arrow_upward

Pages (2):
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello guys,
After some months i will get a new pc so my current laptop will be available for small things like video editing/playing videos/playing music/discord/browsing Facebook so i really dont know if i shall use Windows anymore or i can shift to Linux finally because i dont want the laptop for games or something.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPAQ-PRESARIO...SwzCFeZ8Bm
This is my laptop but with 3 gb ram not 4 and i think it have lower storage.
Recommend me a good Linux software to use for these 5 things i mentioned above.
(03-13-2020, 11:29 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: Hello guys,
After some months i will get a new pc so my current laptop will be available for small things like video editing/playing videos/playing music/discord/browsing Facebook so i really dont know if i shall use Windows anymore or i can shift to Linux finally because i dont want the laptop for games or something.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPAQ-PRESARIO...SwzCFeZ8Bm
This is my laptop but with 3 gb ram not 4 and i think it have lower storage.
Recommend me a good Linux software to use for these 5 things i mentioned above.

If windows is working fine for you, I don’t understand why you’d want to change to a linux distro. Don’t get me wrong, many people do prefer linux distros over Windows, but it’s mainly based on their needs and most importantly their personal preference.

As to answer your question: I suggest going directly to Ubuntu desktop. It seems to be the most popular option when it comes to desktop linux distros. It also is feature packed.

If you’re looking for something extremely light weight, go with Raspbian Desktop. Has all you need out of the box but is super light!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
I would also suggest to use Ubuntu but maybe not the Ubuntu as it comes with the rather heavy GNOME desktop and window environment. There are other forks of Ubuntu that use L X D E and XFCE and are much more easy on resources and performance.

Lubuntu is a fork that uses L X D E/LXQT as their desktop and window environment. Xubuntu is a fork that uses XFCE as their desktop and window environment. So both of them are much better in terms of resource usage compared to Ubuntu with GNOME.

I would stay away from Kubuntu or any other Linux distribution that uses KDE as KDE is even more heavy than GNOME. Other alternatives might be MATE or Cinnamon but these might be around the area of GNOME or a bit better but mostly not as light as L X D E or XFCE.

I hardly believe you can do video editing unless you really only edit light video on it and render it somewhere else on a machine with more power. The machine barely has any power for rendering. For browsing, office and stuff such as watching Youtube or media it is ok I guess if the stuff you watch is SD or 720p. 1080p well... might do it but your screen is only HD ready so running FHD is a waste of space and resources. 2K and 4K are absolutely out of the range of this device.
[Image: zHHqO5Q.png]
@ikk157 , i got bored from windows because i see its too heavy on that pc. it lags alot.
@'Hidden Refuge' yea i will edit videos from my new pc too but i mean i can use this laptop as a spare one if im already using my pc somewhere or im not at home.
(03-14-2020, 07:43 AM)youssefbasha Wrote: @ikk157 , i got bored from windows because i see its too heavy on that pc. it lags alot.
@'Hidden Refuge' yea i will edit videos from my new pc too but i mean i can use this laptop as a spare one if im already using my pc somewhere or im not at home.

Have you tried running Windows 8.1 on it? I’ve got an even much lower speced laptop (2GB RAM, single core intel atom) and it works amazingly with windows 8.1. Windows 7 was a bit too heavy for it, and windows 10 was thw worst. But something about Windows 8.1 that just makes it run so good!
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
@ikk157 i tried windows 8.1 pro and i had a very bad experience with it, the laptop mouse was moving like a turtle
@'Hidden Refuge' can you provide me download link to Ubuntu with XFCE (Xubuntu)
@youssefbasha

Honestly I thought you would have found it yourself given that I provided the names and that there are lot of resources available to find something quick and effective.

Here you go: https://xubuntu.org/download
@'Hidden Refuge'
Im trying a new software so in this situation i cant trust google, i only trust someone who recommended it because google got much fake sites.
Thanks anyways

So an update,
I downloaded the Xubuntu and used rufus to make my usb bootable (and to extract iso) but when I check the boot menu i see 3 options
1. CD
2. Notebook Hard Drive
3. USB Hard Drive
I choose USB and i get an error (it adds me to something like a terminal)
Terminal
Boot failure : No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:
I searched and got something
I have to rename these folders/files
isolinux --> syslinux (this is a folder)
isolinux.bin --> syslinux.bin
isolinux.cfg --> syslinux.cfg
But tried again and got the same error.
@youssefbasha

Your notebook is probably legacy only, right? I mean it probably has a normal BIOS and no EFI or UEFI?

How did you create the USB thumb drive? MBR mode for Legacy or MBR/GPT for UEFI? Might be that you created the USB thumb drive using the wrong method for your machine.

Is the USB thumb drive big enough and in good state?

Otherwise I have no idea. I have created so many different USB thumb drives for OS installations based on all kind of Windows versions, many Linux distributions including Xubuntu and even some Android or ChromiumOS based OSs but never experienced this kind of issue.

USB HDD is in most cases the right option during boot. It basically refers to USB thumb drives but also to other USB storage devices such as HDDs and etc.
Well, i have kingstone 16 gb.
And here is my setup that answers your questions

https://cdn.firex.host/ss2614_IMG_20200316_212149.jpg
https://cdn.firex.host/ss2346_received_1...65427.jpeg
PS: i tried both NTFS and FAT32
Pages (2):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
12-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: deanhills
09-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Last Post: sagher

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting