arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please help select pc hardware for 4k editing
Hello everyone,

wish you all a very happy Diwali. yes, even to those who had to run to Google for its meaning. 

now i wish for you guys to suggest me the lowest price graphics card that will be enough for a smooth 4k edit. But wait, please let me clarify some things.

lowest price  means lowest in canada. A very dear friend is coming to visit India in March, next year.

i know that only evga graphics cards have international warranty. but for that one will have to send to Taiwan or Germany from India. that is expensive. no other cards even do that. but i don't care much.

by 4k edit, i mean a smooth real time playback to check the effects and edits while editing. i don't care about fast enough rendering. I'm talking about normal bitrate 4k. not top of the line red camera 4k bitrate.

some say 1050ti, some say gtx 1650 and some other told me to go for rx 580 8gb. another friend suggested i wait for the next  release. i am confused. though i will probably go for nvidia cards, for cuda cores and for low temp.

i don't game ever and no. I'm not going to. except may be civilization and limbo.

don't worry about processor. it is ryzen 3600 or something similar. ram will be Corsair vengeance lpx cl 18 3600mhz or cl 16 3200 mhz, 16gb at the least.

please suggest away and tell me why.

oh. i expect responses from personal experience ( even "friends say" will do ).
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
I have never edited video on 4K environment but I got suggested from my friends and AMD Vega and newer are good GPU for this kind of job.

Unluckily I can't provide you a better help due to my own inexperience on this particular subject.
Thanks to Post4VPS and Bladenodefor VPS 14
thanks LightDestory,

but I'm sure they used to edit 4k on normal computers before vega came. so that may not be the cheapest solution. as mentioned, I'm looking for cheapest solution. i don't care for final rendering time. all i want is a real time playback and monitoring experience during editing.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.
So you're looking for a cheap entry class 4K video editing GPU for your system? The GTX 1050Ti indeed seems to be a hot topic in this terms and indeed a RX 580 is a great alternative. Considering you have a good CPU (3600 should do very well) and a lot of RAM... don't forget to actually get the proper storage type for 4K editing. A HDD might actually be too slow for a smooth timeline scrolling when editing.

I'm curious what kind of software you want to use for editing though. And to dail in better, what's the exact budget for the GPU? You mentioned March 2020. In that case I'd wait longer until I would make a decision. Prices might drop and you might be able to afford even better cards for the same budget.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
thanks @"Hidden Refuge"

I was waiting for this actually. Tongue

i have woefully little experience with graphics cards among all the components one usually finds in a modern pc. cause I dont play games. But Now that I am reading a lot of articles on neural nets and AI in general and preparing to do some more formal study in math or stat, i want to tinker with the codes available on github. That is where the cuda cores are going to be needed. To train on moderate amount of data.

Another use might be that i may want to post some videos that i shoot on my phone or a nikon camera in 4k. So that will take basic editing. I am thinking adobe premiere pro. THough i believe it will be 1080p almost always. cause i dont even have 2k monitor or have any plan to buy anytime soon , owing to the high cost here.

I just had this idea of asking for a cheap 4k editing card which might be actually pretty good for full hd editing and conversion or rendering and also my main wish to tinker with neural net codes.

Now i went on to olx and checked prices. It seems i will get awesome deals on 1050 ti 4gb or 1060 6gb cards. including even 2 or 3 years warranty. so i think it will be much better to buy used than import from canada. cheaper and safer too.

Now i decided on 6gb cards or if i can get my hands on, then any cheap 8 gb cards. cause big amounts of fast vram working with the cores help a lot in training on big data sets.

So , to reiterate .. are you saying that 1050ti is good enough for full hd video content editing ?

edit. i know that they dont have 6gb 1050 ti.. Tongue
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with 4K Video Editing but one thing for sure I know you shouldn't go for 1050ti because it is a very old graphic card buying that card at so late I would say is not recommended , I would say save some money for 1660.
Thanks to Host4Fun and Post4VPS for my VPS 1.
As demanding as it kay seem, nowadays 4K editing doesn’t really require extremely high end equipment.

I suggest going with a more budget build. Even a gtx 980 should do if you think about it. But don’t cheap out on the processor though, get yourself a decent processor as well, doesn’t have to be the most expensive.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
who in their right mind would buy a gtx 980 ? have you checked their price new or even used ? you will get much better and newer cards with that money. anyways, thanks.

i am using online free services for now.
(11-01-2019, 08:24 AM)rudra Wrote: who in their right mind would buy a gtx 980 ? have you checked their price new or even used ? you will get much better and newer cards with that money. anyways, thanks.

i am using online free services for now.

I figured since they’re quite old, they’d be a but more affordable. But upon further research, I guess I was wrong.

May I know what newer cards cost the same as a gtx980? Would love to upgrade my pc to something better haha.

And don’t cloud services result in the disadvantage of long upload and download times, specifically for 4K video which is extremely heavy?
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
olx is an awesome place to find nice deals on graphics cards. but graphics cards are also the item which gets least reduction in price there. 1060 or 1070 are awesome for fullhd gaming or 4k edit or tinkering with neutral nets and you can find them on olx at a price ranging from 9000 to 18000 with some warranty for your peace of mind. never buy without checking extensively under load and also make sure you have some warranty. best deals come when people upgrade to top level cards soon after buying a mid-level one and are in a hurry to sell it off. especially people who have lots of easy money somehow; but that's obvious.. just my observation.

1070 has 8gb and will be able to handle mid to moderately high level experiments with big data sets. 1060 has 6gb vram.

the awesome thing about rtx cards is their ai enabled cores and they can be used with 16 bit chunking of data with enough precision. that effectively doubles the capacity of ram compared to normal 32 bit operation. we are talking about mainly matrix multiplication here... huge numbers of such operations.

1650/1660 may come within this range too and will be slightly faster than 10xx.

Google collaboratory or collab is a great free option to practice python and ai coding in python. though it is limited to python cores through jupyter notebooks. but it's awesome and you can use free and free gpu accelerations too. can use gdrive and git ub with it and even use big data sets directly from online..kaggle etc. it just has some limitations but they can be worked with.

finally, no. I'm not insane enough to do 4k online.

thanks
Pages (2):
lockThread Closed 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting