arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickest way to backup and restore WordPress Sites
(11-11-2018, 07:55 PM)NomadicSingularityArray Wrote: Whatever happened to the good old: pull a copy of the site files and of the database, upload the files to new server, restore database on new server and adjust configurations of site for new database? That approach will not require any additional applications or plugins to be installed and also only takes a couple of minutes up to 15 minutes (at most probably with exceptions).

Eitherway great article.

Haha thanks for reading it .... I used to use the system you mentioned .... count the number of steps you mentioned with the old system?

1. You have to create a new instance of WordPress
2. You have to create a new database
3. You then have to import a copy of the database with phpdirectadmin
4. If you're changing the domain name you have to edit the database - so have to do that with phpdirectadmin too
5.  You then have to update your admin-config.php file in the new instance of WordPress
6. You have to upload the files to the new server

Compare this with the all in one migration plugin:

1. You need to create a new instance of WordPress
2. You then install the plugin
3. You then Import/Upload the backup directly from your computer
4. And save the Permalinks twice

THAT'S IT!!!!!

1. You don't need to create a new database
2. You don't have to import a copy of the database
3. You don't have to update your config file
4. You don't have to upload files to the new server - you don't have to transfer any files.
5. You don't have to fiddle with the database to update it with the new domain info - all of that is done for you.  So it's a perfect way of effortless migration of domains as well - you only need to change the name servers at the domain registrar.

Backup is EASY with the plugin and since there are so few steps the possibility of mistakes are much less too.  You create the backup with one click and then select where you want the backup to go - I download it to my computer but there are a number of other options.  Restore is just as easy.  You just upload the backup from your computer or choice of device.  No need to access the server or to fire up FileZilla.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting