arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End of OpenVZ 6 & Post4VPS VPSs
Hello everyone!

Welcome to my little info and discussion thread about the end of life for OpenVZ 6 and what this means for the OpenVZ 6 VPSs provided at Post4VPS by the sponsors.

Let me first list the VPSs here that are using OpenVZ 6:
  • VPS 3
  • VPS 7
  • VPS 9
  • VPS 11
  • VPS 12

Taken from https://post4vps.com/Announcement-VPS-Plans

In roughly 3+ months OpenVZ 6 (RHEL 6 based) will reach its end of life cycle (Nov 2019). This means that it will be no longer developed and updated by the OpenVZ developers. No bug fixes, no security updates and certainly no feature updates.

Reference: https://wiki.openvz.org/Releases

The OpenVZ 6 kernel 2.6.32 is a really old kernel although of course the OpenVZ developers have kept it somewhat up to date (however still lacking all features and bells of newer kernel versions). Pretty much all new Linux distributions are no longer supported by OpenVZ because of the kernel. Current working OSs are all almost also EOL (end of life).

Using OpenVZ 6 (still using it rather) is a rather dangerous venture nowadays. These days there are more and more security issues than in all the years before. Flaws in hardware that are hard to fix (Intel Spectre and other issues) and where even software fixes is workaround (if it is even available for the used OS!).

In my humble opinion every provider still using OpenVZ 6 should be long moving over to either OpenVZ 7 or a different virtualization like KVM, XEN or similar (something that is of course still being maintained and supported). However you as a user should also take precaution and prepare to move over to better solutions. I recommend KVM because hardware virtualization is simply better than software nowadays (my two cents).

What does all of this mean for Post4VPS? Will sponsors drop VPSs running OpenVZ 6? Will the eventually replace them with something better? Or will the worst happen and they will continue using a dead technology and risk to get hacked? What will you do?

P.S.: You probably should be concerned.

Share your thoughts, concerns and ideas. Please be serious and if you don't really have anything to contribute don't post. We have enough low quality posts these days already.

Thank you for your understanding.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
lockThread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
The End of OpenVZ 6 & Post4VPS VPSs - by Mashiro - 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
06-06-2021, 05:33 AM
Last Post: fChk
11-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting