arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you know of old tech mobile phones that will work with US 4G technology?
(12-06-2018, 12:20 PM)deanhills Wrote: I'm not signed up to that culture .... maybe yet. Smile

I don't usually give advice about these sorts of things. I very seldom tell people what they 'should' do. I've actually worked pretty hard at eliminating the word 'should' from my vocabulary. (Another topic entirely, but an interesting one - I think.)

From about 1991 until 2007, when I sold my business, I was a slave to my phone. I was always on the road and, as the business owner, I needed to be connected all the time. As phones became smarter, I upgraded and went with them. I'd often use them to tether to a laptop, so that I could be connected back when hotels charged outrageous prices for internet connectivity.

After I sold, probably around 2010, I stopped caring. I just stopped turning my phone on.

These days, I do own a smart phone - but it's just some Windows phone. I actually like it, 'cause it works for me. I use no apps that didn't come with it. At most, I make phone calls and send text messages. If I'm really bored, I'll browse on it.

Most of the time, I don't even know where my phone is - or even if it is charged.

I don't even have voice mail enabled. You can't leave a message. I make them turn that feature off. I'll see someone called and call them back when I'm good and ready to call them back. The ringer is never turned on, unless I'm expecting a call that I want to answer.

Basically, I stopped being a slave to my phone. I stopped being obligated to answer my phone. I don't even reply until I feel like it - and I may never feel like it. The people who know me in real life all know that I'll get back to them when I'm ready to.

It took some time for people to adjust, but they got used to it. They'll ask why I never called them back and I'll truthfully tell them because I didn't feel like it.

It's a nice feeling to have. I quite enjoy life better without my phone bugging me.

A smart phone increases the temptation to give the phone attention. It is a compute device in your pocket. It's a communication device that's always there. It's a great temptation. If you do go with a smart phone, I hope you learn where the volume buttons are and how to turn the damned thing off.

I realize that, for some, turning their phone off isn't much of an option. I doubt that's the majority. Then, there are some people who only have a phone for internet access and have no other choice due to financial reasons or even due to lack of reliable electricity. So, for them maybe a phone is a necessity. Though, I'd like to hope they can at least turn it off while they're on a date or when they're eating dinner.
Happily sponsored by Shadow Hosting & Post4VPS!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
08-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Last Post: tryp4vps
07-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Lampard

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting