arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
default OS reinstall plan - kvm vps users
@sohamb03

so basically, you NEED TO CONTACT STAFF, here or at your webhosts, to boot from the backed up iso and restore it.

What I am going to do is enable a kvm VPS owner to install Debian, Ubuntu, Centos (these are the only ones I plan to work on) as and when they need, ALL BY THEMSELVES.

It will not back up user data. that is the responsibility of the user. they will have to setup cron or manual or whatever to compress /home/user and /var/www/html or wherever they have their important data and send to cloud or whatever storage they use.

This will simply free a kvm user who doesn't have control panel vnc access from needing to bother the staff for OS reinstalls.

Also,
can you change your partition scheme or can you dual/multi boot your kvm vps without that control panel vnc ? Those are doable too.

One will be able to pull latest files directly from the distribution servers and reinstall the system.

It will use cron , say every 5 minutes or whatever one will set it to, and check a predefined url for their signals. now say the url is a static page on github that they control. one can write predetermined signal codes on the page when they lose access to the system and it will either reset ssh or reinstall a fresh system.
This is just something fun that I plan to include. I guess none will have to use it after they get the hang of handling iptables and ssh properly.

Finally, this script wont be of help for disk or hardware failure.

this is simply to enable a kvm vps user to reinstall system independently of the templates available on the host CP. on their own. and with their own choice of partition scheme..

though i dont want it to give me too much trouble, so i will not set up any user interaction for choosing partition schemes. they will have to edit the script to do that.
Sincere Thanks to VirMach for my VPS9. Also many thanks to Shadow Hosting and cubedata for the experiences I had with their VPSs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: default OS reinstall plan - kvm vps users - by rudra - 08-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting