arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When your PC makes a BEEP Noise!
Hello together

I would like to add a few comments to this thread in order to shed some light on this subject. At no point I'm trying to irritate anyone of the members. I'm only trying to help a bit more with troubleshooting beep codes.

Let's start with the first section:
Quote:if 1 beep its - video card
  • This is not necessarily true because even if many mainboard companies try to come together and unify the beep codes it can still be a sign for a different issue.
  • Many mainboards actually create one beep signal when they do a successful boot.
  • One beep with other factors will play the actual role for the warning signal. If you receive one beep but no video signal it could be true that the video card is not being detected. However if the mainboard company has a different use for one beep it could mean something else, too.
  • Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard.

Another section:
Quote:if 2 to 3 beeps
  • So is it two or three beeps? You have to decide. Beep codes always have a defined length, order and repeat cycles.
  • Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard.

Now to the last section:
Quote:if it beeps continuously - it the processor
  • Many mainboards have a feature to send a warning signal when a fan fails. In this case the mainboard will beep continuously. So if a monitored fan fails it will beep. Is a monitored fan unplugged it will beep, too.
  • Many mainboards also have the ability to send a warning signal when the CPU reaches a critical near fatal temperature. In this case the mainboard will usually also beep continuously.
  • A continuous beeping with other factors is playing a role in terms of what the warning signal means. So if a system boots up to OS with a continuous beep it most likely cannot be a CPU failure. It could be overheating or a broken fan. Systems with broken or undetected CPUs will not post at all and therefore will not boot at all.

I always mention "Always considering looking up the correct meaning of beep codes in the manual of your computer or mainboard." and this is very important. With every different mainboard company the beep codes could mean something else even if these companies try to unify their beep codes and post codes. So check the manual of your mainboard or the computer for the right meaning. There is always a defined length (short or long beep), order (something like short short short, long, short <- just an example) and a repeat cycle (the same beep code could be repeated three times before going silent to signal something special or other things <- just an example). This combination is what is helping to identify the issue. You have to listen carefully and compare it with described codes in the manual.

I can share my experience about differences in beep codes. I bought a Gigabyte AMD AM3 mainboard in 2011 and built my first system ever with it. I did something wrong and got a beep code. After trying around I asked someone and they told me to look into the manual for the beep code. I did so and found out that the beep code meant "no video card detected" as I was really not getting any video signal. Fast forward to 2016. I bought a Intel mainboard from Asus for a i5-6500 CPU and wanted to build a new system. Unfortunately I didn't properly check the mainboard before installing the CPU. It gave me a beep code. I looked it up in the manual and it was saying "CPU failure or CPU not detected". The crazy thing was that the beep code order, length and repeat cycle was exactly the same as of the mainboard from 2011 that was saying "no video card detected".

So here we have two different mainboards from different companies and from different years with the same beep code standing for two totally different things. I even verified this by looking at the manual of the old mainboard again and listening to the beep code over and over. And I even verified it was really a CPU issue after removing the CPU and checking the socket properly like I should have done before starting to build the computer. Some of the socket pins were actually bent really badly and thus the CPU couldn't make full connection to the mainboard socket.

So I'm very sorry to break it to you but this thread has no value when doing troubleshooting of post issues and beep codes. Sorry and again I'm not trying to attack anyone here. Partially the content might be true but there are a lot of things to consider than this three described codes and due to differences with companies they could mean something different on each mainboard.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]

Messages In This Thread
When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by HarisHayat - 04-22-2018, 05:53 AM
RE: When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by adgod - 06-09-2018, 05:28 PM
RE: When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by Mashiro - 06-09-2018, 09:29 PM
RE: When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by Mashiro - 06-09-2018, 09:48 PM
RE: When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by Mashiro - 06-09-2018, 10:04 PM
RE: When your PC makes a BEEP Noise! - by TrK - 06-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting