arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any suggestions for protecting electronic hardware from power outages?
Any suggestions for protecting electronic hardware from power outages?  Are you experiencing outages in your country?

In South Africa there is only one large corporation that provides electricity to the country.  This year among all other parastatal scandals they discovered massive corruption and wastage of funds at the electricity supply commission.  The most recent infrastructure that was being built and counted for the total electricity supply was faulty, because of bribery and corruption with using different suppliers to supply building materials, the specs didn't all fit, so the stations have to be continuously fixed, which means down time and loss of electricity supply.  Bottom line, of all months of the year, they all of a sudden decided in December to do load shedding.  Which means they work out a time table by which all of the regions in the country have down times for electricity at different times.  They said in the press it was due to start in December, but to our annoyance it started yesterday.  I'm not pleased, particularly since the area I live in has been hit with a time table right in prime time TV and computer use.  7:00 to 9:30 p.m. However I don't mind as long as I have advance warning so I can turn off my computer hardware ahead of the down time. Depending on the stage of load shedding, we have one down time slot for the day, and for phase 2, two. We're on phase 1 for now with 2.5 hours in one slot.

Anyway - bigger worry for me is the effect it has on my electronic equipment with unexpected down time when they are changing the phases with little warning - like they did on 30 November.  Are there other members like me who are living in communities with irregular supply, and what do you do to secure your equipment for unexpected power outages?
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Dynamo

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting