself and how you can generalise three solution and add to your toolbox.

if you use it this way, then there is never anything to be afraid of. because you are not going to be dependent on it.

that is the way to learn.

(06-30-2020, 06:08 PM)Littlemaster Wrote: .... One draw back I see is from mobile entering in search box is quite difficult. Making it mobile friendly will attract more users.

i use it on my mobile all the time. without any problem. you just set desktop mode. i have nothing to complain regarding that. i would like if they expanded the sites they crawl and also added a physics formula search.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(07-01-2020, 09:39 AM)rudra Wrote: @ikk157

that is your problem. never use readily available solutions to do your problems. always try very hard to solve yourself. next... just read a few lines of the solution and think. use the solutions as hints and analyse why you couldn't solve yourself and how you can generalise three solution and add to your toolbox.

if you use it this way, then there is never anything to be afraid of. because you are not going to be dependent on it.

that is the way to learn.

i use it on my mobile all the time. without any problem. you just set desktop mode. i have nothing to complain regarding that. i would like if they expanded the sites they crawl and also added a physics formula search.

Well this took an unexpected turn...

No one ever said I was going to depend on it to begin with... for a matter of fact, in the modern world, you can’t depend on technology fully considering that you won’t have said luxuries in an exam.

Obviously with studying, you need to get yourself to a level of self-dependence when it comes to solving anything. Because you can’t look stuff up mid-exam (obviously). 

I don’t know how you do your studying, but here’s my style:

Step 1: attempt to do the question by yourself. If you fail to do so, move to step two.

Step 2: look up the answer (but NOT the working).

Step 3: Now you have both the question and answer. Now you have to think and figure out the steps it takes to get that answer.

Step 4: profit.

Simply just staying there killing braincells, looking at the question, trying to figure the answer out won’t get you anywhere.

Now you understand why such a search engine is great to have? And having something reliable is essential in this case since you don’t want it to go down when you need it the most.

Not everything nowadays has to do with cheating. And here we go again with the assumptions that I’ve already made several posts ranting about.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157

i didn't imply cheating. i simply meant don't just yield easily as you said above. i don't like teaching for this very reason. they want solutions and suggestions. marks n ranks being the target.

"Simply just staying there killing braincells, looking at the question, trying to figure the answer out won’t get you anywhere."

it could not be any more wrong !!

let us talk about math... take it as if you are doing research. try to find ways to attack the problem or what might have helped. it is not just memorising. it is internalising. it should not be just amassing weapons. it should be organised with good strategy.

if your attitude ever infected the mathematicians, we would never progress in math. lol

also this worry of yours,

"
I do have to say, however, I’m not exactly sure how reliable aproach0 is. The last thing I’d want is to get so used to it and dependent on it that I get in deep trouble if it experiences any downtime when I need it. But only time will tell how well it fares uptime-wise."

very pointless. how dependable is our life ? did you notice that ? we always die with enough time....

this is not critical thinking.

having such an amazing resource even for a period of time is much better than not having it.

Also they have their old code base on github. may be you could set that up for your personal use.
(07-01-2020, 02:15 PM)rudra Wrote: @ikk157

i didn't imply cheating. i simply meant don't just yield easily as you said above. i don't like teaching for this very reason. they want solutions and suggestions. marks n ranks being the target.

"Simply just staying there killing braincells, looking at the question, trying to figure the answer out won’t get you anywhere."

it could not be any more wrong !!

let us talk about math... take it as if you are doing research. try to find ways to attack the problem or what might have helped. it is not just memorising. it is internalising. it should not be just amassing weapons. it should be organised with good strategy.

if your attitude ever infected the mathematicians, we would never progress in math. lol

also this worry of yours,

"
I do have to say, however, I’m not exactly sure how reliable aproach0 is. The last thing I’d want is to get so used to it and dependent on it that I get in deep trouble if it experiences any downtime when I need it. But only time will tell how well it fares uptime-wise."

very pointless. how dependable is our life ? did you notice that ? we always die with enough time....

this is not critical thinking.

having such an amazing resource even for a period of time is much better than not having it.

Also they have their old code base on github. may be you could set that up for your personal use.

Thinking about it, we’re not getting anywhere arguing on which learning method is best.

Why?

Well everyone is different. People have different ways of understanding things... what might work for you won’t necessarily work for me. And so on.

The fact that you can just figure things out by simply looking at the question and thinking is great, and you do have an advantage here since that’s what the current education system is based on.

However, I have unfortunately struggled to comprehend anything (even in mathematics) using this method. It’s just not for me. My way of understanding is as I’ve described above. Sometimes I even need a “jump start” with the working, you know things such as narrowing down what methods to use, and so on. 

This is exactly why I struggle to understand in class, but do much better when i self-study. 

To conclude, it really depends on the person. People have different ways of thinking. So there really is no wrong way here. It all depends on what works best for you, and in that case you do what suits you the most.

And it’s great that they have their source code on github, for sure allows anyone to self-host their own version for redundancy. I don’t know whether ill ever use it though... only time will tell.
That search engine looks amazing, initially their domain drew me back as Its an ultra cheap domain but the search queries don't take forever and It converts math text into actual formulas, that's great!

Usually I never use these kind of solvers but sometimes when someone asks u a question and u don't have enough time to solve it urself this can be a great tool.
Thanks to ShadowHosting and Post4VPS for my VPS 5!
(07-19-2020, 08:59 AM)Honey Wrote: That search engine looks amazing, initially their domain drew me back as Its an ultra cheap domain but the search queries don't take forever and It converts math text into actual formulas, that's great!

Usually I never use these kind of solvers but sometimes when someone asks u a question and u don't have enough time to solve it urself this can be a great tool.

awesome ! i also use it to find other solutions. you would be amazed how many different approaches can be used on the same problem you solved yourself. that can only enrich your mind. and this has always been my passion. i love to solve something in every possible way and try to see how the various methods relate/ don't to each other.

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting