arrow_upward

Pages (3):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What things do I need to learn to manage my own VPS?
I often buy a managed VPS and my hosting provider managed it at all for me, sometimes I have sent tickets when my hosting got problems. I would like to know what things do i need to learn to be able to manage my own VPS, I would have a VPS from scratch, learn how to setup and configure everything on it to have a fast hosting server. How? anyone shoots me a guide?
The best option is to learn unix/linux commands or if you are not familiar with commands install a webserver panel like VestaCP(free) or cPanel(paid and require high resources). There is nothing like scratch VPS till you know about Linux CLI to manage the websites hosted on your server.
[Image: a3ad5cfbf5.png]
[Image: trk1]
(08-18-2016, 06:14 AM)Albertwu Wrote: I often buy a managed VPS and my hosting provider managed it at all for me, sometimes I have sent tickets when my hosting got problems. I would like to know what things do i need to learn to be able to manage my own VPS, I would have a VPS from scratch, learn how to setup and configure everything on it to have a fast hosting server. How? anyone shoots me a guide?

You can find a lot of useful tutorials here: https://post4vps.com/forum-26.html
its simple to manage your own maintained vps.

just buy a cheap vps at a leb (lowendbox.com) server with 128 - 256 mb ram 1 core.
to learn manage it your self.

start with installing and updating your programs and the linux/windows (try to avoid windows trust me when you know about linux windows is crap)

by centos:

you can install webservers by your self with nginex mysql named (bind9) or apache davecot/postfix.

Quote:simply run these commands:

yum install nginex -y
yum install phpmyadmin -y
yum install davecot -y
yum install apache -y

and look on the internet for detailed installation

you can get easystarted with that by installing a panel (such as ispconfig, vestacp, kloxo-mr, centos webpanel and etc)

and update your server for security patches by doing:

yum update (for installed progs security)
or
yum upgrade (for a complete new version with added features or removed due to security)

-----------------------
ubuntu:

you can install webservers by your self with nginex mysql named (bind9) or apache davecot/postfix.

apt-get install nginex -y
apt-get install phpmyadmin -y
apt-get install davecot -y
apt-get install apache -y

you can get easystarted with that by installing a panel (such as ispconfig, vestacp, and etc)

and to maintain updates upgrade:

apt-get update (simple package updates to maintain security)
apt-get upgrade (just set a completly new version to the pakage)

i hope this wil help you consider your own managed vps
if you need more help sure to keep posting here im always happy to help.

perry
(08-18-2016, 12:58 PM)perryoo11 Wrote: its simple to manage your own maintained vps.

just buy a cheap vps at a leb (lowendbox.com) server with 128 - 256 mb ram 1 core.

start with installing and updating your programs and the linux/windows (try to avoid windows trust me when you know about linux windows is crap)

by centos:

yum install nginex -y
yum install davecot -y
yum install apache -y

you can get easystarted with that by installing a panel (such as ispconfig, vestacp, kloxo-mr, centos webpanel and etc)

or
yum upgrade (for a complete new version with added features or removed due to security)

-----------------------
ubuntu:

you can get easystarted with that by installing a panel (such as ispconfig, vestacp, and etc)

perry

Well, at least give correct commands. You wrote nginex, wheras it should be named nginx. Same for davecot (= dovecot). I recommend you to take a look over at the DigitalOcean community, it holds a lot of tutorials for server management.
(08-18-2016, 08:21 PM)RickB Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 12:58 PM)perryoo11 Wrote: its simple to manage your own maintained vps.

by centos:

yum install nginex -y
yum install davecot -y
yum install apache -y

or

-----------------------
ubuntu:

perry

Well, at least give correct commands. You wrote nginex, wheras it should be named nginx. Same for davecot (= dovecot). I recommend you to take a look over at the DigitalOcean community, it holds a lot of tutorials for server management.

It was just an idea i thought it was nginEx (i never heard about it that much) like engine.

Good tuturials are foundable on int
(08-18-2016, 06:14 AM)Albertwu Wrote: I often buy a managed VPS and my hosting provider managed it at all for me, sometimes I have sent tickets when my hosting got problems. I would like to know what things do i need to learn to be able to manage my own VPS, I would have a VPS from scratch, learn how to setup and configure everything on it to have a fast hosting server. How? anyone shoots me a guide?

You need to be familiarized with the basic commands and may I know what Linux OS would you like to used?
I want to use CentOS on my VPS. Not sure if I am proficient enough with commands. Also there is a trouble choosing between Nginx and Apache. Apache has lot of guides and support.
Thanks  @Post4VPS

(09-02-2016, 07:44 PM)meetdilip Wrote: I want to use CentOS on my VPS. Not sure if I am proficient enough with commands. Also there is a trouble choosing between Nginx and Apache. Apache has lot of guides and support.

Nginx has a lot's of guides too, you can check on google, and Nginx is lightweight than Apache.
I used Linux is the very first thing you need to learn. Just enough things to install a hosting control panel and other badic things. Good thing is you can easily find a free vps to learn these. Also there are more than enough tutorials you can find in Google.
Pages (3):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
07-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: fChk

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting