arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs?
(12-18-2019, 03:16 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Isn’t the Microsoft Security Essentials just the old version of Windows defender? I forgot to mention this, but I’m on windows 8.1. So Windows defender comes pre-installed.
Yes it is. At one time I had an issue with my Windows 7 updates, on my desktop computer. Actually confirming my theory that a huge number of the updates in those upgrade packages are really updates for Windows 8 and above - some of which is junk - like a cookie cutter version upgrade package. Windows Defender got loaded, without me even giving permission for it. So it never appeared on my program list for deleting it. But at the same time even when disabled, it seems to have had conflict issues. One of the many reasons I stopped updates completely. Not an ideal situation for sure and I guess one of these days I'll have to change this. I've been postponing that moment since 2017.

(12-18-2019, 03:16 PM)ikk157 Wrote: As for malwarebytes, as I’ve previously mentioned, i think not having real time protection is an advantage in my case. This lets me run it whenever i want, instead of having it constantly using up the very few resources my laptop has with its real time feature. Have you found the scans to be effective?
I actually liked the real time Malwarebytes, as compared with anti-virus software, Malwarebytes was completely unintrusive. It never interfered or felt right in my face, and didn't feel as though it was hogging special resources. Every time when the free version of Malwarebytes wants one to update it, then it seems to go to the new try-out mode, which one gets for two weeks. One can disable it, but it's always a nice experience so I then let it stay for the two weeks try-out period until it gives up on me not upgrading to premium.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

Messages In This Thread
RE: What’s the best FREE antivirus for low end laptops/pcs? - by deanhills - 12-19-2019, 05:21 AM

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting