arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
default OS reinstall plan - kvm vps users
(08-17-2020, 01:09 PM)rudra Wrote: Thanks everyone for your replies.

@sagher

thanks. Now regrding your responses,
a) why are you using 14.04 ubuntu lts still ? is it really necessary for you ? like a requirement for something you use ?
b) what question 2 want to find out is if you are using your storage near to its capacity ? In other words, how much free space you have ?
c) this is to know more about your response to question 4.

so you dont use ssh to access your system ? Then how do you use it ? I mean you gotta use ssh to login at least once to setup vnc ?

Thanks

Dear bro. as i already told that i am not a expert of linux or even neither a developer. i am just a learner of very initial stage.
i use vps for some personal works which never conflict to any vps rules.
yes i usr putty ssh to connect to my container also in past i use VNC to see my VPS desktop visuals.
i am using an average disk space. but i do like to create some space for backup my data on weekly basis.
using an old distro is for a program which unable to run on new one. but if you know any idea to upgrade OS without loss of all running and installed repo, will be interesting for me.
i wish VPS-9 add virtualizer CP   in there container.  as in VPS Plans mentions "Ask Admin" for control panel. so i request from Admins to please provide me a Control panel.   Heart   Angel
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
Thanks @sagher
you are using putty to connect over ssh. thanks for taking time to reply. I am not going to include ubuntu lts 14.04 in my experiments. So I am happy to let you know that you wont have to try or install anything. Thank you !

@sohamb03
thanks man ! can you please tell me how you configure that script in your case. Where do you store your backup and what commands do you use exactly when you need to reinstall the system ?

It will surely be very instructive for me and might as well present as an option for others in your situation.
thanks a lot...

How do you plan to recover your system when say something makes it inaccessible through ssh ?

Thank you !!
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(08-18-2020, 08:45 AM)rudra Wrote: Thanks @sagher
you are using putty to connect over ssh. thanks for taking time to reply. I am not going to include ubuntu lts 14.04 in my experiments. So I am happy to let you know that you wont have to try or install anything. Thank you !

@sohamb03
thanks man ! can you please tell me how you configure that script in your case. Where do you store your backup and what commands do you use exactly when you need to reinstall the system ?

It will surely be very instructive for me and might as well present as an option for others in your situation.
thanks a lot...

How do you plan to recover your system when say something makes it inaccessible through ssh ?

Thank you !!

@rudra Welcome. i just like to ask one thing. whenever i do login via ssh i got this message .

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
New release '16.04.7 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

is it safe to run this command?
(08-18-2020, 09:55 AM)sagher Wrote: @rudra Welcome. i just like to ask one thing. whenever i do login via ssh i got this message .

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
New release '16.04.7 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

is it safe to run this command?

It depends on what software(s) you are running. you said you run something that runs only on ubuntu 14.04 lts. if that is true, then I wouldn't . but if the software runs ok on later ubuntu releases and it is just you who is fearful of updating then dont be. i would take a backup and run upgrade..

that do-release-upgrade is for upgrading ubuntu.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
(08-18-2020, 12:52 PM)rudra Wrote: It depends on what software(s) you are running. you said you run something that runs only on ubuntu 14.04 lts. if that is true, then I wouldn't . but if the software runs ok on later ubuntu releases and it is just you who is fearful of updating then dont be. i would take a backup and run upgrade..

that do-release-upgrade is for upgrading ubuntu.

Hi @rudra.  Sagher has good reason to be fearful as VPS 9 has a not so good history with upgrading Ubuntu. He is speaking from very painful experience. If Ubuntu 14.04 works for him, then he is wise to stick with it.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
oh... hahahaha

@deanhills

thanks for reminding me about that. i don't remember what the exact problems were though. but yes. now i can see why he is afraid.

though right now, i know of multiple ways that i could use without going through that 'do-release-upgrade' and get a latest Ubuntu installed. I can even make it multiboot without vnc and boot to different installs too from within command line.

i am claiming all that with the assumption that the problem cropped up from something within the image / installs and that the kvm host is totally ok.
(08-18-2020, 11:04 PM)deanhills Wrote: Hi @rudra.  Sagher has good reason to be fearful as VPS 9 has a not so good history with upgrading Ubuntu. He is speaking from very painful experience. If Ubuntu 14.04 works for him, then he is wise to stick with it.

@deanhills Thanks to hear voice of my heart and remember how suffer i am to do this in past. specially when you don't have CP. and you are beginner too. so i still think to compromise with it hence i remove the program which required old destro with old PHP and etc ..... because i am beware to loss my access as already i loss one of my vps which never accessible to me and no one healp me because i dont have Cp or serial console. just an ip.
Cry
@rudra ... I followed a tutorial to install REAR and store the created ISO image on a server via NFS.

I can't outline the commands better myself, this tutorial does it all. https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-rear-...-7-rhel-7/ In fact all other tutorials outline how to create the ISO and store it on a USB, this is probably the only one which outlines use of NFS to create the backup and remotely store it. I've a shared SSH account on a server with a hell lot of storage from my friend, which ofc I use for storing bulky stuff and that's where this ISO image is stored too.

In case of a hardware or an SSH failure, all you have to do is boot from the custom ISO image that you will have. There will be a option for "REAR recovery" as the tutorial outlines, and you need to go for a automatic or manual backup depending whether you have the exactly same system configuration, or something different. I'd always go for the manual one, in case there's a need to. In our case, you just hand over this ISO image to the Admins here and they will do the rest.

Hope that helps! Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
@sohamb03

so basically, you NEED TO CONTACT STAFF, here or at your webhosts, to boot from the backed up iso and restore it.

What I am going to do is enable a kvm VPS owner to install Debian, Ubuntu, Centos (these are the only ones I plan to work on) as and when they need, ALL BY THEMSELVES.

It will not back up user data. that is the responsibility of the user. they will have to setup cron or manual or whatever to compress /home/user and /var/www/html or wherever they have their important data and send to cloud or whatever storage they use.

This will simply free a kvm user who doesn't have control panel vnc access from needing to bother the staff for OS reinstalls.

Also,
can you change your partition scheme or can you dual/multi boot your kvm vps without that control panel vnc ? Those are doable too.

One will be able to pull latest files directly from the distribution servers and reinstall the system.

It will use cron , say every 5 minutes or whatever one will set it to, and check a predefined url for their signals. now say the url is a static page on github that they control. one can write predetermined signal codes on the page when they lose access to the system and it will either reset ssh or reinstall a fresh system.
This is just something fun that I plan to include. I guess none will have to use it after they get the hang of handling iptables and ssh properly.

Finally, this script wont be of help for disk or hardware failure.

this is simply to enable a kvm vps user to reinstall system independently of the templates available on the host CP. on their own. and with their own choice of partition scheme..

though i dont want it to give me too much trouble, so i will not set up any user interaction for choosing partition schemes. they will have to edit the script to do that.
The Linux flavour I am currently using is Ubuntu. The version is 16.04 LTS, which is a bit old, because I started using it on this VPS for more than 3 years and I am lazy updating it. Smile

And my system is very basic, so there is no spare / reserve space on harddisk for system recovery, no VNC access for emergency reboot to a live environment, no change in HDD partition scheme etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting