arrow_upward

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best uses of your old computer
(07-02-2020, 06:32 PM)deanhills Wrote: I would use an old computer for experimentation like you would use a VPS.  Try out new programs and experiment with different OS. If you're not an expert yet with Linux, use the old computer for hands on experience.  Perhaps you could also try out different Linux Desktop configurations in preparation for a future where hopefully Windows will start to disappear.

I absolutely agree with doing that. For a matter of fact, that’s how I got started with Linux. I tried out different distros, different scripts, different programs and so on. I played around, got myself comfortable and familiar with the command line, ran into issues and learned how to fix them, and so on.

It’s a great way to introduce yourself into linux. Many people think that they have to read through many tutorials and guides... but trust me, nothing, absolutely NOTHING, beats using it hands on and playing around. The more you break stuff, the more you learn, and hence the better you become at it! 

For a matter of fact, I didn’t use my “old computer” because all i have is my one and only laptop from 10 years ago which remains as my only Windows-compatible system to this day. So I utilized dual booting instead to venture into the linux world.

Many people also recommend trying stuff out on a local system before doing so on a VPS. But I completely disagree. There are many differences environment-wise between a local system and a VPS... what may work on one won’t necessarily work on another. And what has to be done in a certain way in one won’t necessarily be achievable with the same way on another. So you really need a VPS to learn/test stuff for a VPS.

In addition, I doubt that the move from windows to linux would be a thing... what will most likely happen is the movement to mobile in the future (which I’ve already done... I literally do everything on my iPhones and iPads now... people who say they can’t do much simply dont know how to use them.)
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
Excellent post @ikk157 Really like it when members share hands on experience like this. Cool

(07-02-2020, 07:21 PM)ikk157 Wrote: For a matter of fact, I didn’t use my “old computer” because all i have is my one and only laptop from 10 years ago which remains as my only Windows-compatible system to this day. So I utilized dual booting instead to venture into the linux world.
Am curious. Is this the device for which you had changed to Windows 8.1?

(07-02-2020, 07:21 PM)ikk157 Wrote: Many people also recommend trying stuff out on a local system before doing so on a VPS. But I completely disagree. There are many differences environment-wise between a local system and a VPS... what may work on one won’t necessarily work on another. And what has to be done in a certain way in one won’t necessarily be achievable with the same way on another. So you really need a VPS to learn/test stuff for a VPS.
Thinking about this again, I agree with you. VPS is a completely different experience and setup as a desktop computer.

(07-02-2020, 07:21 PM)ikk157 Wrote: In addition, I doubt that the move from windows to linux would be a thing... what will most likely happen is the movement to mobile in the future (which I’ve already done... I literally do everything on my iPhones and iPads now... people who say they can’t do much simply dont know how to use them.)
Although I agree completely that mobile has taken off and developments will favour it more and more in the future, for Web development I think desktop or laptop will always be a more comfortable way to work on Web pages.

I'm very happy to sit in front a desktop computer to read my posts and work on them. I also feel more secure using a desktop computer to mobile, particularly Android.
Terminal
Thank you to Post4VPS and VirMach for my awesome VPS 9!  
(07-02-2020, 07:50 PM)deanhills Wrote: Excellent post @ikk157  Really like it when members share hands on experience like this. Cool

Am curious.  Is this the device for which you had changed to Windows 8.1?

Thinking about this again, I agree with you.  VPS is a completely different experience and setup as a desktop computer.  

Although I agree completely that mobile has taken off and developments will favour it more and more in the future, for Web development I think desktop or laptop will always be a more comfortable way to work on Web pages.

I'm very happy to sit in front a desktop computer to read my posts and work on them.  I also feel more secure using a desktop computer to mobile, particularly Android.

Yup, that’s the one I’ve switched to Windows 8.1 Pro. It came with Windows 7 starter, hated it and ran like crap... switched to Windows 7 professional still hated it and ran like crap... a few years later windows 8 came out, switched to that and for once my laptop actually ran beautifully... then came windows 8.1, also ran beautifully when i switched to then... and finally came windows 10, switched to it and instantly hated it... it ran the worst with windows 10, and all of my friends’ and families systems running windows 10 also ran like crap. Switched back to windows 8.1 and here it is running beautifully, which is impressive considering that the laptop is 10 years old!!!

The biggest benefit of desktops/laptops is the fact that they have large screens compared to mobile. That’s why people tend to like them the most for web development.

However, in the modern day and age, phones and tablets are getting bigger and bigger. Heck, the iPad can now give you the benefit of a computer while still maintaining the excellence of a mobile device. For a matter of fact, I’ve done all of my development and everything to do with VPSs on my mobile devices... never on desktops/laptops!

Another factor is what you’re used to. Many people stay with desktops/laptops because they are simply used to using them on a daily basis... so using them for almost everything (like you are) makes them feel at home compared to doing the same stuff on mobile which they haven’t done frequently enough to be comfortable with. I personally dont see myself going through the effort of sitting down with a desktop/laptop just to do things such as checking the forum, checking emails, so on. My iPhone does all of that on the go and on-demand. Much more convenient to be honest.

But again, it really depends on what you’re used to. It’s the same concept on why older people have a less likely chance of using smartphones.
Thank you Post4VPS and VirMach for providing me with VPS9! But now it’s time to say farewell due to my studies.
i disagree with you making the old pc a gameserver. because for example minecraft server needs a lot of spec to run it without getting stuck or something. also, the main issue i thought about your ideas was electricity im sure no one will leave his computer 24/7 turned on.
Thank you Post4vps and BladeNode for vps 6!!!
Computer board with P2 or P3 is now useless i also have many CPU's + mother boards. and the only smart way if you really like to do something with those pc's you just pullout all electronics into body and use the body as a locker. because it has strong lock system with key. the old floppy drive and cd rom drive body is use to make a new MP3 or MP5 player and you can adjust it into your car.
2nd option if you have P4 you just attach a good HDD and a multi CCTV CAM PCI card and use your pc as a NVR or DVR.
The power supply of PC is use for many many purposes. just if you have a technical mind.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(07-09-2020, 08:16 AM)sagher Wrote: Computer board with P2 or P3 is now useless i also have many CPU's + mother boards. and the only smart way if you really like to do something with those pc's you just pullout all electronics into body and use the body as a locker. because it has strong lock system with key. the old floppy drive and cd rom drive body is use to make a new MP3 or MP5 player and you can adjust it into your car.
2nd option if you have P4 you just attach a good HDD and a multi CCTV CAM PCI card and use your pc as a NVR or DVR.
The power supply of PC is use for many many purposes. just if you have a technical mind.

I like the idea of re-purposing the old system/parts into something that’s not even computer-related. 

Depending on the looks of the old parts, they’d make great decorative pieces as well! I’ve seen people filling up an entire wall with motherboards, and boy does it look absolutely gorgeous!

You can even make a “whale of fame” of CPUs, RAM chips and other components. If done right, that will for sure impress your guests. Heck, you can even do it in places guests won’t usually visit, such as your bedroom.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “P2”, “P3” and “P4”... are these just the intel pentium generations? (Since that’s what I got looking it up).
Yeah, I agree with @deanhills. An old PC can be used for experimenting with new applications. It can also be used for gaining experience with Linux. (whichever distro you prefer)

Besides if your ISP does allow, you can transform it into a web server with a static IP. And even if they don't allow port 80 and 443, you can still host applications on other non-common ports. Smile
Sayan Bhattacharyya,

Heartiest thanks to Post4VPS and Virmach for my wonderful VPS 9!
I absolutely love old computers, The best use i made out of my old computers i hosted CSGO Servers for a year with a really great success. I still remember i had this weird setup on my bed even the motherboard was on the bad but eventually everything grew. I still keep my old cases and stuff around for you know you can something out of it. I usually require so many power buttons and reset buttons for builds and connectors, I literally have 10 cases still with me and literally didn't caused me more than 10 bucks. I hosted my RankingSystem and 3 CSGO servers on my Core2Quad and AMD x3 i dont remember the name exactly, But it still worked better than even the i7's.
Thanks to ReadyDedis and Post4VPS for the amazing VPS 7!

You all surprised to know many videos are available on youtube who guide how to get gold from old CPU's RAM's and mother boards. it quit long and difficult process and people do it. and if you have any know how about electronics. you can use many many of parts to repair any other new electronic device. as i do. i unsold all component and store into a box with separate values. and you surprised to know once i make a chopper with CD rom and floppy loading motors.
Heart LOVE FOR ALL  HATRED FOR NONE Heart
(07-10-2020, 10:45 AM)sagher Wrote: You all surprised to know many videos are available on youtube who guide how to get gold from old CPU's RAM's and mother boards.

getting gold that way is quite risky, Because this process causes very dangerous chemical reactions!
must be done carefully! Big Grin
Terminal
Solo Developer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
04-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: humanpuff69
05-17-2017, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Golden

person_pin_circle Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Sponsors: VirMach - Host4Fun - CubeData - Evolution-Host - HostDare - Hyper Expert - Shadow Hosting - Bladenode - Hostlease - RackNerd - ReadyDedis - Limitless Hosting