arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Docker on OpenVZ
(09-27-2020, 06:19 AM)fChk Wrote: @fitkoh
When you deploy your services via Docker on your VPS you consume more resources than it's necessary for those same services to be deployed natively/directly on your VPS, and that only make sense if you're just experimenting with Docker and are willing to incur that penalty OR if you already stack your services as a set of docker images that you migrate from place to place for deployment, of course at the price of that said penalty.

It's for this latter reason -portability- why Docker make more sense in the Cloud environment than in a VPS; and this is why most PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) make use of them via various Orchestration mechanisms.

The second objection is the use of a control panel for Docker!! but this is personal and has to do with my bigger objection to Control Panels (CP) in general.

You can control Docker via a very limited set of shell commands with the added benefit of pinpointing to the immediate source of error when something goes wrong (and it does very often when you're just setting things up.)

Regarding point 1 (consumption of resources) I've noticed that too. For myself, I used docker for the first time only two months ago. I guess I'm late to the party. So I'm very much in the experimentation and figure out what works phase of things. I have 2 vps running a few docker images each, and they each idle at about 20-30% ram consumption and negligible load. I'm sure a standard shared hosting setup would run it more efficiently, but since I paid for the resources I don't mind to use them extravagantly as long as the resource consumption doesn't put me in the "abuser" category.
Regarding point 2 (use of control panel) I understand and share some of your same sentiments; but sometimes a control panel is useful, if you can avoid mucking things up with all the extra. Control panel isn't really the best term to describe wordops. It's more of a script, or a collection of scripts, to facilitate docker setup. There's no gui or buttons to click, it's all handled through the command line. It basically shortens those "few commands" docker needs to a single command. It's a simple matter to see what wordops is doing behind the scenes: the log files provide you with each command entered as well as its output - which is an excellent learning tool for noobies such as myself; and maybe slightly more entertaining than reading docs.
(09-27-2020, 07:59 AM)Hidden Refuge Wrote: - OpenVZ 6 will always be at kernel 2.6.32.xxx regardless of the OS installed in the container.

I don't even know all of them as I never had a OpenVZ 7 VPS and probably will never have one.
This would mean that it's definitely OVZ7
I have a micro vps that's openvz that I use just for backups, which isn't too painful, and as long as it renews at the current rate I'll probably keep it.

Messages In This Thread
Docker on OpenVZ - by fitkoh - 09-25-2020, 11:46 PM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by phoenixwolf - 09-26-2020, 03:37 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fChk - 09-26-2020, 04:47 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fChk - 06-06-2021, 05:33 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by Mashiro - 09-26-2020, 07:19 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fitkoh - 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by LightDestory - 09-26-2020, 09:16 PM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fitkoh - 09-26-2020, 10:01 PM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by Mashiro - 09-27-2020, 07:59 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fChk - 09-27-2020, 06:19 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fitkoh - 09-27-2020, 08:32 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by Mashiro - 09-27-2020, 08:43 AM
RE: Docker on OpenVZ - by fitkoh - 09-28-2020, 04:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
11-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: deanhills

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting