arrow_upward

Poll: Which OS do you like and/or use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Windows 7
31.94%
Windows XP
1.39%
Windows 8/8.1
4.17%
Windows 10
41.67%
Any Linux Distro (Please mention)
15.28%
Other (Please mention)
5.56%
Total
72 vote(s)
100%

* You voted for this item.

Pages (11): Jump to page 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which OS do you use and which OS do you like?
Lubuntu is same like Microsoft windows starter for low specification PC's and notebooks.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(11-27-2018, 05:07 PM)sagher Wrote: Lubuntu is same like Microsoft windows starter for low specification PC's and notebooks.

That is indeed what it is aimed at - but it's screaming fast on modern hardware. I actually prefer the simplicity and the lack of frills. Toss it on a system with 16GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU and it's wonderfully responsive. There's no hesitation with menu openings, or anything of that nature. With that much RAM, it's actually fine as a live-distro, just booting from optical media.

I love me some Lubuntu! Y'all can keep that MATE, Unity, Gnome, etc.

Alas, I'm eventually going to probably end up switching to LXQt when they make me. I'm likely to take the path of least resistance.
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!
I use macOS for now, and mostly windows 10 pro for gaming. I do not have a preference but seriously prefer the fluidity of the OS itself. Its amazing how everything just works together
No one knows what the future holds, that's why its potential is infinite
(11-27-2018, 03:35 PM)KGIII Wrote: Start here:

https://lubuntu.me/

There's an official Ubuntu spin for pretty much all needs. It just works and the support is easy.

Sounds brilliant - particularly since I was looking for an alternative for an OS for my next hardware - I've become completely anti-Windows from a security point of view. Like from my experience with the loads and loads of security updates we have to endure and not all of them being happy with one another - like creating conflicts with applications - I'd have been looking at an alternative that is more secure. Maybe lubuntu will do that for me.

Am definitely going to try it out within the next year. I imagine one would then purchase one of those cheaper DOS desktop computers without Windows and just start from scratch with the kernel. Probably going to be a great learning experience - everything from scratch and the roots up. Cool! Cool
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(11-28-2018, 09:35 AM)deanhills Wrote: Sounds brilliant - particularly since I was looking for an alternative for an OS for my next hardware - I've become completely anti-Windows from a security point of view.  Like from my experience with the loads and loads of security updates we have to endure and not all of them being happy with one another - like creating conflicts with applications - I'd have been looking at an alternative that is more secure.  Maybe lubuntu will do that for me.  

Am definitely going to try it out within the next year.  I imagine one would then purchase one of those cheaper DOS desktop computers without Windows and just start from scratch with the kernel.  Probably going to be a great learning experience - everything from scratch and the roots up.  Cool!  :cool:

Alright...

Go to that website and download the ISO. Now, burn it as an image - a bootable disk.

Stuff it it your DVD drive. Reboot. Press the appropriate key to boot to optical disk. (You're system will tell you to press ESC or whatnot to select boot media, it flashes by quickly.)

Boot to it.

Wait - 'cause it's going to load the ENTIRE operating system into your RAM. Don't worry, it's good at it.

Now, poke buttons.

There's no need to build anything from the roots up. It's a full, complete working operating system. You don't have to do much of anything. It's got Firefox already installed!

Anyhow, you can test it. I almost guarantee that it runs on your hardware just fine. You don't install drivers. They're already in the kernel. Your WiFi works out of the box.

When you see how easy it is, you'll maybe want to consider clicking install. First, save your files that you want to keep and then just trash the entire disk, write new partitions, and it does all this with a point and click installer. LOL

It's that simple. Linux is REALLY easy. People think it's hard, but it's just the kernel. It's a part of the OS - so you end up with some great "distros" like Lubuntu. It just works. Your monitor's resolution probably won't even have to be adjusted - it'll even probably recognize your printer.

Just boot to the live disk and you'll understand. It's a GUI, right off the bat. If it's not a GUI, keep waiting - it'll take it a minute to load into RAM. Then, a desktop pops up. Click the obvious buttons.

You can try it right now. It won't do anything to your harddrive unless you tell it to install. I promise. Even if you click install, it won't do anything until you tell it what to do. So, you can't just click once and screw up. You have to click quite deliberately to install it - and it's multiple clicks and settings.

It's EASIER than Windows. (Well, it is for me. I suppose if you're a Windows Admin that might not be true.)

You can even "burn" it to a USB thumbdrive with a little something called uNetBootIn - or a dozen other apps. You don't even need to use a "terminal emulator" (command line). You can. You don't need to. You can point and click.

If you don't like LXDE, try one of the other official spins! (I love LXDE! It's screams on modern hardware.)

It's much, much easier than you're probably thinking. You'll be comfortable within 2 weeks and exploring all sorts of new things within a month. If you hadn't used Windows first, you'd be comfortable in just a couple of hours. You'll have to unlearn some bad habits!

You know how you update software?

I update *all* the software on my system with "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"! Then, I press Y and Enter. I don't even read what the updates are! I just know it does it. I haven't paid attention to them for years.

If you don't want to do it that way - it pops up a window and asks you! It's a GUI! Hell, it even kind of looks like Windows.

Hold on... Watch this!

https://i.imgur.com/7tGvqaZ.png

That's my desktop, right now. That's where I do my work. There's NOTHING there you don't already understand or can't Google in five seconds. Learn the official Ubuntu forums and get the Ubuntu stackexchange. You're done. You now have infinite support. You now have people EAGER to help you.

You won't need much help. You really don't. Linux is EASY.

Antivirus? Why? Firewall? Nope... Got a hardware device, but I still don't have unnecessary ports open. If someone writes a virus for my operating system - I have to type in a password to install it! Hell, I probably would have to compile it to install it!

However...

Use the operating system that *best* helps you get your work done. Don't use Linux because other people do. If you do use it, use it because it's the right choice for you.
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!
Last week, for the first time I used Ubuntu from a school I worked as a guest teacher, I like the OS, children used it for gaming, and the game graphics were good, the OS loaded fast and shown as professional.

Thank you  Sweet

@Littlemaster Mostly school use Ubuntu as their Linux OS for their computer rooms as it have a good GUI. Even here in our office System Administrators also used Ubuntu, though I haven't tried playing games. Also Linux is lightweight than Windows so expect it to boost more faster than Windows OS.
I made a backup of my Windows installation from my desktop and moved it to my Ultrabook. My desktop now runs a lightweight Linux distribution based on Ubuntu with LXQT and OpenBox. I configured everything nicely and installed the Numix theme.
I spoke to the devil in Miami, he said everything would be fine.
Linux is stable, smooth, and perfect. I like it because it can be customized (Not like Windows)

I used CentOS for my server and Mint in my Laptop

I try to use Hackintosh today
My vote goes to Macintouch OS. For webhosting is this the best solution, for gaming I vote voor IOS on my iPad. Good and quick performance.
Pages (11): Jump to page 

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting