arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hey guys . in list vps 1 have vswap ram but my vps dont have . If vps 1 have vswap please enable it for my vps . i need more ram for my vps :Sadty
link ; https://post4vps.com/compare/#1,3,6,7,8,...4,15,17,18
Thanks Post4VPS
The VPS 1 uses KVM virtualization. You could create vSwap file on your own.

Not sure what OS you are using but for exact commands creating the necessary vSwap file, you could easily search from Google.

Remember that on hardware virtualized servers you have full control over the OS environment. vSwap is a term coming from OpenVZ and is used there to describe virtual memory (usually OpenVZ will use real RAM but slow it down artificially and when there is not enough RAM it will also use the host node disk space). KVM or other hardware virtualization has normal Swap which uses disk space to create a slow memory extension. You can create your own Swap partition as long as you have enough free disk space at any time.

Which OS are you currently using?
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
(08-05-2019, 04:50 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Remember that on hardware virtualized servers you have full control over the OS environment. vSwap is a term coming from OpenVZ and is used there to describe virtual memory (usually OpenVZ will use real RAM but slow it down artificially and when there is not enough RAM it will also use the host node disk space). KVM or other hardware virtualization has normal Swap which uses disk space to create a slow memory extension. You can create your own Swap partition as long as you have enough free disk space at any time.

Which OS are you currently using?

Thank you very much for the guidance.
I use debian 8 * 64 bit.
You mean I have to provide my hard drive space to get extra ram?
Thanks Post4VPS
Swap is not RAM! Swap is using disk space to create virtual memory that is used when you run out of real memory. Nothing more than that. It helps to fight low RAM but because HDDs and even most SSDs are slower than real RAM the performance of your system will take a hit when Swap is used in a extended period of time and amount. The CPU usage will spike up to high values because the CPU has to wait for the slow HDD/SSD to process the data in this virtual memory.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/swap-part...-on-linux/ Wrote:When a multitasking operating system runs out of physical memory, it is unable to start new processes or allocate more memory to existing processes. To solve this problem, a special block of space on the local storage (often the hard drive) is set aside to act as a temporary holding area for processes that aren’t currently running. The OS “swaps” the inactive process out of memory and on to the hard disk. This frees up memory for new work. When the inactive process becomes active again, it will be swapped back from the local storage to the memory. This procedure is known as swapping.

And generally Swap on SSDs is a bad idea as it will shorten the lifetime of a SSD.

A guide for Debian 8: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...n-debian-8
(08-05-2019, 08:53 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: Swap is not RAM! Swap is using disk space to create virtual memory that is used when you run out of real memory. Nothing more than that. It helps to fight low RAM but because HDDs and even most SSDs are slower than real RAM the performance of your system will take a hit when Swap is used in a extended period of time and amount. The CPU usage will spike up to high values because the CPU has to wait for the slow HDD/SSD to process the data in this virtual memory.

And generally Swap on SSDs is a bad idea as it will shorten the lifetime of a SSD.

A guide for Debian 8: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...n-debian-8

I really thank you.
you are the best . Can I send you a private message and i qusetion about vswap if i had problem?.
Thanks Post4VPS
Sure. Go ahead. Message me if you need help with anything. I'll see what I can do.

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting